Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should an 'intermediate' level surfer be able to do?

Options
  • 21-10-2010 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

hollysf wrote: »

Get out the back consistently without ditching their board (seen one longboarder on holidays ditch his board every wave), catch green waves, bottom turn left and right, trim and stay with the wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

Get out the back consistently without ditching their board (seen one longboarder on holidays ditch his board every wave), catch green waves, bottom turn left and right, trim and stay with the wave.

Great thanks, what do you mean when you say trim..

hollysf wrote: »
    Great thanks, what do you mean when you say trim..

Control the speed of the board by moving your weight forward and back to match the speed of wave

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

i'd be of the opinion that an intermediate surfer should be able to cut back frontside/backside, basic snaps, floaters etc and be comfortable in large surf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Most good surfers are intermediate in my opinion. Like wha is an expert? You would have to be pretty class to be an expert.

• Advertisement

gerk86 wrote: »
    i'd be of the opinion that an intermediate surfer should be able to cut back frontside/backside, basic snaps, floaters etc and be comfortable in large surf

Yea dude
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyutwC_4USA&

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Jomob

id disagree,thats kinda like saying that someone of that standard is halfway between a total beginner and a pro when in reality that person would be closer to the beginner end of things! I would class that as an 'improver'.

imo an intermediate should be able to do basic snaps and cutbacks as said above.

Jomob wrote: »
    id disagree,thats kinda like saying that someone of that standard is halfway between a total beginner and a pro when in reality that person would be closer to the beginner end of things! I would class that as an 'improver'.

imo an intermediate should be able to do basic snaps and cutbacks as said above.

Thanks, was looking at surf holidays online and was just wondering about the different levels they offer

Where you thinking of going?

Where you thinking of going?[/QUOTE

Yes, not till early next year though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Jomob

where though?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

I would look at it this way:

Beginner -> no experience.

Expert -> can handle themselves in all but the hairiest of conditions. Handle means they are not a danger to themselves or anyone else. It does not include any particular skills

Intermediate -> Halfway. Would not ditch a board. Has paddling technique and stamina. Knows themselves, breaks and ability. Would not fall very often if a break is known to be dangerous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

I would think most Irish surfers are intermediate. I'd say there are very few 'experts' apart from the pros etc.

Like I mean unless you are pro or very very very good, I wouldn't go around calling myself an expert.

Jomob wrote: »
    where though?

France/Portugal

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

NickDrake wrote: »
    Like I mean unless you are pro or very very very good, I wouldn't go around calling myself an expert.

Likewise.......an Irish complex?

(But seriously, I'm not)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭pswanto

i think there are five categories in my opinion,
    Beginner, improver, intermediate, expert and pro in that order. dunno how to describe their abilities though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

pswanto wrote: »
    i think there are five categories in my opinion,
    Beginner, improver, intermediate, expert and pro in that order. dunno how to describe their abilities though.

+1
    very few intermediates around and a handful of experts overall.

The best surfer is the one having the most fun now shut up and go surfing, I wish I could - f-ing dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭pswanto

The best surfer is the one having the most fun now shut up and go surfing, I wish I could - f-ing dublin
    Then im the best f%@kin surfer IN THE WORLD! :D:D

Advertisement