Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Preserving Beetroot

• 21-10-2010 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭

Has anyone got any recipe for preserving beetroot? I have two drills of fairly big size beets and i would love to jar them and have them for the winter and spring.:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I grow my own beetroot too and I use it to make chutney. Here's the recipe I use:

3 Ibs Beetroot
    1 Large Onion
    1 Large Cooking Apple
    12ozs Sugar
    2tspns Ginger
    Level tspn Salt
    1 Pint Vinegar

Method:
    Cook Beetroot and dice into small pieces
    Peel and dice onions
    Peel and dice Apple
    Put into large pan and add sugar, salt, ginger and vinegar.
    Bring to the boil and simmer, uncovered, until ingredients are soft.
    I sometimes thicken it with cornflour mixed with water if it's a bit thin.
    Fill jars and label.
    Tasty on meat sandwiches or added to salads.

You could also pickle the beetroot, there will be lots of recipes on the web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭kathleenl

Hi Dizzyblond.
    Thanks for your reply, but i am no good with spices. I was hoping for a recipe without spices or other veg. I am trying to get them in the same way that you would find them in the shop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

As far as I know, all you have to do is to boil the beetroot until tender, peel and slice them and put them into sterilised jars. Then you cover them with boiling vinegar. You can add a little sugar if you like.
    You can use unboiled vinegar but it won't last as long.

What vinegar is best? Cider vinegar, Malt Vinegar, White wine vinegar etc... and how much sugar would you use?
    This is my first time preserving beetroot and i don't want to mess it up. I would love to be able to open a jar next January or February and say i bottled these last October and they are still lovely.:)

I've never done it myself, so I think your best bet would be to google until you find a recipe that you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Laurenisme

Hi Guys,

I don't mean to butt in on your posts but I wonder could I ask a couple of questions about pickling/preserving beetroot as I have never done it before.

I came across some chilli beetroot in tesco's and they are really tasty but quiet expensive. So I though I might be able to do it myself?!

I did come across this recipe, so I wonder would putting a half a chilli in the jar with the beetroot come out the same way they do it in tesco. They are not that spicy but just a nice hint of chilli.

I bought some cooked (sealed) beetroot as I couldn't find any fresh. Do you think if i was to put the cooked beetroot back into the pot with the chili to heat (I would assume you would need to do this to make sure it's sterile) and have the jars sterilized. Then put the beetroot and chili in the jars to keep.

Do i need to add vinegar?
    Do you think this would work with pre cooked beetroot or do i need to buy it fresh instead?
    And will washed ordinary jars work or should i get some killnear jars?

Thanks for your help, and sorry for butting in.

Lauren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭sdp

Hi kathleen, for shop bought taste, but better :) its malt vinegar, salt and sugar,

1kg beetroot
    220g sugar
    1litre malt vinegar, ( or white distilled,not as strong tasting)
    2 tablespoon salt

trim beetroot leaving 3cm attached, wash carefully,
    add beetroot to large pan of cold water
    boil 45 min or untill tender
    reserve 125ml of cooking liquid
    rub skin off beetroot, quarter, or if small leave whole, then place in hot sterllised jars,
    combine reserved cooking liquid,sugar salt and vinegar in large pan,
    stir over heat, without boiling, unitll sugar is dissolved,
    bring to boil,
    pour liquid over beetroot,
    seal while hot,
    should make about 2 litres,

hi Lauren,
    you could try same, but use cider vinegar, 1 small cinamon stick, 8 black peppercorns 4 small dried chilles, 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds,
    leave out salt,
    add these to pan when with reserved cooking liquid,
    i've only used fresh beetroot,so not sure how cooked would work.
    make sure you sterillise jars, ordinary metal lids are not suitable as the acid content of the preserve will corrode the lids, any lined or plastic screw top lids will give a gd seal
    good luck with it, :)

Hi Sdp.
    Thanks a million for the recipe. I am looking forward to putting it to use this year. The goat got at my last batch so that was a failure, this time i grew them in raised beds with cloche netting (chicken wire). They are growing lovely and with no weeds to look out for i am delighted. I am going to try to jar up two lots.. one ordinary and i am going to use the recipe you gave Lauren too.. (sorry Lauren.. that's what happens when you hop on a topic);)

Will let you know how they turn out later in the year.. also thanks to Dizzyblonde i tried the beet chutney.. its gorgeous.. brilliant with cold chicken or cooked honey glazed ham, i havent tried it with anything else yet..

Advertisement