Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students crossing the road at back of WIT

• 21-10-2010 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭

Idiots the lot of them!

Sorry for being so blunt but why do they insist on crossing the road without using the traffic lights/pedestrian crossing.

Today at lunch time I was driving down the road when a group of 20 students blindly walked out in front of my car and another car coming the other way. They looked, saw there was traffic coming but still walked out. I had to stop quite suddenly and was annoyed enough to roll down my window and shout at them. They thought it was a great laugh but I could have easily hit one of them and someone could have driven into the back of me forcing my car further forward.

Maybe they dont see what the problem is but doing stuff like that will only get somebody hurt in the long run.

Has anyone else seen this happening? It happens to me all the time over there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jimmay!

maybe your driving too fast there??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Are you talking about the back entrance off Brown's road? With the roundabout there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Rabble rabble........

Seriously though, maybe an email to WIT OP? They are like lemmings when in large crowds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

If it happens to you
    all the time over there
    then maybe assume it's going to happen every time and drive slower. It's only a bunch of folks crossing the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Jimmay: I had just pulled out of the industrial estate(exit about 100m away) so I was'nt going fast. 45kph I think but definitely not over the limit.

I was talking about the back exit across from the aib. The one that has a crossing with lights about 40m away.

I'm sure someone else has experienced this and I'm not alone in my frustration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

This happens everywhere, its not just students.

old gregg wrote: »
    If it happens to you then maybe assume it's going to happen every time and drive slower. It's only a bunch of folks crossing the road.
    I dont mind people crossing the road but when they have a blatent disregard for traffic then it gets frustating. I'm usually very accomodating to pedestrians but today was just so unusual that I felt the need to post it up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Dermo909,
    In fairness Irish people have a problem with obeying the law which leads to nearly everyone jay-walking, not just students. We have developed a sense that the law is there to be gotten around, is only a guideline, also the law has been badly enforced in this country since the state was founded.
    To get things changed, the Gardai will have start doing something about it and people like your good self, will have to start obeying the law, not jay-walk, etc.
    To look at things with a different slant, law-breaking including jay-walking in Berlin is frowned upon, someone seen jay-walking is likely to have his/her poor behaviour pointed out by a Berliner saying 'what if a child sees you'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Yeah because students are the only ones that Jaywalk in Waterford :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Yeah because students are the only ones that Jaywalk in Waterford :D
    indeed, students have to jaywalk in order to steal traffic cones :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭DailyBlaa

Well I was walking home from WIT today and had a near miss because some moron must think people walking are mind readers, why can't people learn to use their indicators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Triona23

Many joggers also think they have the right away across roads, and that the traffic will stop for them. They want to keep up the momentum and so jog straight out in front of traffic presuming they're going to slow or stop. Its really hard to spot them on these dark evenings too.

Triona23 wrote: »
    Many joggers also think they have the right away across roads, and that the traffic will stop for them. They want to keep up the momentum and so jog straight out in front of traffic presuming they're going to slow or stop. Its really hard to spot them on these dark evenings too.

Yeah while I understand their reasoning behind it, it doesn't change the fact that roads are primarily for motor vehicles. It's funny because the ones who make an effort to slow down and kind of check what you're going to do, I'm happy to wave out in front of me, but the ones who don't even bother, I feel like running down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

The rules of the road only apply to motorists....get over it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

After crossing that road multiple times going to work after college, I've never gotten any arguments from someone for crossing away from the lights. Only problems I've run into are fuppin eejits who dont indicate coming in/out of the industrial estate and in/out of WIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jackhammer

danjo-xx wrote: »
    The rules of the road only apply to motorists....get over it :D

You're obviously a law student:rolleyes:

ROAD TRAFFIC (TRAFFIC AND PARKING) REGULATIONS, 1997 Section 46

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a46

8 paragraphs worth of how pedestrians should cross roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

OP, you have to remember that where these students come from, they are used to traffic approaching them at a much slower speed and they can almost always get to the other side of the road before the tractor mows them down. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Being idiots or not, dont they have right of way on the road? (pedestrians not just students)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

robtri wrote: »
    Being idiots or not, dont they have right of way on the road? (pedestrians not just students)

If the pedestrian is already crossing on the road when the motorist approaches, it's up to the motorist to stop and give way. That doesn't mean a pedestrian can be walking along the footpath, see plenty of cars on the road, and just decide to step off into the road in front of them expecting them to jam on the breaks. (Of course the motorist should stop anyway so as not to kill a pedestrian, right of way or not, but it doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid, ignorant, dangerous and downright thick to step out under moving traffic). Unfortunately, large crowds of pedestrians often act like sheep - if they see one idiot crossing, they all follow suit without looking.

