Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone played Costume Quest?

Options
  • 21-10-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭

Just played through the demo (XBLA) and it’s quality stuff. Hadn’t heard a single thing about it prior to release but saw that it’s a Tim Shaffer game and decided to give it a go. It’s got all the trademarks of a Double Fine game from the sight gags to the easter-eggs but for all the world it plays like a updated version of Earthbound, which can only be a good thing.

Definitely worth trying out at the very least. I’m gonna have to get me some Live points.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

Definitely worth trying out at the very least. I’m gonna have to get me some Live points.

More points you say see here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056067483

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just played through the demo (XBLA) and it’s quality stuff. Hadn’t heard a single thing about it prior to release but saw that it’s a Tim Shaffer game and decided to give it a go. It’s got all the trademarks of a Double Fine game from the sight gags to the easter-eggs but for all the world it plays like a updated version of Earthbound, which can only be a good thing.

Yeah played if for a half hour or so last night and one word: adorable. It's such innocent fun. It's probably as good a game about Halloween as you are going to get, and about the overactive imaginations of kids. I'd say kids would love it, but tbh I got totally caught up in its charms too! A JRPG-lite turn based battle system, lots to do, lots to collect, plenty of fun dialogue. I can see it being misunderstood, but can't wait to get more time with it (although I am a Double Fine groupie) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭ongarite

Got this game yesterday. Currently on world 3 and its fantastic.
    Sure the JRPG battle system is very easy but its a great experience and idea.

Recommended to those looking for a quick and fun game to play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It’s got all the trademarks of a Double Fine game from the sight gags to the easter-eggs but for all the world it plays like a updated version of Earthbound, which can only be a good thing.

Earthbound you say? I've just become very interested. Thought it would be more like Diablo since it's a western game didn't know it would be more like a JRPG. Definitely trying the demo tonight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Earthbound you say? I've just become very interested. Thought it would be more like Diablo since it's a western game didn't know it would be more like a JRPG. Definitely trying the demo tonight.

It's very basic JRPG, this should be stressed. The combat is very much turn based combat for beginners.

But that doesn't matter, because the whole package oozes charm. If you ever played with action figures as a kid, this game will appeal: it definitely is one of the strongest recreations of childhood imagination I've come across. I think dismissing it as simplistic would be missing the point, as it's designed to be that way. It's also designed to be fun, which it also most certainly is.

That said, I was embarrassed when I had to check google to figure out how to get past a certain bit trying to find an ingredient for pie :o Damn
    squirrel
    hiding in a garden!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's very basic JRPG, this should be stressed. The combat is very much turn based combat for beginners.

So is Earthbound, it's pretty much dragon quest so I'm even more interested now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Played it, finished it and loved it.

It's super cute and I'm really looking forward to the next Double Fine downloadable game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭ongarite

I want a Christmas or Easter themed DLC version to go with this Hallowen version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

This is the most charming little game I've ever played. Just fantastic.

Last night, I found a reference to Arrested Development - it doesn't get any better than that.

Gaming needs more people like Tim Schafer, people who understand how much humour can add to a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

There's an interesting article in Edge this month about the method Double Fine used to brainstorm this game along with a couple more they've got on the way.

Haven't played it yet but have to say it looks great, and I will watch/play/buy anything with Arrested Development references, so will be picking this up for sure now :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I had great fun playing the game, even though it's only 4-5 hours long. It's quite immersive too. You sit down to play, and before you know it it's 1am :)

I wonder how it'll appeal now that Halloween's over.

Advertisement