Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch out, Gatso is about!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

So the old N3 is now an 80kph zone for real?

they're going to pay for the Gatsos in a week @ rush hour on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

So the old N3 is now an 80kph zone for real?

they're going to pay for the Gatsos in a week @ rush hour on that road.

You do know what happens to speed cameras on the Kells road, don't you??? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

bladespin wrote: »
    You do know what happens to speed cameras on the Kells road, don't you??? ;)

I do, but necklacing traffic corp isn't considered kosher, even by Top Gear aficionados.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

You dont see them putting a huge amount of money/effort into helping stop this happen

"According to the HSE’s National Office for Suicide Prevention (NOSP), 424 Irish people took their own life in 2008, a figure far greater than the 276 lives lost on Irish roads during the same period"

Oh yeah, there's no money to be made in that...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

Looked like 2 gatso vans on the Trim - Navan road this week. One was white the other Green. One just outside Navan the other about half way between Trim and Navan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

drvr wrote: »
    Looked like 2 gatso vans on the Trim - Navan road this week. One was white the other Green. One just outside Navan the other about half way between Trim and Navan.

Do you know the make and model of the vans?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

All locations are published on the garda site

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6497

That map kinda looks like the country has just caught the measles :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Just had a look at the map online of the locations of where these cameras will be - yet again it looks like they are trying to force us onto the motorways and pay the tolls!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Just had a look at the map online of the locations of where these cameras will be - yet again it looks like they are trying to force us onto the motorways and pay the tolls!!

Said it in a different thread but totally agree.
    Lower the speed limit of the old N3 to a mindnumbing speed of 80kph and overpolice the road to "encourage" people to use the M3 and pay the tolls.
    And to make a point.. If the N3 and the backroads are covered in ice or snow, will they lift the toll to encourage people to stay off the N3 and use the motorway because it's
    "safer"??? I dint think so. So is it really about saving lives or gaining revenue? Another dirty tax as if we don't pay enough already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

There was a Navy Transit Gatso parked up outside the Canterbrook estate on the Trim Road in Navan Last week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

The GoSafe vans will only be in the areas on the map on Garda.ie but the regular Garda Gatso vans can be anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

never wash your car,black dirty reg plate,problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

LOCAL councils are to put up hundreds of signs across the country to alert drivers where the new network of mobile speed cameras will be located.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/signs-to-warn-motorists-of-new-mobile-speed-cameras-2388839.html

So why Have I seen a GOSAFE speed trap on the N2 (Outside Monaghan Town North bound) on Friday afternoon With NO visible signs warning traffic of this speed camera... In fact the ONLY speed camera signs I seen were on the A5 in Northern Ireland!!!
    New name for GOsafe ....TAXSPEED

I don't tend to speed myself... But am no saint !!
    And if they want to hit drivers with this Tax, then spend the Money collected on improving our roads and not doing Brian's, Berties Makeup...etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

checking cars coming into navan.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

mad dave wrote: »
    checking cars coming into navan.:)

Real accident black spot that is! :rolleyes: Just as the speed limit reduces too! Thank god I only drive on weekends!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

jezko wrote: »
    LOCAL councils are to put up hundreds of signs across the country to alert drivers where the new network of mobile speed cameras will be located.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/signs-to-warn-motorists-of-new-mobile-speed-cameras-2388839.html

So why Have I seen a GOSAFE speed trap on the N2 (Outside Monaghan Town North bound) on Friday afternoon With NO visible signs warning traffic of this speed camera... In fact the ONLY speed camera signs I seen were on the A5 in Northern Ireland!!!
    New name for GOsafe ....TAXSPEED

I don't tend to speed myself... But am no saint !!
    And if they want to hit drivers with this Tax, then spend the Money collected on improving our roads and not doing Brian's, Berties Makeup...etc..

What's the point in warning people about a speed camera? :confused: Then people going to just slow down for that particular area and it's a completely pointless operation.

