Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Large number of arrests at muppet convention

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

To have their cars squashed into a cube infront of them, or the Jeremy Kyle show.
    either or.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Phew.

Bert and Ernie are safe. Misleading thread title, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

They'll probably get a slap on the wrist (I'm being realistic) but if it were up to me all their cars would be crushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Delighted for anyone who got caught for no insurance..

As for the messing around, well at least its in an industrial estate and not on actual roads?

But i suppose, like the Guard says in the article, the worry is that they'd be acting the bollocks when they leave the estate aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Pookah wrote: »
    Phew.

Bert and Ernie are safe. Misleading thread title, OP.

Yeah. I thought it was going to be Gonzo.

• Advertisement

Misleading thread title :(

But
    Offences include having no tax or insurance
    the potential loss of their licence was a sanction they feared most.

I don't think so ted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

there are no facilities for people who enjoy modified cars to meet on an informal basis. i hate boy racers and dangerous drivers on the roads, but we have to be very careful not to get demonize everyone who likes modified cars and want to gather with others of the same ilk. burn-outs, doughnuts and generally messing about cause nobody any harm as long as they're away from the public - so whats the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

there are no facilities for people who enjoy modified cars to meet on an informal basis. i hate boy racers and dangerous drivers on the roads, but we have to be very careful not to get demonize everyone who likes modified cars and want to gather with others of the same ilk. burn-outs, doughnuts and generally messing about cause nobody any harm as long as they're away from the public - so whats the problem?

Demonise people who like modified cars? You do realise that 99% of people who buy modified cars are scum...who needs to hear stupid modified engines or a subwoofer blaring as you do laps of an area at 4am in the morning? And dont get me started on dump valves and oversized exhausts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

there are no facilities for people who enjoy modified cars to meet on an informal basis.

i know its not informal but
    Mondello Park has Track days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

flyton5 wrote: »
    Demonise people who like modified cars? You do realise that 99% of people who buy modified cars are scum...who needs to hear stupid modified engines or a subwoofer blaring as you do laps of an area at 4am in the morning? And dont get me started on dump valves and oversized exhausts...

oh but the noise it makes when the car changes gear is so cool....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

burn-outs, doughnuts and generally messing about cause nobody any harm as long as they're away from the public - so whats the problem?
    Acting on a tip-off from local residents, officers blocked the estate and questioned every driver involved.

Obviously there's nearby residents who have to listen to that rubbish.
    And I imagine it was at nighttime.
    Imagine 100 cars with loud exhausts driving up and down your street to get to a disused car park.

I love that the guards done them for having bald tyres too.

If there's 100 cars, then there's plenty of them to organise a proper legal location themselves somewhere. Mondello track day or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Thought this thread was going to be about a riot at the Fianna Fail Ard Fheis.

here i'm not a petrol head at all - but i dont think its a good idea to lump everyone together who likes souped up cars thats all.

my bro-in-law has a typical boy racer car, a civic type r. it's a beautiful car and he treats it like his baby. he's a very responsible driver but if he wants to get the full whack out of the car it's either be a danger on the road or pay fairly big money into mondello track days where you dont have the 'fun' associated with just messing about in it. i just dont see why there cant be organised, legal meets for people who pursue car modification as a hobby. jesus you can go and shoot guns with less restriction than you can do a burn-out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I have to say I watched a gang of modified car drivers pull into a garage one day, and i admired some great and some not so great handy work. They should have no problem finding somwhere to mess around if they stick to the law while on the public highway and inform the cops/local authoriity of their intentions off road. Just like the skate boarders did.

The Aussie wrote: »
    i know its not informal but
    /Car%20Track%20Days%20|%20Track%20Days%20|%20Mondello%20Park.webloc
    Mondello track day or something.

mondello is for racing your car, not for generally meeting with other enthuiasts and generally messin about. somethig i think these lads should be entitled to do as long as it's not causing anyone else hassle.

i understand why nearby residents would be pissed off - thats fair enough - but this could be negated if these lads were not pushed underground and generally labled 'scum' which one poster very unfairly just did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Doesn't seem as potentially dangerous as rallying. Narrow tracks with spectators crowding all the bends and banks, souped up cars at high speed etc. The public are a hell of a lot closer to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Echospace

The problem? They're not away from the public. People actually work in industrial estates at the weekend too.

Also I don't know a single person who drives a "modified car" and isn't a complete sh1tebag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I work in the estate where the dickheads carry out their crap. Most Monday mornings you will see at least 1 car burnt out. A car was burnt out at the enterence to our place, damaging company property. The phone lines were also damaged so we lost a lot of business for the day. The estate management company put some speed ramps things down, but these get ripped up leaving crap all over the road.

We, as other companies in the estate, get overseas customers / investment in, and it look very unprofessional 9see knacker camp) to bring these people through the crap in the estate from those tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ph3n0m666

best quote in the article

"“If you are aware of somebody acting the maggot....."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Echospace wrote: »
    The problem?
    Also I don't know a single person who drives a "modified car" and isn't a complete sh1tebag.
    So you don't know everyone...
    Generalise much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

This isn't about muppets! you lied to me:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

mondello is for racing your car, not for generally meeting with other enthuiasts and generally messin about. somethig i think these lads should be entitled to do as long as it's not causing anyone else hassle.

i understand why nearby residents would be pissed off - thats fair enough - but this could be negated if these lads were not pushed underground and generally labled 'scum' which one poster very unfairly just did

drug driving is fairly fucking scummy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I have to say I watched a gang of modified car drivers pull into a garage one day, and i admired some great and some not so great handy work. They should have no problem finding somwhere to mess around if they stick to the law while on the public highway and inform the cops/local authoriity of their intentions off road. Just like the skate boarders did.
    ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ph3n0m666 wrote: »
    best quote in the article

"“If you are aware of somebody acting the maggot....."

Gardai always seem pretty definite that someone has been observed 'acting the maggot' and as you know there's no room for vagueness in a Garda's vocabulary so I'm pretty sure there must be a definition of 'acting the maggot' in statute somewhere.

I thought "mahna mahna" when I saw the thread title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

fontanalis wrote: »
    Excellent, now what would be a suitable punishment for these morons?
    Nothing, isn't public scorn on a day to day basis surely enough?...basically every time anyone sees a pimped-up Civic or Punto doesn't the phrase 'mickey issues' pop into mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

This is gonna be bad for the fellas who just meet up to talk about their cars and have a chat, not fcuk around. Or for those who go on cruises too.
    Not everyone who owns a modified car is a scummer, ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

here i'm not a petrol head at all - but i dont think its a good idea to lump everyone together who likes souped up cars thats all.

my bro-in-law has a typical boy racer car, a civic type r. it's a beautiful car and he treats it like his baby. he's a very responsible driver but if he wants to get the full whack out of the car it's either be a danger on the road or pay fairly big money into mondello track days where you dont have the 'fun' associated with just messing about in it. i just dont see why there cant be organised, legal meets for people who pursue car modification as a hobby. jesus you can go and shoot guns with less restriction than you can do a burn-out!

Why don't you invite them 'round to your gaff and let them make **** out of the tarmac, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Out in Australia they call these guys hoons, much metter terminology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Everytime I see "muppet" in a thread title the first thing into my head is "Kermit, what have you done now!?!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

From reading the article, people were caught for no tax, no insurance, bald tyres, etc. Those are the same laws we're all subject to. Nobody's been convicted of the crime of "acting the maggot".

If you're breaking laws, then don't draw attention to yourself by disturbing the local community. "The Fast and the Furious" isn't a guide to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭wexfordia

I'm just glad Kermit & Miss Piggy are ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭LarrytheLantern

i love this story!!!

