Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EMF Detectors

Options
  • 21-10-2010 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Lets face it, most people dont know what an electo-magnetic field is outside leaving cert science and most people dont know how and EMF meter works however they are the must have for all paranormal groups out there.

What I want to know is how do we know that ghosts cause a spike in EM activity? What is the origin of the EMF theory. Personally I dont buy into it at all but im wondering, do people use EMF meters because the other guys told them to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I don't use them myself but I suspect others do due to seeing them used on TV and in movies and other groups using them etc...

I would say that its possible that the use behind them came from people using an EMF to take readings of the location to see if they change during an investigation and with that over time it snow balled from a legitimate use to people trying to use then to 'detect' ghosts. Almost like Chinese whispers.

At the end of the day it was designed for one purpose alone, it wasn't designed to 'detect' ghosts and there is no evidence to suggest that it can, its just people putting ideas that ghosts cause EMF spikes out there and people living by them.

This brings on the topic of all devices used by investigators, none, not one single device used has any evidence to support that it can detects ghosts, its all based on assumptions and guess work.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

They react to magnets and electrical currents dont they? Surely that makes them useless due to false positives anyway. I remember my hubby in Blarney making one react to his 'brainwaves'* during an investigation.

*the magnet stashed in his hoody. :p

No clue how they came to mean ghosts are around, but Ziycon probably has it nailed.

I saw a franks box the other day, seemed to me to be just zipping through radio signals. Another piece of kit that doesnt seem to do what is claimed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I think they should ONLY be used as in trying to find electrical currents and not really use them and come to the conclusion there is a spirit or anything about reacting to the EMF meter.

Iv always said.

1) Video
    2) Sound
    3) Senses

Are the best 3 things to use in a paranormal investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Until the mechanics of what a "ghost" is is understood, all people can do is monitor and document environmental conditions and the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i use an emf meter to trace emf, which itself might cause people to think they're having a paranormal experience.

I've been talking to Barrie Trower about the whole 'emf affecting the brain' bit and I think its viabale. not just emf, but also microwave radition from wireless networks and phones can also affect us.

I really dont go for the idea that ghosts create and emf field and then pop up in it. If they do exist, I think its an interesting idea that they might be able to manipulate enivronmental fields though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

Oryx wrote: »
    I saw a franks box the other day, seemed to me to be just zipping through radio signals. Another piece of kit that doesnt seem to do what is claimed.

I don't know about that.. The jury is still out, we used it in Leap Castle and my name was called about 5 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Ruth KPS wrote: »
    I don't know about that.. The jury is still out, we used it in Leap Castle and my name was called about 5 times.
    Matrixing!

Ziycon wrote: »
    Matrixing!

Hmmm I don't know. If it was just myself that heard it, I would be inclined to agree with you.. but 13 of us heard the same thing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Whats a Franks box?

newmug wrote: »
    Whats a Franks box?

http://askville.amazon.com/franks-box/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=57350907

The jury is still out though as I have only used it twice.

The first time was in Kinnitty Castle, when we asked if the voice coming through knew the nickname of anyone at the table, and there was a girl in her early 20's, and it called out her nickname that her family have for her. Scared the bejaysus out of her.

Then in Leap Castle, and my name was called out about 5 times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement