Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 new plans for smartphones looks like a joke, what is worth getting instead?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Well i wont be upgrading on those priceplans at the moment. I will port to 3 or emobile. Who the f... do they think they are. In a recession put up the price of there basic smartplan and reduce the data allowance. Also they have no data plans for prepay. They are falling way behind the competition. I would think they will feel the heat in the next year particularly with the budgets coming our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

02 rang up d sister hour ago to say shes usin lot of money on prepay and they switch her to billpay for €50 for 350 mins and i think 150 txts. she told me she told them to sign her up, i told her to ring them back and tell them to feck off. 02 simplicity looks ok though €20 euro for 100mins + 100txts plus unlim 02 calls & txts. r €30 for same except 150 mins

They are prob under pressure as i would think they are losing a lot of customers. They have no prepay data add on and at 99c are dearest as far as i know for data. There lowest smartplan is the worst on the market. With all the cuts for next year people will be trying to budget more and i for one will be looking at mobile phone bills.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

racer1 wrote: »
    They are prob under pressure as i would think they are losing a lot of customers..

Well what do they expect, they treat their existing customers like dirt and think ah sure they wont move.. People are watching every penny they spend at the moment and O2 are off on another planet ignoring people and their needs and wants.. Reducing minutes and data packages but charging more for the privilege.. Even their phone insurance is way above what others are charging..

As much as I despise Vodafone, I'm seriously considering moving to them as they have better deals and offers at the moment.

As someone else said here, its all business..

Isn't business main aim supposed to be keeping existing customer while trying to gain new customers and increase your customer base and not lose existing customers while trying to gain new ones?

Common sense obviously doesn't prevail on their HQ anyway.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

lolie wrote: »
    ...O2 simplicity looks ok though €20 euro for 100mins + 100txts plus unlim 02 calls & txts. r €30 for same except 150 mins

+ only thing that looks ok. I'm switching to that because most of my calls are to O2 anyway. The upgrades they offer are rubbish so no point hanging for those.

In my house we've all had a bunch of calls from O2 cold calling, hoping to move us to new bill plans. So they are pushing hard for it. Bit pointless if theres nothing worth moving to, other than a 30 day sim. (simplicity)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Make sure you tell them that.. if enough people start telling them their packages are crap. They might listen, I seriously doubt it, but they might..

I had to demand that O2 stop calling me regarding upgrading my plan and in the end I wrote a letter of complaint.. they took me off their list and that was the end of that.. :D

I see that o2 added 5400 customers in qtr3 this year. But i also see vodafone added 31700. Thats a diff of 25k. Since then they have made there cheapest smart plan even more undesirable. Im 6months into my current contract. The plan i am on they cold called me about too. I dont mind the cold calling when its for a good plan like my current one. Also there insurance on the iphone is a joke 12.99 a month. The insurance as far as i know with 3 is 8euro and 9.99 with vodafone.

I think the numbers speak for themselves really.. They may have added 5400 new customers, but how many did they lose in that quarter?

I doubt they will release those figures tbh, but I would be curious.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Come on O2, listen up and fecking restore some competitiveness!

I think you should save your breath and just move networks.. I've been onto O2 for about 12 months now to cop on and see what people are looking for.. lower their tariffs, give better packages and start treating existing customers like they do new customers.. surely loyalty should be rewarded and they have basically ignored me at every turn..

So I waited patiently until my contract had expired on my current plan and made sure the stopped contacting me trying to pressure me into a new one.. now I'm a free agent so to speak and they are ignoring me even more.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

There are no rewards for loyalty. if people keep switching networks there better off. last time I upgraded I was able to stay on my current plan. I have seen on forums that now you will have to change to inferior plans that cost more if I want to upgrade next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

JustinOval wrote: »
    Meteor? Carphonewarehouse have them in some shops.

12 months 200/200/1gb @ €35 pm is the best deal out there I reckon.

Just had a look at this myself with an Nokia E5 free as well. I'm stuck with O2 till January :mad:

What's the Nokia N8 like , available for €39

That looks a good deal. I'm stuck with them till June. I want to go back to iPhone. But I won't be upgrading as there plans are to expensive for what you get. I'll prob move to 3.

The deals really depend how many calls you make and to what network. The vast majority of my txts and calls are same network. So is there something better than O2 simplicity deal for that?

I think its mainly about plans with data we are on about Boston. O2 changed there basic smartplan. It used be 40 a month 150 mins 100 text. Free o2 calls and texts 2gb data. They increased it to 45 euro a month and reduced the data to 500mb of data with it. And now you can't upgrade without changing to the new pricing

Simplicity + data addon? 20+ 9.99 (700MB)?

