Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ian Holloway has a little fanny attack

• 21-10-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9116212.stm

Blackpool manager Ian Holloway slowly works himself up into a rage against Fifa, Uefa and the Bosman ruling with its effect on the game including the current Wayne Rooney situation.

Someone should tell him it was the ECJ that made up the Bosman ruling and not anyone else

Love the guy but this rant makes him look like a clown

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Holloway can say what he likes. He's brilliant for the game. I wish there were more like him. Up Blackpool!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It was funny at first but like every fad the novelty wears off after a while.

He's now just a bit of a whinger imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

sure he is no different to any other manager - they all have rants from time to time- ferguson was using an analogy this week in a press conference about cows in a field and sometimes you want the other cow in the other field but your cow is just as good, like wtf- makes this man look sane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

sure he is no different to any other manager - they all have rants from time to time- ferguson was using an analogy this week in a press conference about cows in a field and sometimes you want the other cow in the other field but your cow is just as good, like wtf- makes this man look sane

He robbed that **** off a certain Mr Cantona.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

and ive a sneaking suspicion that he robbed that off..... SpiritoftheSeventies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Its a good rant in fairness. If your going to have one might aswell do it in style!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ian Holloway - slavery advocate.

"They bought him, they work with him, he belongs to them. You buy a house, you own the deeds, it's paid for, if you're lucky enough to do that it's yours."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

He is absolutely right. If you own your house for 24 years and it then gets up and "toddles off" then everyone needs to get involved.....Fifa, Flash Gordon, the mushroom fairies, Superman, the laws of nature.....houses that can walk?We're not in the fookin Shoire anymoooor ore we Eeeeeeeeen? Dead right....beautiful f*cking headcase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It was funny at first but like every fad the novelty wears off after a while.

He's now just a bit of a whinger imo.

+1.

As someone put it rather well last week - the Phil Brown effect.

Paleface wrote: »
    Its a good rant in fairness. If your going to have one might aswell do it in style!!

Damn right. I don't really agree with Holloway on this (i've just seen his interview), but i love his passion for the game.

You see, you have these players who dive and roll about whatever. Ronaldo for example. He's a great player, but he's like a petulant child and i just can't respect that bull****. The cheating that goes on in the game. The cowardice. The two faced nonsense. The lies. We all know the bullsh!t that goes on.

Then you see Holloway. The bloke isn't a genius. He isn't world class. He's just an ordinary bloke who love the game, has the passion for it and he entertains. e's not just a joker, he's also a very good manager with an overall record that i respect.

I understand Xavi's point, but i won't ever get bored of Ian Holloway cos he's the shot of realism in the game you need compared to the superstar crap we have to put up with every day.

Apparently, Holloway's kids are all deaf??? That may sound a bit off topic, but i think it's that kind of grounding that allows him to call shenanigans on the Ok Magazine brigade!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He's like David Brent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

monkey9 wrote: »

Apparently, Holloway's kids are all deaf??? That may sound a bit off topic, but i think it's that kind of grounding that allows him to call shenanigans on the Ok Magazine brigade!!
    Wikipedia
    Holloway, known popularly as "Ollie", met fellow Bristolian Kim when she was aged 14, and after marrying nursed her through lymphatic cancer. The couple have four children: William, twins Eve and Chloe, and Harriet. The twins were born profoundly deaf, as both Ian and Kim had a gene which means that they were more likely to have deaf children. The doctors told them that there was only a remote possibility of any other children being deaf, but Harriet was also born deaf.

He's had it tough.

JPA wrote: »
    He's like David Brent.

Honestly, i thought the exact same when i saw the interview! He really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Is there something I'm missing? Since i disagree with Holloway. You can't compare Rooney with a car. It's an employee's right to move. They bought Rooney after 1995 (introduction of Bosman Ruling) so they knew the rules.

It happens in all careers. I come out of college. Start working as a graduate. Takes about 2 years or more before I can actually contribute towards the company goals after all of the training. Then I decide I want to go to sunny Australia with my newly gained experience. The company hasn't a comeback. Tough sh1t for my employer.

Same medicine for Man Utd. You can try your best to keep your best employees happy but there's never any guarantees.

mars bar wrote: »
    He's had it tough.

That's the thing, he understands the reality of life while (now) being a Premier League manager. I'll always respect what that hero has to say, even if i don't agree with it.

He's like David Brent.

When he talks, I think of the guy from the Hibernian Aviva advert that shouts "Green Army".

mal1 wrote: »
    Is there something I'm missing? Since i disagree with Holloway. You can't compare Rooney with a car. It's an employee's right to move. They bought Rooney after 1995 (introduction of Bosman Ruling) so they knew the rules.

It happens in all careers. I come out of college. Start working as a graduate. Takes about 2 years or more before I can actually contribute towards the company goals after all of the training. Then I decide I want to go to sunny Australia with my newly gained experience. The company hasn't a comeback. Tough sh1t for my employer.

Same medicine for Man Utd. You can try your best to keep your best employees happy but there's never any guarantees.