I'm a speeder myself but if I don't expect to be warned that there's a HIDDEN speed camera. I shouldn't speed in the first place and if I get caught I'll have to face the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

What's the point in warning people about a speed camera? :confused: Then people going to just slow down for that particular area and it's a completely pointless operation.

I'm a speeder myself but if I don't expect to be warned that there's a HIDDEN speed camera. I shouldn't speed in the first place and if I get caught I'll have to face the consequences.

The whole Idea of these cameras is not just to catch speeders...

It's to reduce DEATHS on our roads... At least that's what it being SOLD as RIGHT???

So yes you will drive down these Roads see these Signs warning you that a Camera is possibly ahead of you...and if you were speeding you would SLOW down... These Cameras are to be based in "High Risk" areas ... You see the Warning Sign you don't want to get caught speeding, and maybe you don't become another victim of an RTA .

So my Question is.... Where are these Warning Signs... Telling us that people got HURT HERE... Speeding along this Spot... The camera may be around the next corner ...or more than likely NOT...But will you risk points/fines knowing you are about to entry a High risk area.... You will make People think and ACT

Also What if you are speeding and see the camera from a distance ... and not having much experience some people may just BREAK HARD and cause an accident... Irish Drivers love to Tail Gate... It rains a hell of a lot so we have slippery roads... Would you want to see the CAR in front of you skid trying to reduce the excessive speed it was doing...

I have Driven in the UK... and damn near very Entry point into Villages/Towns has Speed Camera Signs.... I tended to SLOW Down.... As Most would... Was there a Camera there? Have No Idea... But I have No Point's or Fines...
    And touch Wood haven't hit anyone ....

Also these GOSAFE Cameras will not be hidden... they are in Marked vans... Or at least they are supposed to be... if you see a hidden Camera... it's the local Plod collecting for this Broke State.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E8F_mL1nug&feature=related

sorry in advance if this has been posted here already:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The Go safe cameras are NOT hidden, they are supposed to work overtly as opposed the the GTC which will continue their speed checking covertly.

The aim is supposed to be to make people aware of their speed on a road where it is dangerous to break the posted speed limit. Hence the sign-age.

However judging by minister Ahern's reaction on live TV when Dempsey tried to state that he hoped no one was fined (Along with mountains of other irregularities and information) it is quite clear it is a revenue generating exercise masked with the fashionable "safety" word.

Why else would the government spend 65million on something which will save maybe 5 lives max 10 per year when the same money spent on suicide and depression prevention would save 100's of lives a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

jezko wrote: »
    The whole Idea of these cameras is not just to catch speeders...

It's to reduce DEATHS on our roads... At least that's what it being SOLD as RIGHT???

So yes you will drive down these Roads see these Signs warning you that a Camera is possibly ahead of you...and if you were speeding you would SLOW down... These Cameras are to be based in "High Risk" areas ... You see the Warning Sign you don't want to get caught speeding, and maybe you don't become another victim of an RTA .

So my Question is.... Where are these Warning Signs... Telling us that people got HURT HERE... Speeding along this Spot... The camera may be around the next corner ...or more than likely NOT...But will you risk points/fines knowing you are about to entry a High risk area.... You will make People think and ACT

Also What if you are speeding and see the camera from a distance ... and not having much experience some people may just BREAK HARD and cause an accident... Irish Drivers love to Tail Gate... It rains a hell of a lot so we have slippery roads... Would you want to see the CAR in front of you skid trying to reduce the excessive speed it was doing...

I have Driven in the UK... and damn near very Entry point into Villages/Towns has Speed Camera Signs.... I tended to SLOW Down.... As Most would... Was there a Camera there? Have No Idea... But I have No Point's or Fines...
    And touch Wood haven't hit anyone ....

Also these GOSAFE Cameras will not be hidden... they are in Marked vans... Or at least they are supposed to be... if you see a hidden Camera... it's the local Plod collecting for this Broke State.

Ah ok. I hadn't looked at it that way. I stand corrected :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement