Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 new plans for smartphones looks like a joke, what is worth getting instead?

Options
  • 21-10-2010 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hello guys,

over 5 years with o2 (pre pay), wanted to get smart phone (HTC Desire in mind) and was shocked that new plan from o2 is 45 euro 150 minutes/text and 500MB data only (18 months contract)... are they crazy? phone is not that cheap as well.

Checked other companies and seems 3 mobile has good deal but e mobile has the best offer (and 12 month contract as well), but to be honest I am not sure about coverage, I mean they all tell you they have 99% coverage, but we all know it is not true. e mobile uses meteor grid and heard as well that there are some reception issues with android on meteor or something...

anyone here has experiance with e mobile? or maybe other ideas for good plan for smartphone. I am not sending that many texts, call more often, and 100-150 minutes would be enough for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

I was in carphone warehouse and was told that that plan is going up in price to 50 euro with included data dropping to only 500mb. I'm just out of contract with o2 and will be leaving.....

The other options are three: classic flex max for €40, 2gb of data and 350 flex units (1 unit is 1 min or 2 txts)

metoer have a bill pay smart plan that is €40 for 18month contract and has 2gb of data and 200mins&txts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I was in carphone warehouse and was told that that plan is going up in price to 50 euro with included data dropping to only 500mb. I'm just out of contract with o2 and will be leaving.....

The other options are three: classic flex max for €40, 2gb of data and 350 flex units (1 unit is 1 min or 2 txts)

metoer have a bill pay smart plan that is €40 for 18month contract and has 2gb of data and 200mins&txts

It's 30e for 200mins/texts and 1gb data, plus free Meteor Calls/Texts if you keep your number.

50e for 500 mins/texts, 2gb data, plus free Meteor Calls/Texts if you keep number.

Free Meteor Calls/Texts are for 12 months, and it's an 18 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Fresh2000

o2 Advance 150:

18 month contract, 45 euro, 150 minutes, 100 texts, 500MB data

3 mobile Classic Flex-Max:

18 month contract, 40 euro, 350 flexi units (1min = 1 unit or 2 texts = 1 unit), 2GB data

e mobile select 300:

12 month contract, 49 euro, 300 minutes, 300 texts, 2GB data

it looks like e mobile has best deal, but I know nothing about them are they good or not, and how is their coverage...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

eMobile has the same coverage as Meteor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Fresh2000 wrote: »
    o2 Advance 150:

18 month contract, 40 euro, 350 flexi units (1min = 1 unit or 2 texts = 1 unit), 2GB data

e mobile select 300:

it looks like e mobile has best deal, but I know nothing about them are they good or not, and how is their coverage...

The three plan also give you an extra add-on of your choosing such as unlimited land line calls or 150 extra texts etc.

• Advertisement

well yeah, but 18 month contract...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

o2 was always overcharging :) took you long enough to realize it :)

well, I am pay as you go Customer, and really happy with their service, have old not available any more plan costs me 12 or 15c per minute so works great, but now when going for smart phone it seems redicoulous.

plus they do not care I am with them for over 5 years (no way to upgrade or get anything extra for upgrading to bill pay), and 3 weeks ago theyr Advance plan looked very different as it was 40 euro and 2GB data and I was prepared to go for it as loyal Customer, but now it is a joke.

Nobody gives a bleep for loyal customers, it seems best option is to change provider every 12/18 months and get extras for the switch...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭MrGarak

Pre-pay/PAYG is rubbish for smartphones, 99c for data per day? Typical Ireland.

The only realistic option to have data on PAYG is to pay the 4.99 out of your credit a month with 3 on 3pay for 500mb of data.

I'm moving back to them from O2. Want to get the Desire HD and they lost the exclusivity deal to Vodafone in favor of the HD7.. Don't even give you any discount to upgrade anyway, full price. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

chrislad wrote: »
    eMobile has the same coverage as Meteor

So crap, unless you live in some dodgy skangertown areas of Dublin :D
    3 have the best plans out there by a mile at the min!
    As a 32 county roaming with work man, I can vouch for their value, and coverage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

I'm leaving O2 ( after 11years ) but I can't decide on Vodafone or Three. I want to get the Desire HD but I think it will be a while before Three get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

yeah three has massive delays in introducing new phones cause of their testing ****

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭MrGarak

Mits wrote: »
    I'm leaving O2 ( after 11years ) but I can't decide on Vodafone or Three. I want to get the Desire HD but I think it will be a while before Three get it.

