Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MDF paint

• 21-10-2010 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for recommendations for a decent MDF paint. Boxed in the pipes for the bathroom and want to paint the MDF white. I've already primed with PVA (5 to 1 water mix) Thanks.

K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

one coat of emulsion fill sand and 2 satin would be my preferred way

so after pva i'd fill sand and 2 satin if i was you

or fill undercoat and satin if you have u/c handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

soundsham wrote: »
    one coat of emulsion fill sand and 2 satin would be my preferred way

so after pva i'd fill sand and 2 satin if i was you

or fill undercoat and satin if you have u/c handy

Is the emulsion fill just to help the paint adhere to the wood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

fill = fill holes;)

emulsion is used to prime the mdf
    fill any holes
    sand it and dust off
    coat with satin
    light sand and 2nd coat of satin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Can I use any satin paint on MDF? Was in the local hardware store and couldn't find any specific 'finishing paint' for MDF, only primer and undercoat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

A few coats of emulsion paint will do the trial.you dont need anything more fancy than that. As said above fill the holes and sand them as well. I have used this method countless times when i needed to paint plain mdf when fitting shops.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,675 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

soundsham wrote: »
    fill = fill holes;)

emulsion is used to prime the mdf
    fill any holes
    sand it and dust off
    coat with satin
    light sand and 2nd coat of satin

hi there, im going to have a large surface of mdf to paint in a few weeks... 2.4 x 3.15

if i use this spec for the paint, including the PVA sealer, any ideas what time it will take from start to finish? im not clued up on drying times etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Emulsion is fine for painting MDF if you don't mind it raising the "grain" somewhat and it does drink paint also. A quick way to seal MDF is to thin oil based undercoat down with up to 20% white spirit and use this as a first coat, no PVA. Apply with a small roller and you'll find it will be touch dry in minutes. After 12 hours or so de-nib with a fine abrasive sanding block, wipe down with a damp cloth and apply your chosen finish- oil based gloss or satin, water-based emulsion or eggshell. I like to seal with an oil based paint as it gives good coverage, prevents the MDF soaking up water based finishes and is durable and prevents wicking, especially machined edges.

Advertisement