Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charge Controller

• 21-10-2010 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey Guys

CivEng grad interested in building small wind turbine. How tough would it be to build (or how much would it cost to order) one of these

chargecontrollerschematic.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

No idea because you're in the wrong forum :o Off you go! :)

Apologies in advance if this is too electronic-y for you Tom/muffler, shove it into Electrical or somewhere if need be :o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Oh, and as for "order" if you mean get a small wind turbine, oh, only €1200-2000 plus installation! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

If you mean the PCB, well, I'm guessing it would be €50-100 for the board if they were being produced in actual (small) volume and €100+ for board + components, higher still if you wanted it assembled. And you'd need to find someone producing (or willing to produce) these DIY DC generator controller modules in question first! :o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

My wind turbine came with one of these low voltage controllers with op amps and so on on a board, but I'm in the process of chucking this and writing a programme for a PLC instead.

I first started using the PLC as a controller for a turbine we were designing, and as I got to use this I realised that for about €100 you get a fully programmable system with relays, gates, voltage comparitors, timers, boolean logic etc., giving much more flexibility, so I'm retrofitting one onto our other (24V) turbine at home. You also get the option to write menus, and the one we use has a four line LCD so you can tell the user what's happening.

Best of all, you can customise it later without taking out the soldering iron.

You may still need a small board with a resistance divider and capacitor on it to measure the voltage, but that'll cost about 10c for the components.

You can get PLCs that work on 12V or 24V DC, PM me if you have trouble finding one that you can work with.

Advertisement