Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stolen Bike - what to do?

• 21-10-2010 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi All,

I took up cycling last year to get to work and now getting into it as a hobby (done a few 50k spins building up to 100k).

However, my bike was stolen from my shed two nights ago. Quite hassled by it (but no attempt to get into the actual house - thank god). It's a real pain as I had added lots of little things to the bike - child seat, front pannier, etc. which are going to be a pain to replace.

The Garda came around but seemed unsure of any chance of getting the bike back.

I think the chances are minimal and I need to look at a replacement. I had a Trek 7.3 FX and really liked it but two options:

1) Is there a cheaper bike that just as good? (can't do the cycle to work scheme again as only available once every 5 years I think)
    2) Is there a better bike you can get for the price? (about €550 if I can swing it or claim on insurance) I've seen people recommend specialized and la pierre...

Also, I didn't have the bike separately identified in my house insurance, does anyone know if I can make a claim or if its worth the hassle (i.e. higher premiums going forward)? I know it depends on the policy but any general experience in this would be useful.

Many thanks,

Pyat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Sorry to hear about your bike. Keep an eye on adverts.ie and get something second hand. Sounds like you'd be more suited to a drop bar racer if your doing 50-100k than a 'fitness' bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭superrdave

Check your home insurance. It may well be covered on it, although it may affect your no claims bonus. In short, if it is going to affect your no claims such that your insurance is going to cost 100 quid more for three or four years, so what? The bike cost 550 quid. Look at it like a straight financial decision, and remember you pay insurance for a reason.

Also, henceforth, you should probably keep an expensive bike in the house rather than the shed. You should be able to get a relatively cheap second hand racer like a trek 1.2 or 1.5 for 500-700 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You don't have NCBs on household policies. Insurance companies say household claims don't affect future premiums, it didn't for a claim I had. However that doesn't stop them asking about previous claims and loading you for it but you don't build up and carry claims free years with you. OP, only your policy schedule and insurer can tell you if you can claim for the bike, give them a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I had a bike stolen from my shed that i claimed on my house insurance, didn't effect my policy the next year, but have a look at your excess before you put in a claim as some can be pretty high.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mccarrd2

Article in todays Independent about Bike Insurance, chill.ie mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

some house policies DO have NCB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've been in the industry almost 15 years and never came across one. If you have a policy with an insurer that does give you an annual NCB you're stuck with them as others simply won't recognise it, unlike motor policies. Some will give discounts for not claiming but it's not a NCB or scaled, just a flat rate unrelated to how many years claim free you are. Anyway, we're heading off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 pyat2010

Thanks All, I think that I'll go ahead and make a claim.

Does anyone have any views as to whether I should stick with the Trek 7.3?

Thanks again,

Pyat

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

bryaner wrote: »
    I had a bike stolen from my shed that i claimed on my house insurance, didn't effect my policy the next year, but have a look at your excess before you put in a claim as some can be pretty high.

Was your bike recorded separately on your house insurance?
    Did the insurance company ask questions about whether the shed, bike, or both were locked?

Just wondering if this affects your claim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

pyat2010 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any views as to whether I should stick with the Trek 7.3?

As someone else said if you are getting into 50-100km spins you should get a road racing bike. Check the Cycling Adverts sub-forum and Adverts.ie for a decent second hand bike. Plan to spend €400 - €500 on it.

• Advertisement

The bike was not separately listed on my policy but I could claim under the general contents. They did ask was it in a locked shed (which it was).

My ambition is to build up to a 100k spin (over time), I can do 50k now but it takes me about 2hrs, so I'd say I'll need a while to double the distance in a respectable time. I'd use the bike everyday for commuting and bringing my daughter to creche so I think a hybrid may still be my best bet for the time being.

I'll check out adverts.ie

Thanks again.

Pyat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭40040D

Sorry to hear,

Two of mine were taken from the house at the start of august, A Banshee X (that cost waay too much!:P) and the brothers one

Very annoying. I'm still not sure if its worth claiming off the insurance..you're gonna pay for it in the long run anyway..

I reported them but unfortunately these bikes that are stolen are often stripped and re-sprayed..

Best of luck. hope you get it back
    Make sure to check:
    • Local Traders
    • Local Markets
    • Donedeal.ie
    • Adverts.ie
    • Gumtree.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

Some policies have a maximum payout for a bicycle of around €350 so check your documentation.

Hybrids are great for short commuting and the odd longer spin. You are already spending 2 hours at a time and looking to increase that. You'll be up to 100 by summer I'm sure. Why not buy the proper bike now when you aren't in a hurry, there are lots available and you have time to get used to it?

No reason you can't drop your daughter off on a racing bike.

Try examining the reason you don't want to get a racing bike and see if they stack up rather than trying to justify another hybrid.

pyat2010 wrote: »
    The bike was not separately listed on my policy but I could claim under the general contents. They did ask was it in a locked shed (which it was).

My ambition is to build up to a 100k spin (over time), I can do 50k now but it takes me about 2hrs, so I'd say I'll need a while to double the distance in a respectable time. I'd use the bike everyday for commuting and bringing my daughter to creche so I think a hybrid may still be my best bet for the time being.

I'll check out adverts.ie

Thanks again.

Pyat

HappyHarry - that is a very interesting perspective! I definitely have a think about that!

The excess on my policy is €250 so I'm stuck with that but with replacing the bike and all the kit on it (child seat, panniers, etc.) it will prob be in the €700+ range so better off making the claim. Need to look at the second-hand options obviously...

The potential increase in annual premium would be €35 so the maths work out in favor of putting in the claim.

Fingers crossed the NCB starts to accumulate again and there are no further claims.

Thanks again,

Pyat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dunnangall

I had a small claim in March and come renewal time some of the other ins. companies would not even quote regardless of the amount paid out.

Advertisement