Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Navy Is Coming In

Options
  • 21-10-2010 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭

Up 10 NATO warships are due in Cork this weekend on a courtesy visit, the ships will berth at Cork City Quays. Dont tell the girls they are coming or there will be none left for us :D:D

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Cue protests from Sinn Fein/SWP/Richard Boyd-Barrett/Eirigi/other lefties (yawn)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

any idea what kind of warships these will be? just small mine layers/sweepers or something more impressive and worth seeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I think they're all mine sweepers from an exercise. It'll still be worth seeing - you rarely see that many naval ships in the harbour.

LE Orla J.J. Horgan's Wharf

Admiral Cowan - Estonia North Custom House Quay
    Crocus - Belgium North Custom House Quay
    Fgs Rottweil - Germany North Custom House Quay
    Hms Penzance - UK North Custom House Quay
    Hnlms Zierikzee- Netherlands J.J. Horgan's Wharf
    Hnoms Hinnoey - Norway J.J. Horgan's Wharf
    Orp Czernicki - Poland J.J. Horgan's Wharf
    Orp Mewa - Poland J.J. Horgan's Wharf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

I thought we were a neutral country? Why are they being allowed to dock here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ireland is not a neutral country

And if we were, the navy and entire defence forces would be a lot larger then they are now

If you can, post some pics :)

• Advertisement

well whether we're neutral or not is another issue but we are definitely not part of NATO. The spectacle of seeing impressive warships aside, these should not be allowed dock at our ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Well lets be thankful they're just here for the spectacle then.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rua327

Don't be panicking. They are leaving on Tuesday. And the L. E Orla is keeping an eye on them ;)

Well, lets be thankful they're just here for the spectacle and let the rest be quiet for a while, eh?

fair enough shur we'll slap the fine war heroes on the back too for murdering 'towel heads' in Afghanistan too while they're here.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rua327

Ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

they will think they have arrived at a mutant sanctuary when they see all the cork girls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

All of them are minesweepers,not too big,pretty much the average small bavy ship you'll see that docks every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

markok84 wrote: »
    I thought we were a neutral country? Why are they being allowed to dock here?
    well whether we're neutral or not is another issue but we are definitely not part of NATO. The spectacle of seeing impressive warships aside, these should not be allowed dock at our ports.
    fair enough shur we'll slap the fine war heroes on the back too for murdering 'towel heads' in Afghanistan too while they're here.

Jeez, your views on foreign policy are fantastic, would you consider running for office?

Also, do me a favour, could you show me where it says we are neutral? We are Non-aligned, major difference.

Finally, if sh1t were to happen, we would depend on NATO, don't even think otherwise.

Afraid of a few sailors?

Am definitely gonna pop down for a look, sounds impressive!

Jeez, your views on foreign policy are fantastic, would you consider running for office?

My views on foreign policy?, that I oppose a war that NATO are active in? and no I'd rather not run for office, Michael Martin's boots are just too big to fill
    Also, do me a favour, could you show me where it says we are neutral? We are Non-aligned, major difference.

Taken from the Defence forces program for goverment 2007-2012
    We will remain firmly committed to maintaining Irish neutrality and opposing any challenges to the triple lock as enshrined in our law. In accordance with this, we will ensure that participation by the Defence Forces in any overseas peace support missions continue to be based on the triple-lock mechanism of UN mandate, Government and Dáil approval.

The Triple lock effectively means that we will not deploy troops to a war zone with the UN without Dáil approval. I understand that we are part of the partnership of peace however, regardless I still think NATO ships should not be allowed dock here.

Am definitely gonna pop down for a look, sounds impressive!

Enjoy yourself, if it's Saturday I'll be firmly rooted in the Fran well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

deRanged wrote: »
    I think they're all mine sweepers from an exercise. It'll still be worth seeing - you rarely see that many naval ships in the harbour.

LE Orla J.J. Horgan's Wharf

Admiral Cowan - Estonia North Custom House Quay
    Crocus - Belgium North Custom House Quay
    Fgs Rottweil - Germany North Custom House Quay
    Hms Penzance - UK North Custom House Quay
    Hnlms Zierikzee- Netherlands J.J. Horgan's Wharf
    Orp Czernicki - Poland J.J. Horgan's Wharf
    Orp Mewa - Poland J.J. Horgan's Wharf

Its called KNM Hinnøy just to correct you there a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

When will they arrive?

xabi wrote: »
    When will they arrive?

tomorrow morning, around 6:30-7:30. they should be there until around Tuesday.
    I should have some photos tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Up 10 NATO warships are due in Cork this weekend on a courtesy visit, the ships will berth at Cork City Quays. Dont tell the girls they are coming or there will be none left for us :D:D

No girls left or no navy boys?! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

markok84Think it is time you grew up just a tad, this planet is quite small and we all need to be a little nice to each other.

What exactly is the problem with them docking here? Why should any nation that we have many bi latteral agreements not be welcomed here in any capacity?

Next time you are out wiht Richard Boyd Barret tell him we said hello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

there are 6 of them on the way, they are sailing in a group south of dungarvan,

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

le orla is in cork harbour,

if you click on the light blue triangles that represent the ships they show pictures,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Dont tell the girls they are coming or there will be none left for us :D:D

Chambers will be packed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Gives new meaning to trolling the docks :pac:

Maybe I will head out this weekend :p

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

Ok the rate this country is going we could very easily end up relying on the rest of the world so don't see how these ships are that much of a big deal.

Also - think of the boost to the local economy. Granted the Jazz will mean there will already be a good crowd around the city these boys/girls will no doubt spend a few bob each while here and really no one in town is going to turn away business not matter where it is from.

Do you think we will be able to bring kids down to the quay to look at them as with other big ships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Don't tell the Cork girls!
    They'll be all over the sailors and ignoring the local lads :(

it's well worth heading down to see them. lots of different ships and weaponry to be seen.

5107706716_8b2da42eda.jpg
    Orla and Hinnoy by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

5107109119_0dde1b93d3.jpg
    Mewa by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

5107108825_11789c0f1f.jpg
    Czernicki by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

5107108589_a6fa0c21f4.jpg
    IMG_5260 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

5107108251_129afa6539.jpg
    IMG_5255 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

5107705206_24a3e282f5.jpg
    IMG_5254 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

5107704860_efb552fe0d.jpg
    Orla by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

5107107297_e8b8372d50.jpg
    Rottweil by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

5107107001_8321284ec0.jpg

5107703856_444112b801.jpg

5107106303_23001bf936.jpg
    Hinnoy by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

are people allowed to go on board any of the boats? I'd love to have a look around some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

I know its off topic but does anybody remember when the JFK aircraft carrier was in Dun Laoghaire?

The ship was too big to dock inside the peer and ended up docking out in the sea. Small boats had to bring visitors out to it and ended up tearing the ****e out of the side of the boat!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    I know its off topic but does anybody remember when the JFK aircraft carrier was in Dun Laoghaire?

The ship was too big to dock inside the peer and ended up docking out in the sea. Small boats had to bring visitors out to it and ended up tearing the ****e out of the side of the boat!!!

I was lucky to be able to get on board the JFK it was unreal how big she was and all the aircraft on board her, in fact what caused the damage was the pontoon that was towed from Cobh and tied alongside to allow boats to tie up there, there were two metal bollard types at each end of the pontoon and a gale blew up and they put two large holes in her side. One of the crew told me she went through several wars and never had an incident but they visit Ireland and nearly sink her. :D

Advertisement