Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Arch Techs out there sole trading?

Options
  • 21-10-2010 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,

Boards newbie so hopefully not breaking any forum rule with this question?

I am an architect (victim of the recession) but have set up in private practice recently. I am getting a steady stream of work thankfully.

I now need help with Tender Docs / specification preparation. Basically I need to outsource it so that I can concentrate on the design elements and client interaction.

Are any Arch Techs on here, registered sole traders who would be willing to do some contract work?

Anyone who might be interested PM me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Well you have come to the right place as there quite a few technicians here and some are sole traders just like myself.

Unfortunately I charge "Dublin rates" so you wont be able to afford the cost of my services - see what I just did there sinnerboy ;):D

Nah just kidding. Im in Donegal so thats kinda off the beaten track. However there are plenty more techies here and I'm sure some of them will be in touch by PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Just to narrow it down, what area are you talking about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lady Lulu

Hi Muffler and Poor Uncle Tom,

Well in these days of the internet Donegal is not that far off the beaten track!!

I am in Leinster, commuting distance from Dublin, Meath and Kildare so if anyone in and around those areas is interested.

As I am a newbie, I think I have just received a message saying that I can't get PM's yet...I think....Don't know how to get around that??

What are ballpark hourly rates now?? I was a technician in a former life and would love if I could pay someone what I used to get per hour.....The currency not being legal tender might be a problem though.....!

OK, really showing my boards greenhorn-ism now......:rolleyes:

I can actually receive PM's!!

Thanks

Lady Lulu wrote: »
    OK, really showing my boards greenhorn-ism now......:rolleyes:

I can actually receive PM's!!

Thanks
    tbh Im not sure what the story is about sending PMs. I know that a long time ago you had to have something like 25 posts before you could send a PM but I think that was done away with.

You can certainly receive PMs and reply to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think you still can't send PMs to others, to prevent spam.
    Can recieve and reply to pms recieved.

Best of luck with this LuLu

I am in Leinster, commuting distance from Dublin, Meath and Kildare so if anyone in and around those areas is interested......!

Everywhere is commuting distance these days....:D

I'm in Munster, but work is hard won these days so I think you should get a good response, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bazma8

I've sent you a PM. Let me know if you don't get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kobayashi2010

Lazy architects passing off the difficult work to the technician and paying them peanuts to do it, now there's an old fashioned view.

Lazy architects passing off the difficult work to the technician and paying them peanuts to do it, now there's an old fashioned view.
    Not really what this thread is for so I'd ask you to stay on topic please.

You're new here so we can leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kobayashi2010

I may be relatively new to the forum, but I've experienced plenty of architects like that in my time, and I care about this industry and won't have it undervalued.

I may be relatively new to the forum, but I've experienced plenty of architects like that in my time, and I care about this industry and won't have it undervalued.
    Infraction given for posting off topic despite being advised not to.

Kobayashi2010

You don't know me or the sky over me, but here is a little background.

I am and worked for many years as an Architectural Technician and returned to college to do the five year degree in architecture full time, which I completed, in five years, which is rare enough as anyone who has qualified as an architect will tell you.

While in college I worked for a number of Architects over the years on a contract basis and my work was never undervalued or underpaid.

The roles of architects and technicians are closely intertwined but the focus by training alone is in different areas.

It is because of my previous experience and how grateful I was for the contract work that I posted the thread here in the first place. I am not lazy. I work alone. So I am my own secretary, receptionist, meet the clients, do the site visits, design, lodge planning applications, tender to contractors, supervise on site etc. And FYI I am working a 60 to 70 hour week presently and that is physically unsustainable.

You are the only negative response that I have received. I got loads of PM's from genuine people who gave me their real names, mobile phone numbers and links to websites and I am very grateful to now have a varied pool of contacts who I will neither undervalue or disrespect.

I also care about this industry!

I also care about this industry!
    All very nicely put, I'm also glad to see you got a good response....:)

All very nicely put, I'm also glad to see you got a good response....:)

Thanks, Poor Uncle Tom, hope things are well down Munster way!:D

Advertisement