Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mold on ceilings

• 21-10-2010 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

I am getting quiet alot of mold appearing on the ceiling in a no of the rooms in my home does anybody know where I would go to have this acccessed or removed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭handydandy

Step 1: Why is it getting mouldy? damp house, maybe!

You must sort out the reason it is happening, then sort the ceilings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

is there ventilation or do you ever open the windows in these rooms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

In my house the problem is caused by inadequate insulation in the ceiling. I have added insulation and use a dehumidifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

handydandy wrote: »
    Step 1: Why is it getting mouldy? damp house, maybe!

You must sort out the reason it is happening, then sort the ceilings.

I never thought of that????????????? Your a genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

It's most certainly dampness caused by lack of air circulating.

My parents had this problem in their old house down the country. They had old vents in the floor but they weren't sufficient so I had to drill a large hole at the top of the wall (Near the ceiling & in every room) to the outside & put a vent up.

A hole about the size of a small orange or apple would be more than enough in most cases but if you have a very large room I'd go a little bigger. Either way, if you decide to go bigger get a vent that you can regulate in case of windy weather as you'll feel that breeze even with the fire blazing or rads on.

The mold slowly disappears & dries out. Get up with a dry brush & get most of it off. Then give it a good clean with some warm water & vinegar or bleach (only a little), even tea tree oil. This should get rid of the smell & kill the rest of the mold/milldew.

Actually, I used one of those magic eraser/sponge things. They're amazing. You can get them in Heatons & a few other places. I think they're JML products.

Anyway, if the paint is bad in that area you may want to give it a new coat. Use the anti-mould stuff. I think it's the same as the paint used in bathrooms.

Now don't forget to check your insulation in that area above the ceiling. You may have it insulated but it's very common for the insulation not to be pushed fully in to corners.

We actually dry lined all the walls too so if it's something you've not considered & are thinking about now, there's never been a better time! The walls were solid concrete & stone as it was a very old house. If yours are cavity you might want to consider having the insulation injected in to them.

Best investment you'll ever make. Your house will be like a sauna.

Hope this helps ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

barochoc wrote: »
    It's most certainly dampness caused by lack of air circulating.

My parents had this problem in their old house down the country. They had old vents in the floor but they weren't sufficient so I had to drill a large hole at the top of the wall (Near the ceiling & in every room) to the outside & put a vent up.

A hole about the size of a small orange or apple would be more than enough in most cases but if you have a very large room I'd go a little bigger. Either way, if you decide to go bigger get a vent that you can regulate in case of windy weather as you'll feel that breeze even with the fire blazing or rads on.

The mold slowly disappears & dries out. Get up with a dry brush & get most of it off. Then give it a good clean with some warm water & vinegar or bleach (only a little), even tea tree oil. This should get rid of the smell & kill the rest of the mold/milldew.

Actually, I used one of those magic eraser/sponge things. They're amazing. You can get them in Heatons & a few other places. I think they're JML products.

Anyway, if the paint is bad in that area you may want to give it a new coat. Use the anti-mould stuff. I think it's the same as the paint used in bathrooms.

Now don't forget to check your insulation in that area above the ceiling. You may have it insulated but it's very common for the insulation not to be pushed fully in to corners.

We actually dry lined all the walls too so if it's something you've not considered & are thinking about now, there's never been a better time! The walls were solid concrete & stone as it was a very old house. If yours are cavity you might want to consider having the insulation injected in to them.

Best investment you'll ever make. Your house will be like a sauna.

Hope this helps ;)

Thanks mate some good information there thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Thanks mate some good information there thanks

But I wouldn't recommend brushing off the mould, that will stir up mould spores into the air and breathing in spores is generally not a great idea. It's much better and safer to wash them off using a 1:5 bleach solution.

Also regarding pushing insulation into corners, it OK to insulate tight up against gable walls but it's recommended you don't push it up tight into the rafters. You need to leave enough gap (50-100mm) for cross ventilation in the attic or you risk raising the moisture level in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

If the room isn't cold and you just don't like the idea of unsightly and unhealthy mould, you could try painting with a bathroom or kitchen paint.

Bathroom emulsion is quite shiny, like a vinyl silk, but it's designed to repel moisture. I used some in a bathroom that was mouldy as hell and it has proved far far better.

Sure depending on your budget, it might help as a shorter term measure, if you're selling the place!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

wash it off with bleach and water,then give it a couple of coats of zinsser anti mould and mildew.its brilliant stuff.

Advertisement