Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Boole's house falling down?

Options
  • 21-10-2010 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Lots of fire engines and guards at Bachelors Quay earlier today. Apparently. parts of the building collapsed. More:
    http://bit.ly/9qL95H

Awful shame if this isn't repaired.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it certainly doesn't look good:

5102682692_328ef8c736.jpg
    IMG_4864 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

5102682996_16482e40a7.jpg
    IMG_4861 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

But then it hasn't looked good for many years and nothing has been done about it!
    Nice images of the building as it stands today.
    This building stands testament to the inability of Cork City Council to enforce any sort of building control, not least on protected buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

It actually looks pretty treacherous. That roof looks like it could collapse at any time!

Something will be done after someone is hit on the head by a piece of falling debris. Unfortunately.

good snaps by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Did I hear that it collapsed this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

shnaek wrote: »
    Did I hear that it collapsed this morning?

I passed it at half eight and it was still fine (ish).
    I did hear AA roadwatch saying that a building had collapsed on Grenville place, but that wasn't correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The Ceilings have collapsed apparently, not the building itself. This is a huge pity, because where it is, it's constantly getting pounded by the floods - big and small. The building is beautiful, especially the tower next to it, they'd make a fantastic townhouse/apartment, or even offices for UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

http://understandingscience.ucc.ie/pages/sci_georgeboole.htm

A plaque on the house in not enough. The place should be respected and renovated, are you listening UCC?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd agree with Deliverance's view, however given his importance to the foundation of the IT industry, perhaps a few emails to some IT companies might as well be in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 The Nipp

"Fiasco"?

They have started removing the roof off this building today. Not sure whether that is a good or bad sign to be honest. More pictures from today (from www.communicatescience.eu)

IMG_4187.JPG

IMG_4188.JPG

• Advertisement

There is now an online petition that you can sign to show your support.

http://4c110.ucc.ie/aiai/boole-petition

Get signing!

The petition has now collected over 1000 signatures. A good indication, I think, of the importance of this building.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Apologies for reviving a very old thread but work has finally(!) started on the the George Boole house this morning! Does mean Grenville Place is closed off for a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Great news that work is finally starting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Was closed off today anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

opus wrote: »
    Apologies for reviving a very old thread but work has finally(!) started on the the George Boole house this morning! Does mean Grenville Place is closed off for a while though.

South bound only.

The scaffolding has come down so guess most of the exterior work is complete.

2v10mrk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Candlewick

Good to hear that it's secure.

So much for so called restoration, they have secured the outer walls and built a portal frame structure inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Candlewick

aujopimur wrote: »
    So much for so called restoration, they have secured the outer walls and built a portal frame structure inside.
    I'd say it's an attempt at preservation rather than restoration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Candlewick wrote: »
    I'd say it's an attempt at preservation rather than restoration.

I suppose it either is or it isn't <boom boom boolean joke right there, I'll get my coat>

All the exterior work is finished now it looks likes, guess the next step in the project is the interior fitout.

egu2wo.jpg

As usual, Cork City Council asleep, road closure signs still in place a week later.

As usual, Cork City Council asleep, road closure signs still in place a week later.

Road is staying one way. Work will start shortly to permanently upgrade the area, footpaths, etc. with the one-way system staying in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That's all that they care about here, what it looks like on the outside.
    Strip the interior and leave a shell.

Phase one was just the exterior as far a I remember so presumably the next phase will be internal. UCC want people to give them money to help finance it btw, see the website here.

Not that they're short of cash btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

That's all that they care about here, what it looks like on the outside.
    Strip the interior and leave a shell.

There was no interior left more or less. Most of the internal floors and walls had rotted away and what was left was beyond saving.

Came across this lately, a list of what UCC is up to on the building front at the moment, not sure if the Boole house at the bottom is an order of priority or anything.
    • Student Hub
    • 3rd/4th Floor Western Gateway Building
    • ASSERT at Brookfield
    • New Student Accommodation (Victoria Mills\Crow’s Nest)
    • Art/Architecture (with CIT) @ Douglas St.
    • Kane Building Redevelopment
    • Dental Hospital Relocation
    • Paediatrics\Infant (CUH campus)
    • Clinical Medical School (CUH campus)
    • Lapps Quay\Business School
    • Creative Hub for Arts
    • Investment in Sport (Curaheen/Mardyke)
    • Environmental Plan (Perrotts Inch Bridge)
    • 5 Grenville Place (Boole House)

Looks like the list above wasn't ambitious enough, this is in today's paper!

Site search is on for new €100m UCC Business School

• Advertisement

Road is staying one way. Work will start shortly to permanently upgrade the area, footpaths, etc. with the one-way system staying in place.

Work has kicked off, blurb from council is attached....

Advertisement