Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A taste of the future from the Dutch?

Options
  • 21-10-2010 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

The Netherlands will no doubt give plenty of ideas to our ignorant, tone deaf members of government with this drastic idea of cuts......

From the Tom Service Blog on guardian.co.uk...................

"Dutch arts cuts – what the future looks like?

The Hague is planning to axe a crucial classical centre, home to three orchestras. It could be a sign of things to come for us

News just in from Holland that could be be an omen for the UK after the comprehensive spending slash in a couple of weeks. The Dutch government has proposed that the Muziekcentrum van de Omroep in Hilversum – better known as the Netherlands Broadcasting Music Centre – be closed down. If the Dutch parliament passes the motion, it would mean the closure of a symphony orchestra, a chamber orchestra, the world's largest pop and jazz orchestra and a library.

The Netherlands Radio Philharmonic is the Muziekcentrum's blue-riband ensemble: an orchestra with a proud history, a critically-lauded present and, with conductor Jaap van Zweden at the helm, what looked like a bright future. Their tour to Birmingham's Symphony Hall earlier this year brought plaudits in the papers and the realisation that there's much more to Dutch orchestral life than the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra.

The centre's Netherlands Radio Chamber Philharmonic is one of the best in Holland as well, with Michael Schønwandt as its chief conductor and strong relationships with Franz Brüggen and James MacMillan. The Metropole Orchestra – the Netherlands' equivalent of the BBC Concert Orchestra – is also in fine fettle, as is the Netherlands Radio Choir.

The loss of these ensembles would be a massive bodyblow to Holland's classical scene, not to mention the hundreds of musicians and broadcasters who would lose their jobs, and would have a direct impact here as well. If you listen to Radio 3, you'll regularly hear all of these ensembles thanks to the links in place between Dutch radio and the Beeb. No longer, should they all disappear with a single stroke of a governmental pen.

If you're moved, you can sign a petition protesting at the planned cuts here because, as a baby-faced pseudo-economist once said, we're in this together ..."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Silent Shrill

While I dont wish to be assumed that I disagree with you, there is another point to your thread. Why are orchestras subsidised? Is it because there's no money in it? How many modern music bands/soloist are subsidised by governments? Is it not about time that the musicians you talk about step into the real world?
    They only play at large, expensive venues, where the majority of us mortals cannot afford, (wexford opera house want 25eu per child to see a play), or travel to. It is, and always has been, seen as an elitist subject. Normally attended by black suited, dickie-bowed patrons, with wives/mistresses/partners dressed to the nines dazzling in diamonds.
    I would love to go and see/listen to these orchestras live.......but due to the restraints I mentioned earlier, cannot. When was the last time any of these orchestras played at Wexford quay for free?
    I think maybe it's about time these orchestras had to go out and find a decent manager that can direct them...........because if they are not getting enough patronage to stay afloat, they're not viable. If you want to be an elitist, then let the elitist pay you. There are more important issues with what to do with money than spend it on an orchestra.
    Look back in time at the composers, artist, inventors, etc., that died pennyless........but it didn't stop them. If a musician really wants to play as part of an orchestra, or solo, govt funding, or in this case, lack off, wont stop them.
    As for the broadcasters, etc, perhaps the radio stations might sponsor them.........if they really want to keep these orchestras going as they are now. I'd love to be able to afford to go to Vienna to listen to them...but it just aint gonna happen. You want a Rolls Royce......you pay Rolls Royce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

And I'm not going to disagree with you much either,SS. Yes, there are more important things to spend State money on. But, but, but, I happen to believe the cost of running a full time Symphony Orchestra that is regularly broadcast free to air is value for money - to me at least.
    Now, if there are ineffficiencies in how the group or groups are run - well that should be addressed. The simple fact of the matter is that big orchestras capable of performing large orchestral works just do not break even (if I am wrong please feel free to tell me). They are either funded by the State (Berlin Phil, Vienna Phil) or by mostly private donation (NY Phil and most US orchestras).
    Composers of the past e.g. Mozart, Beethoven may or may not have died pennyless but when they wrote, they wrote for the local royalty or the Church. Royalty raised taxes and the Church raised tithes, so really it's always been this way.
    I'm not saying more could not be done for these orchestras to become accessible, but once they are axed - they aint coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Silent Shrill

And I'm not going to disagree with you much either,SS. Yes, there are more important things to spend State money on. But, but, but, I happen to believe the cost of running a full time Symphony Orchestra that is regularly broadcast free to air is value for money - to me at least.
    Now, if there are ineffficiencies in how the group or groups are run - well that should be addressed. The simple fact of the matter is that big orchestras capable of performing large orchestral works just do not break even (if I am wrong please feel free to tell me). They are either funded by the State (Berlin Phil, Vienna Phil) or by mostly private donation (NY Phil and most US orchestras).
    Composers of the past e.g. Mozart, Beethoven may or may not have died pennyless but when they wrote, they wrote for the local royalty or the Church. Royalty raised taxes and the Church raised tithes, so really it's always been this way.
    I'm not saying more could not be done for these orchestras to become accessible, but once they are axed - they aint coming back.

A very good reply Timmy. It is so good to read a mature response....like a breath of fresh air :D. Perhaps others might like to give an opinion, now there's 2 points of view to this thread.

Advertisement