I concur. You can question Rooney's loyalty all you want, but it's his right right not to sign another contract. In fact, i think he's been up front with Utd. He could have strung them along, but he's told them up front what the situation is. They can let him see out his contract or get a good price for him in January or the summer.

As far as i can see, he's been more upfront with Utd than Michael Owen ever was with Liverpool!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

monkey9 wrote:
    I concur. You can question Rooney's loyalty all you want, but it's his right right not to sign another contract. In fact, i think he's been up front with Utd. He could have strung them along, but he's told them up front what the situation is. They can let him see out his contract or get a good price for him in January or the summer.

As far as i can see, he's been more upfront with Utd than Michael Owen ever was with Liverpool!!

Really, you think he's been up front with the club?:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/6509413/Wayne-Rooney-I-want-to-follow-Ryan-Giggs-example-and-stay-at-Manchester-United.html

Of course every individual has the right to seek a move elsewhere but there is a right way to go about it. To use mal1's analogy, if you were telling your employer you wanted to stay for life, and that you wanted to stay longer than any employee in history, and then less than a year later you decided you wanted to leave, you can't exactly complain about the sh*t storm that will result.

I think this is what Holloway is getting at. The lack of respect from players. Bear in mind too that football is different to a lot of professions. There are a lot of young kids out there who idolise Rooney and look upon him as their favourite player. It's not exactly like an employee saying FU to the employer but in a sense to all those that have backed and supported you. Some players don't care about that aspect of it though, and some fans (opposition ones mostly) will find a way to excuse such behaviour, but it's becoming the trend in football these days rather than the exception and I think it's good that Holloway acknowledges that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

He's like David Brent.

I know its nothing to do with topic so im sorry but.............. so is this guy!

Really, you think he's been up front with the club?:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/6509413/Wayne-Rooney-I-want-to-follow-Ryan-Giggs-example-and-stay-at-Manchester-United.html

Of course every individual has the right to seek a move elsewhere but there is a right way to go about it. To use mal1's analogy, if you were telling your employer you wanted to stay for life, and that you wanted to stay longer than any employee in history, and then less than a year later you decided you wanted to leave, you can't exactly complain about the sh*t storm that will result.

I think this is what Holloway is getting at. The lack of respect from players. Bear in mind too that football is different to a lot of professions. There are a lot of young kids out there who idolise Rooney and look upon him as their favourite player. It's not exactly like an employee saying FU to the employer but in a sense to all those that have backed and supported you. Some players don't care about that aspect of it though, and some fans (opposition ones mostly) will find a way to excuse such behaviour, but it's becoming the trend in football these days rather than the exception and I think it's good that Holloway acknowledges that.

Yep, i see what you're saying here after reading that article (never saw it before). And your right about the kids as well. But lets face it, Rooney isn't exactly your model professional.

Listen, if i'm a Utd fan, i will be raging. When Gerrard handed in the transfer request in 2005, i was going ballistic with him. He stayed, (i genuinely can't see Rooney doing so), but loyalty is a rare thing these days.

In fact, Rooney displayed his 'once a blue, always a blue' t-shirt underneath his Everton jersey before signing for Utd.

There's absolutely no reason why he wouldn't sign for City

Loyalty is now for the fanatics!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Have to commend Holloway for his honesty. He's not a manager who will give a press conference with soundbites and go through the motions. He'll give a frank and honest opinion and a direct answer to a question. How boring would football be if everyone replied the same way to every question like a lot of managers do?

And to be fair, he's achieve something special with Blackpool by bringing a team of players picked up on freebies and a couple of thousand here and there, to the top tier of Premiership football - and playing a style of football that everyone admires.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

When he talks, I think of the guy from the Hibernian Aviva advert that shouts "Green Army".

ha ha ha, I love that bloke :D

OPENROAD wrote: »
    ha ha ha, I love that bloke :D

Well would ya look at that, mention Hibernian Aviva and they have a ****ing ad on the site!

I love when it comes on in the pub coz everyone goes quiet and shouts "Green Army" and then collectively laughs and it still hasn't got old! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

As far as rants go, it's justr a notch behind the rant master Kevin Keegan's rant. That rant will not be budged but that rant Holloway done was the business. I didn't see that one coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Well would ya look at that, mention Hibernian Aviva and they have a ****ing ad on the site!

I love when it comes on in the pub coz everyone goes quiet and shouts "Green Army" and then collectively laughs and it still hasn't got old! :D

We are being watched all the time :p:D

:D I've even started looking out for Plymouths results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

He's just Phil Brown Mk II.

Everyone loves him until December/January or so and then everyone will get bored of him constantly bleating his 'witty' opinions to the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

To be fair, Eric's made a bit more sense.
    "When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Still though, what a legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Didnt know as much about his personal life, it just makes me realise how much of a hero he really is. I love you Ian Holloway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

In fairness he's nothing like Phil Brown, he was always a prick. Holloway is one of the most honest and likeable managers in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

HE'S WRONG!

Advertisement