As for the joggers mentioned above - I think I'd rather stop at the edge of the road and keep jogging on the spot and wait for cars to pass, rather than ending up in A&E after darting out in front of a car so as not to "break my momentum".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 cackling hens look out

gscully wrote: »
    OP, you have to remember that where these students come from, they are used to traffic approaching them at a much slower speed and they can almost always get to the other side of the road before the tractor mows them down. :p

Very funny !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭newportwex

Students cross the road in front of cars on purpose to impress their braindead pals and look "hard" in front of them. I see it every single day on the way to and from work in the in the IDA.

Anyone who has the misfortune of ever having to drive into templars hall will know that they think they can walk out in front of cars and not only is it ok but they think it's hilarious.

I'd like to think if one of them got knocked down and badly hurt it would stop the rest of them, but I don't even think that would work.

OP is dead right, but I'm afraid we have to just be more vigilant on the roads in these areas, things will never change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I always thought of it as a game.50 points for every student you run down.100 if they smell studenty aswell

I always thought of it as a game.50 points for every student you run down.100 if they smell studenty aswell

:D I've given one or two of them a good fright in my day, the smile goes off their faces pretty quickly....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I don't think it's a case of them trying to be 'hard'. It's just pure laziness. They're taking the direct route between WIT and the IDA Campus. Yes, it would be safer for them to use the pedestrian crossing, but sure then wouldn't we be giving out about them holding traffic up when they're old enough to cross the road themselves? :rolleyes: God knows, I give out about it when the AIB ladies do it!

This laziness isn't just a student trait either, though I do see some ridiculous examples of it, like driving from Comeragh Green and parking in Lismore Park just to be closer.

We all like to take the shortest route whenever possible.

gscully wrote: »
    I don't think it's a case of them trying to be 'hard'. It's just pure laziness. They're taking the direct route between WIT and the IDA Campus. Yes, it would be safer for them to use the pedestrian crossing, but sure then wouldn't we be giving out about them holding traffic up when they're old enough to cross the road themselves? :rolleyes: God knows, I give out about it when the AIB ladies do it!

This laziness isn't just a student trait either, though I do see some ridiculous examples of it, like driving from Comeragh Green and parking in Lismore Park just to be closer.

We all like to take the shortest route whenever possible.

Yeah but it's stupidity! If I was crossing there, I don't think I'd be using the pedestrian crossing but I wouldn't be so thick as to be unable to judge when it's safe to cross the road. It's not that difficuult in fairness.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah but it's stupidity! If I was crossing there, I don't think I'd be using the pedestrian crossing but I wouldn't be so thick as to be unable to judge when it's safe to cross the road. It's not that difficuult in fairness.

Exactly, most adults in Ireland jay walk but are capable if judging when to cross. WIT Students seem to either think that it's "cool" to walk in front of cars or that they are too important to wait for an approptriate time to cross...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

It's a problem in a lot of places in Waterford,have you ever been in the lights outside Dunnes heading in the Patrick Street direction,people just walk straight out in the both set of lights no matter if the lights are green or red,and then they look at you like your in the wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's a problem in a lot of places in Waterford,have you ever been in the lights outside Dunnes heading in the Patrick Street direction,people just walk straight out in the both set of lights no matter if the lights are green or red,and then they look at you like your in the wrong.

That is annoying, but also annoying is when the opposite happens and cars go through the pedestrian crossing when they have the green light. I've been on the receiving end of both.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has experienced the phenomenon of students crossing the road in an unsafe way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has experienced cars not indicating and then acting as if it's your fault.....

Advertisement