Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windsurfing vs Surfing

Options
  • 21-10-2010 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I was just wondering if you've been windsurfing is it hard to swap to regular surfing?

And which in your opinion is better as in more fun?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I made the switch the other way round (went from surfing to windsurfing). I still do both regularly.

They're both different beasts, really. I find that windsurfing can be more consistently rewarding, you can have a good sailing session in far more locations and a broader range of conditions than you can when surfing. There's none of the aggro or competition for space that you sometimes see in surfing. Windsurfing costs more in terms of money (you need far more equipment) and time (rigging and de-rigging and lugging gear around) but once you get out on the water you're always moving whereas when surfing you might have to paddle for 10 minutes for every 20 second ride on a wave. Surfing is nice in that there's something more pure about it - just you and your board, there's no need to rig and tune the tons of stuff you need for windsurfing.

Both require lots of time and practice to get anything out of them. And I wouldn't give up either. All just my opinion of course, I'm sure others will disagree ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

same
    i'm east coast and bought a bic baord, only got west 4-6 times a year,
    i was never going to be a good surfer but really enjoy it. the thrill for me is all about the anticipation, sitting on your board, watching, waiting, picking a wave, going for it and getting that sudden rush of power, half the adrenaline for me comes from not wanting to wipe out because you've invested the last 5-20 mins for this 60 second ride, and it feels awesome when you pull it off.

Windsurfing is expensive but you can pick up good starter second hand gear for about €600, (board+1 sail mast boom etc)
    Its also difficult to learn, and unlike surfing is sometimes not much fun for your first 2 or so sessions.

But if you stick at it you'll crack it. i'll never forget the first time i was properly powered up and planing on a windsurf baord. it felt about 3 times faster and more terrifying than anything i've experienced surfing (i'm not a great surfer!) and it lasted however long i wanted it to!

Another thing i like about it is that its very multi-disciplined, theres kit just for speed, kit for waves, kit for tricks, and almost everything in between,
    you're never done learing or improving. some of the moves that can be pulled off are insane, and the pro speed guys can reach almost 100kmph

Another big factor for me is that you can do it anywhere theres water and wind. Yes the west still is the best for waves and wind, but theres plenty of spots up and down the east coast that are awesome in the right conditions.

I've also found other windsurfers to be really helpful friendly people, probably because theres not a huge number of us.

The one downside is that the kit can be cumbersome,
    when surfing it takes 1-5 mins to set up your board depending on weather your leash and fins are already on and if you need some waxing!
    a board and sail will take 15 mins to set up right, and sometimes there can be an awkward walk to the water with your kit.

Among my east coast windsurfing friends the motto seems to be that surfing is what you do when theres not enough wind!

Edit:
    to actaully answer your question, if you can windsurf you'll have no problem starting surfing!

Advertisement