Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 bus

Options
  • 21-10-2010 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

Does the 17 bus leaves the terminal by the sport centre, or up near engineering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Engineering!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It goes from the bus stop at Engineering, where the 10/2/3 buses go from!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Bryan4president

If your going to Blackrock for an exam, make sure you go to the bus stop early, because the 17 is ridiculously unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Thanking you all kindly.

No exam luckily :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fairyprincessx

If your going to Blackrock for an exam, make sure you go to the bus stop early, because the 17 is ridiculously unreliable.

On that note, i've an exam there next week, how long should I leave to get there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

On that note, i've an exam there next week, how long should I leave to get there?

I'd be there between an hour and a half, to an hour beforehand. The 17 bus is unreliable and if there is an exam, there will be a large crowd of UCD students getting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I suggest just getting the 46a/145/7b/7d/84 to Stillorgan, then walking through Priory and Avoca to get to UCD Blackrock. It would save you the trouble of waiting for a 17, even if it's twice as long a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fairyprincessx

I'd be there between an hour and a half, to an hour beforehand. The 17 bus is unreliable and if there is an exam, there will be a large crowd of UCD students getting it!

Ya I was thinking about that length of time would be needed!
    Ruski wrote: »
    I suggest just getting the 46a/145/7b/7d/84 to Stillorgan, then walking through Priory and Avoca to get to UCD Blackrock. It would save you the trouble of waiting for a 17, even if it's twice as long a walk.

Thats not a bad idea, I don't mind walking, but hate being stessed. I'd much rather walk into an exam windswept than rushing! Thanks! :)

Ya I was thinking about that length of time would be needed!

Thats not a bad idea, I don't mind walking, but hate being stessed. I'd much rather walk into an exam windswept than rushing! Thanks! :)
    It takes about ten minutes to bus to Stillorgan. And the walk to UCD from there takes 25 minutes maximum. So 35 minutes versus at least an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

You're all mad if you are getting a bus 90 minutes before a test. The walk is an easy 30 minutes - all downhill. Get the bus back but it clears the head to have a nice leisurely stroll to Blackrock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

You're all mad if you are getting a bus 90 minutes before a test. The walk is an easy 30 minutes - all downhill. Get the bus back but it clears the head to have a nice leisurely stroll to Blackrock

As a person who communtes from Smurfit to Belfield every day I would not reccomend walking it - not least the fact that if you are not familiar with the route you will quite likely get lost (unless you go the absolutely most obvious route down to the bottom of Mt. Merrion Avenue with no short-cuts: but that isn't a 30 minutes walk; more like an 75-80 minute.

Hell it would take almost 30 minutes to cycle (at a leisurely pace). And it by no means is all downhill!

If you actually get the 17 (which does happen sometimes; particularly early evening and very early afternoon) the journey takes 15 minutes + 5-10 minute walk.

Edit: Get there early, bing yur student card and you can study in the Smurfit Library; it's only 3 or 4 minutes away from the exam centre, on the same campus; can't miss it.

Alternatively, if you are a gambling sort of person you can get the 46A to the top of Newtownpark Avenue and hope for a 114 to come alone, which will drop you right outside the exam centre.

Do note the 114's timetable before taking such a risky move tho.

I live on the other side of Carysfort Park from Smurfit. It usually takes me 15 minutes to cycle to Belfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

As a person who communtes from Smurfit to Belfield every day I would not reccomend walking it - not least the fact that if you are not familiar with the route you will quite likely get lost (unless you go the absolutely most obvious route down to the bottom of Mt. Merrion Avenue with no short-cuts: but that isn't a 30 minutes walk; more like an 75-80 minute.

Hell it would take almost 30 minutes to cycle (at a leisurely pace). And it by no means is all downhill!

If you actually get the 17 (which does happen sometimes; particularly early evening and very early afternoon) the journey takes 15 minutes + 5-10 minute walk.

Edit: Get there early, bing yur student card and you can study in the Smurfit Library; it's only 3 or 4 minutes away from the exam centre, on the same campus; can't miss it.

Alternatively, if you are a gambling sort of person you can get the 46A to the top of Newtownpark Avenue and hope for a 114 to come alone, which will drop you right outside the exam centre.

Do note the 114's timetable before taking such a risky move tho.

What pace do you walk or cycle at?????

I live at the top of Carysfort Avenue and I've walked home form UCD before-35 minutes tops, walking....add on 5 minutes extra for getting down Carysfort Avenue, 40 minutes tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

What pace do you walk or cycle at?????

I live at the top of Carysfort Avenue and I've walked home form UCD before-35 minutes tops, walking....add on 5 minutes extra for getting down Carysfort Avenue, 40 minutes tops.

35 minutes walking from UCD to Stillorgan then from Stillorgan to Carysfort...

maybe...

with rollerskates :p

Okay, okay I know you probably are using short-cuts and the like but the thread is designed for people who don't know how to get to Blackrock, and the short-cuts I developed included going up many cul-de-sacs and useless routes.

Takes me 18 minutes to walk from Stillorgan to the bottom of Carysfort Avenue (as-in near the Avoca pub) and 8 minutes to get from the bottom of Carysfort Avenue to the top of Mt. Merrion Avenue by cycling. My record for making it to UCD by cycling was 12 minutes I think but it was undone by the increased recovery time...

I'm just not going to say 'ah sure it is like 10 minutes away' cuz if you have an exam in Blackrock and you havn't put an hour aside to get to the exam Centre for your first time then you might be asking for trouble.

For the reference, I had an exam two weeks ago in Smurfit.

It was at 6. I got the 5.05 bus from UCD, which arrived 5 minutes late, took ages to board because loads of students were getting on, but still made it on time!

I assumed the bus would be late, but I never thought about the possibility of it not even showing up! The next bus would have been late, I think! I was actually outside Smurfit with between 15-20 minutes spare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

35 minutes walking from UCD to Stillorgan then from Stillorgan to Carysfort...

maybe...

with rollerskates :p

Okay, okay I know you probably are using short-cuts and the like but the thread is designed for people who don't know how to get to Blackrock, and the short-cuts I developed included going up many cul-de-sacs and useless routes.

Takes me 18 minutes to walk from Stillorgan to the bottom of Carysfort Avenue (as-in near the Avoca pub) and 8 minutes to get from the bottom of Carysfort Avenue to the top of Mt. Merrion Avenue by cycling. My record for making it to UCD by cycling was 12 minutes I think but it was undone by the increased recovery time...

I'm just not going to say 'ah sure it is like 10 minutes away' cuz if you have an exam in Blackrock and you havn't put an hour aside to get to the exam Centre for your first time then you might be asking for trouble.

Fair enough :pac:

Advertisement