Here is a thread on on the O2 forums where someone says Three told them they were getting it next month, I would imagine they will only have it on bill though, and wouldn't believe this info til I see it!

O2 also say in the thread they won't be stocking the Desire HD.

I'm probably going to order a sim-free one from the UK once there is steady stock of the device, very pricey though! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I went with 3 and the best thing I ever did. Best plans out there by miles in my opinion :)

The three plan also give you an extra add-on of your choosing such as unlimited land line calls or 150 extra texts etc.

You also can use half of your units to call UK calls :D

Thanks guys that is the feedback I was looking for. If it gooes to Three I like their pay as you go with that 500MB data for 4.99. I have to think now if to go PAYG or bill for 18 months.

one question tho, is it posible like with o2, to send texts globaly from their webpage for free?

[EDIT] just checked myself, texts only to Irish mobile

Thanks guys that is the feedback I was looking for. If it gooes to Three I like their pay as you go with that 500MB data for 4.99. I have to think now if to go PAYG or bill for 18 months.

one question tho, is it posible like with o2, to send texts globaly from their webpage for free?

[EDIT] just checked myself, texts only to Irish mobile

No texts to irish mobiles only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

angel01 wrote: »
    No texts to irish mobiles only.

Aren't 3 in UK though and have a roaming agreement for that kinda stuff?

BostonB wrote: »
    Aren't 3 in UK though and have a roaming agreement for that kinda stuff?

3 have a "3 at home" agreement which helps when you are roaming so you can use your units in the UK just like here.

You can only send webtexts to ROI mobiles.

o2 Advance 150:

e mobile select 300:

Meteor are now offering 400 texts, 400 minutes and 2gb on their website for 40euro. This is for one month sim-free and 18month contracts. Seems to be a limited time offer though. O2 really are absolutely no-where in terms of value now.

• Advertisement

Meteor are now offering 400 texts, 400 minutes and 2gb on their website for 40euro. This is for one month sim-free and 18month contracts. Seems to be a limited time offer though. O2 really are absolutely no-where in terms of value now.

are those meteor only minutes though?

BostonB wrote: »
    are those meteor only minutes though?

You get free meteor to meteor calls and texts for 12 months as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

the offer is really nice, but it says there they out of stock with HTC Desire... grrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

I am with o2 advance 150... 40 euro a month 150mins and 100 texts.... unlimited data(3gb)..... the new plan is a joke.... when my contract is up i wont be upgrading to pay more for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

the offer is really nice, but it says there they out of stock with HTC Desire... grrr

Meteor? Carphonewarehouse have them in some shops.

12 months 200/200/1gb @ €35 pm is the best deal out there I reckon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

racer1 wrote: »
    I am with o2 advance 150... 40 euro a month 150mins and 100 texts.... unlimited data(3gb)..... the new plan is a joke.... when my contract is up i wont be upgrading to pay more for less.

I was considering an upgrade with O2 and to say they are a bunch of muppets is an understatement..

They are charging an existing customer up to 50% more to upgrade to a new phone than they are charging a new customer, even though both have to sign up to a new contract and same conditions and pay the same amount monthly.. it makes no sense

I posted a few things on the O2 forum and the reply I got was "if you spend more per month you get the same deal as a new customer"

Like wtf is that about eh??? :rolleyes::mad:

They obviously don't want to retain customers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Nope they don't.. so guess I'll be moving..

14 years of custom to O2/Esat Digifone spending €2k a year with them obviously means nothing to them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

That's business though - if you want a better deal, switch. Switch back at the end of your contract if that's what is best.
    I've never renewed a mobile phone contract, there's nothing in it for me.

Advertisement