Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time and a quarter

Options
  • 21-10-2010 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Quick question. I just checked my wage-slip and I'm still being paid my first 15 hours a week of overtime at Tx1.25. I thought the new NCHD contract made all overtime Tx1.5?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Hi guys,

Quick question. I just checked my wage-slip and I'm still being paid my first 15 hours a week of overtime at Tx1.25. I thought the new NCHD contract made all overtime Tx1.5?

LOL
    I posted almost the exact same query a few weeks ago.
    Then i was getting first 15 of overtime at t 1/4.
    Curiously my last payslip had all overtime at t 1/2 (after i went into them).
    Still not sure which is correct.
    Also (don't mean to hijack) but if you're paid monthly, does first 15 refer to first 15 out of all total overtime added up for that month or
    first 15 of overtime for every week of that month (which would be less).

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Jane5

To answer your question:

Time and a quarter is no more. All overtime is at time and a half. If you are getting your first fifteen hours at time and a quarter still you need to talk to Payroll asap. They also owe you back pay for the times they underpaid you. You are entitled to ask for a cheque anytime you want it, and they can adjust your next payslip for tax etc.

That first fifteen hours was the first fifteen hours in the week, not month. However, it no longer applies as all your overtime is time and a half, so any overtime you do should be paid at the same rate, except for Sundays/bank holidays, which is double time.

Hope this helps! :)

Jane5 wrote: »
    To answer your question:

Time and a quarter is no more. All overtime is at time and a half. If you are getting your first fifteen hours at time and a quarter still you need to talk to Payroll asap. They also owe you back pay for the times they underpaid you. You are entitled to ask for a cheque anytime you want it, and they can adjust your next payslip for tax etc.

That first fifteen hours was the first fifteen hours in the week, not month. However, it no longer applies as all your overtime is time and a half, so any overtime you do should be paid at the same rate, except for Sundays/bank holidays, which is double time.

Hope this helps! :)

That's incredible.
    All i can say is ****ing bastards. :)
    They refuted this the last time (despite the correction in subsequent payslip) and referred me to the IMO site where it still seems to say first 15 is t1/4 so didn't pursue it.
    I did find a document on issuu.com that says what you're saying- but questioned its reliability.
    Do you have a good source for all t1/2 Jane.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Nchd2010

You don't really need a source, it's in the contract that you signed. Also get on to medical admin and ensure that you get back pay for time until now. They're obliged to keep your records for 3 years at least, and most hospitals keep them longer. In fairness, they may have made a simple mistake and it shouldn't be a problem to fix it.

If it becomes an issue, either contact the IMO or speak to the financial controller of the hospital. I've dealt extensively with these kind of people and they can put up a bit of bluster but really you know the type...loud as a motorbike but wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight. They back down easy enough.

I could give further advice if you pm me.

FWIW, this is what i was shown which i now realise is obsolete from what you say (I didn't pay much attention to the 2009 date at the time).
    It'd be handy if there was something updated on the IMO site all the same to contradict this.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Traumadoc wrote: »

Section 12 (b) all over time in excess of the averaged 39 hours per week shall be paid at time and a half

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I've picked up on this myself. I'm an SHO.
    I noticed the recurring time *1.25 when this has been eradicated since the new contract came into existence in February.
    Some quick sums on one pay cheque revealed a gross shortfall of €850!
    Have many people gotten refunds back? Has there been any excuses, or any trouble with getting refunds.
    I don't really see how salaries have a leg to stand in. Our pay rates are explicitly stated in our contracts.
    Any advice before I go barging in and demanding my money, which I reckon at €850 the past 9 months makes over €7500!
    A sum which would come in EXTREMELY usefully right now.
    Cheers

Rodin wrote: »
    I've picked up on this myself. I'm an SHO.
    I noticed the recurring time *1.25 when this has been eradicated since the new contract came into existence in February.
    Some quick sums on one pay cheque revealed a gross shortfall of €850!
    Have many people gotten refunds back? Has there been any excuses, or any trouble with getting refunds.
    I don't really see how salaries have a leg to stand in. Our pay rates are explicitly stated in our contracts.
    Any advice before I go barging in and demanding my money, which I reckon at €850 the past 9 months makes over €7500!
    A sum which would come in EXTREMELY usefully right now.
    Cheers

Just on this.
    When i queried mine, I discussed the t1/2/t1/4 thing with other doctors who were working there (some for years) and they thought it was still first 15 at t1/4 as well.
    Don't think they pursued it- didn't hear anyone kick up a stink over it anyway.
    I'd say there could be quite a few NCHDs in a similar position.
    Could be a fair amount of money owed out there.
    :D

Rodin, the difference between the two pay rates is about 5 euro and you're owed 850 a month.
    That's in the region of 40 hours non-double time overtime a week isn't it.
    Are you averaging 90 hours a week. :eek: :)

Advertisement