Make 'em forfeit their driving licence, crush their souped-up micras and send 'em a bill for €3k.

that would soften their cough!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Driving with drink or drugs or bald tyres or no insurance = bad.

Taking your nissan micra to an industrial estate for a few handbrake turns = I dont do it myself but is essentially harmless.

Fitting a dump valve/turbo etc - most of the time they wont work properly unless done professionally - but dump valves do sound cool. Mostly a harmless waste of money.

If you want a high-performance car - they are not available in this country for any kind of sane money - so get a motorbike, and learn to drive it properly.

The news media in this country loves reporting on RTA deaths because it is simple, cheap, human interest, demands no thought, and has become a habit. It also suits the cops, who provide the information freely to them.
    This long weekend about 4-6 people will be killed in RTAs. This is tragic. I worry about my own kids learning to drive. But when we are driving to work on Tuesday morning we will hear all the gory details of everybody who died in an RTA over the long weekend. RTE go so far as to include the 6 counties in the RTA tally. They are on a mission.If this trend continues then I estimate that by 2020 they will include the RTA tally in Kathmandu.

BUT! , no coverage of suicide, which results in over twice as many deaths every year ( & is rising). How many unfortunate people will commit suicide this long weekend? How many will die on hospital waiting lists? How many will die in A&E?

I suggest that people try not to get too self righteously indignant about garda publicity stunts & ongoing media biases.

- FoxT

PS - RTA = Road Traffic Accident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

• Advertisement

Echospace wrote: »
    The problem? They're not away from the public. People actually work in industrial estates at the weekend too.

but that's my whole point! take them off the streets where they're not wanted an put them somewhere they can engage in this activitity without being a nuisance!
    aDeener wrote: »
    drug driving is fairly fucking scummy

did i say it wasn't? again, generalise much?
    ascanbe wrote: »
    Why don't you invite them 'round to your gaff and let them make **** out of the tarmac, etc?

i certainly will not. but the point again is why is there no facilities for enthusiasts to go somewhere where they wont wreck my head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Is that stat correct ya? :rolleyes:

What do you define as modified? Surely a change to anything other then an original part is a modification?

Silly post, Im not a "boy racer" nor do I drive a "modified" car but some people people who modifiy a car do it with interest and dont want to be driving up and down a housing estate at all hours. As always its the small miniority that ruin it for the genuine, honest folk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

I'm glad for this one... in Clondalkin myself you see a lot of muppetry going on and i'm absolutely delighted the gardai caught all of them at once and nailed the lot of them.

punishment ?

if it we're up to me i'd ban the lot of them until they are 25, grow a pair and stop wearing tracksuits tucked into their socks and hoodies and the likes !

hopefully their insurance companies will also take note of this and up their insurance to a couple of grand regardless of how small a car is micra 1L or 1.4L and if they go anything above 1.4L they should get charged an extra premium !.

also stricter rules like no tinted windows or loud exhausts and the likes !

although the one's at the time really taking the piss should be locked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

You do realise that 99% of people who buy modified cars are scum....

You do realise you are talking out of your hole?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Just so that the thread title isn't 100% misleading, here's something muppet related.

All those who are convicted should be forced to watch this clip 10 hours a day for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

“If you are aware of somebody acting the maggot like we saw in Clondalkin, let us know. We will get them to realise the risks involved and you won’t have so many people standing at graveyards.

People don't stand at graveyards, silly!

Well, maybe for about an hour then p!ss off to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

FoxT wrote: »
    Driving with drink or drugs or bald tyres or no insurance = bad.

Taking your nissan micra to an industrial estate for a few handbrake turns = I dont do it myself but is essentially harmless.

Fitting a dump valve/turbo etc - most of the time they wont work properly unless done professionally - but dump valves do sound cool. Mostly a harmless waste of money.

If you want a high-performance car - they are not available in this country for any kind of sane money - so get a motorbike, and learn to drive it properly.

I think this clip can be extended to encompass how the majority of us feel about bikers and boy racers

Advertisement