I didn't realise they changed the price of the addon aswell. Was 7.50 for 1GB.

They must have missed the world recession is on.

BostonB wrote: »
    They must have missed the world recession is on.

Nope they didnt miss it. They are just ignoring it and hoping no one else notices.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That was the o2 Strategy, they apparently have enough customers and so not want more, they just want to look after the existing customers that they have.
    I have this from a former o2 retailer.
    I definately won't be staying with o2 much longer especially if I decide to go to a smartphone.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    ..they apparently have enough customers and so not want more, they just want to look after the existing customers that they have...

You're joking right??? Thats my whole arguement with them, they DONT look after their existing customers, they treat them like sh*te..

Charging an existing customer up to 50% (with an upgrade) to avail of the same deal a new customer gets is hardly what I would call looking after existing customers now is it???

That O2 retailer obviously is talking through his a*se.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Do any networks look after their existing customers?

I was on O2 about 6 years ago and left when they wouldn't give me an upgrade after having spent €50+ per month on my bill for over 12 months. I went to Meteor and have been with them since, changing from PAYG to bill a couple of times. Currently on bill pay lite.

I tried getting a HTC Desire over the summer from a meteor store but they were very difficult to find. I eventually found a Meteor store who told me they had one in stock but they wouldn't sell it to me because I was an existing customer. I ended up getting one in Carphone Warehouse and signed a 12 month contract, got out of the contract about 6 weeks later. I'm considering leaving the network now as their plans don't suit me. I used a loophole to get out of my contract extremely early and am now thinking of leaving the network, I'm showing them about as much loyalty as they'd be prepared to show me.

• Advertisement

there smartphone price plans are not very smart and as for phone insurance on iphone is another joke 12.99 a month

Do any networks look after their existing customers?

I was on O2 about 6 years ago and left when they wouldn't give me an upgrade after having spent €50+ per month on my bill for over 12 months. I went to Meteor and have been with them since, changing from PAYG to bill a couple of times. Currently on bill pay lite.

I tried getting a HTC Desire over the summer from a meteor store but they were very difficult to find. I eventually found a Meteor store who told me they had one in stock but they wouldn't sell it to me because I was an existing customer. I ended up getting one in Carphone Warehouse and signed a 12 month contract, got out of the contract about 6 weeks later. I'm considering leaving the network now as their plans don't suit me. I used a loophole to get out of my contract extremely early and am now thinking of leaving the network, I'm showing them about as much loyalty as they'd be prepared to show me.

My average bill is between €120 - €150 a month and that can go up to €190 or more when I'm abroad.. their response to me asking for a better deal on a upgrade..

"Spend more money and you'll get the same deal as a new customer"

Like wtf is that about???? :rolleyes:

I'm spending double in a year what a new phone sim free costs new.. and the want me to spend more????

I guess theres no reason to have loyalty back. Just swap when you can, and avoid the long term contracts so you can switch faster. For me I really dislike the 18 mth contracts. So the simplicity is at least a 30 day contract, and you can get a data package for it, as its bill pay.

I have to agree there.. there is no way I am signing an 18 month contract with O2 or anyone else for that matter.. I just need to find a new phone I like and when I do that I'll be switching networks..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    That O2 retailer obviously is talking through his a*se.. :rolleyes:
    Notice I said former o2 retailer not current.
    He got pissed off with them and dumped them.
    I can see why now, they are crap compared to 3 and Voda.

I wouldnt be a fan of Vodafone either but they seem to be lesser of 2 evils..

To think, I nearly accepted a job with O2.. lucky escape methinks.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JayMul

I just reluctantly signed up for a new contract with 02 as they seemed to be offering the best value data add on. I was having problems viewing the Meteor site and have since seen a far superior plan with them, I have til tomorrow to opt out of 02 contract.

The only thing holding me back is the coverage Meteor may offer, I live in Arklow Wicklow and I will be using the phone as my home internet. Currently getting a decent speed with 02, 3mbps download, could I expect the same with meteor?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Notice I said former o2 retailer not current.
    He got pissed off with them and dumped them.
    I can see why now, they are crap compared to 3 and Voda.
    I was under the impression it was O2 who dumped lots of independant retailers, in favour of O2 branded stores, and CPW.

I recall my local indy store telling me of it, and IIRC, there was a big lump of money they could pay to keep selling O2, which wasn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

sister switched from 02 prepay to simplicity bout a week ago and woz usin the web on 3g at work few days ago for a few mins. she cheked her account online this eve on laptop this eve and its shows their charged her €1.64 for 2mb data. whats this 99cent for 50mb talk then, f**kin con artists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Is the 99 cent only for prepay customers?

Advertisement