Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new motherboard?

Options
  • 21-10-2010 4:02pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My power supply was turning off so I bought a new one, after it wouldn't come back on. Now I think it was a problem with the mother board?
    It has a 24 pin power supply and a 4 pin power supply. I hooked up the new power supply and nothing comes on at all, the lights come on the motherboard and the front of the computer but no fans etc.

If I pull out the 4 pin power from the mother board everything comes on, all the fans, gfx card etc but there are three red lights staying on on my ati hd4870(as well as the normal green ones) and there is no signal from it to the monitor.

So I take it there is some short or w/e in that 4 pin connection on the mother board? any way around this or do I need a new motherboard? :/

edit: does it matter that I am plugging in a 6 pin connector from the psu to the 4 pin connector on the motherboard at all? There were no 4 pin wires coming from the psu, i read on another thread that the 'wrong' 4-pin connector from their psu plugged in so it wouldn't go on, are they not all the same?

any tests I can do? reseating ram etc? hmmm

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

There must be an 8 Pin connector that can be split into 2 X 4 on the PSU?

The 6 Pin connectors are PCIe express power cables meant to be plugged into graphics card.

The red lights on the ATI card signals a power problem, two of the 6-pin PCIe connectors should be plugged into that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks I had just found that and shoved it in without splitting it and it worked, whoops. I see now that it splits into two sets of 4. :D
    My method of plugging in things til it works is second to none, heh.

Day is saved! Now if komplett had just delivered everything I'd ordered I'd have a working pc probably.

Advertisement