Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinking Ship

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

OisinT wrote: »
    While you're correct, the main issue here is that the majority of unemployed are in the construction sector (which created domino effect to other sectors) - investing in infrastructure is a solid way of getting people back to work in a way that serves the people in the way described... it's a long-term investment with short-term and long-term benefits to the economy and the people.

I think with the re-org of FAS this is something that should be looked into. Reskill Construction workers to build infrastructure type projects. We may not be able to employ ALL former construction workers but we could re-employ at least 10,000-15,000 in Infrastructural projects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I think with the re-org of FAS this is something that should be looked into. Reskill Construction workers to build infrastructure type projects. We may not be able to employ ALL former construction workers but we could re-employ at least 10,000-15,000 in Infrastructural projects.
    There are a lot of different types of jobs too.

Take Metro North:

Skilled workers for tunnelling
    Skilled workers for station building
    Skilled workers for carpentry, brickwork, etc. (that goes into the finishing of stations)
    Workers in the shops/ticket sales/train driving
    More traffic to areas where there are stations
    More people visiting the country and going into City Centre because it's easy to get in. (they spend money)
    Revitalisation of areas where there are stations (think O'Connell St. more like Grafton St.)

The list is practically never ending... and when these workers are making money again, they spend that money on food, clothes, toys, electronics, etc. Things people used to spend money on.
    People will be able to buy houses and that market can get going again.

The best part is that we have something useful to show for it. Transport systems are always a great investment. Rail is good for us too, because we want to avoid more traffic issues and get people out of their cars in Dublin.

I'd also love to see high-speed rail connecting the big cities. I can dream :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I got my golden pages yesterday with my phone book, I have a stack of them in the garage and the 2011 has over 100 pages less than the 2010 one which is almost 66% smaller than the 2006 one, tells its own story about how two thirds of Irish Business has either been wiped out or has had to cut back so much that they are now not even listed in the yellow pages!

Ireland is phooked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Stinicker wrote: »
    I got my golden pages yesterday with my phone book, I have a stack of them in the garage and the 2011 has over 100 pages less than the 2010 one which is almost 66% smaller than the 2006 one, tells its own story about how two thirds of Irish Business has either been wiped out or has had to cut back so much that they are now not even listed in the yellow pages!

Ireland is phooked
    Or else more companies realise advertising in the golden pages is sooooo 1980 and it's just an extra expense they can afford to get rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

how did you come up with this number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

squod wrote: »
    Austrlians owe a trillion of thier funny dollars to somebody else. Yet we're still emigrating there for work.

Wake the fuhk up FF!

All that proves is the Australian Government is doing something right if the place is still moving on business as usual, granted china wanting minerals at faster rate than Australia can dig helps. But i dont think they have experienced 2 quarters of negative growth (open to correction) so have not technically slipped into a recission.

Ireland on the other hand, i dont think we will find out how bad things are until after the next election, when some people who are not pathological liars (Yes i am implying that Fine Failure could not lie straight in bed) get in. and can give a proper figure

For me the real question is how in that last poll i saw 24% of Irish voters are stupid enough to want them back in for another crack at fcuking up the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Stinicker wrote: »

Ireland is phooked

I've been told that the cost of a listing in Yellow Pages went up by nearly 100% from last year.

That, and many companies might have copped on that not a lot of people use yellow pages any more... waste of money, and waste of time.

Advertisement