Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocky tatoo artist

Options
  • 21-10-2010 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey everyone,
    I found a half slieve that i really like and i have been looking fround for someone to customise it,
    I went to tattoo shops in dublin today so the first shop i stop at is a new shop with a very nice setup i was well impressed with first impressions so i get talking to an artist and he starts telling me how my the design is all over the place and will never work and that he will draw out a different one for me i wasn't gonna argue as he was the professional, then he starts criticizing what i want to keep in the tattoo and starts holding it up to his arm asking people to tell him what they see when they look at it as if its junk, in fairness the other arist said theres a lot going on but its nice as was other peoples opinion, so he starts going through the layout and when i disagreed with him about where to place stuff on the tatto he starts shouting over asking the other artist does he want to do the tattoo bearing in mind this is a half sleeve not a small job. what really tipped me over the edge was he pulls out theese tattoo books like the ones easons or somewhere and starts saying why dont i use theese styles im sorry but in my opinion the tattoos in theese books are so in your face and rediculous im not gonna get a tattoo coz sum gimp on tv says this is the best style i will get it because it suits me, but everyone has their own taste what im really trying to say here is people all have different tastes personally i thought his tattos were horrible but i would never criticize them. what gives this guy the right to laugh at my taste in tattoos when all he wants to do is whats in a load of commercial books i feel sorry for anyone duped into changing their original ideas by this place so they can manipulate it into a cheesy looking tat you'd see on la ink or the likes. I know my design wasnt perfect hence why i asked for it to be customised but not to be slagged off for twenty mins

So i strolled across to zulu tattoo and the guy was there was really helpful rather than criticize he just said it needs tidying up and more focus he took a few notes and is re drawing it for me he took all my ideas on board and was intrested in doing it he worked with me rather than trying to make me look like a fool.

I just want to see is this as terrible as he made it sound? honest opinions please?my_tattoo_sleeve_design.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I quite like it, nice flow to it. Wouldn't be sure about the selection of smaller details and how they don't seem as integrated into the design as the larger elements - but overall I do like it a lot and the red splashes are nice.

Most importantly it's your body and your choice. Don't feel pressurised into changing anything if it's not what you want - don't get it.

Would love to see what changes the Zulu artist makes - but just make sure you are happy before you sit in the chair, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Personally I don't like it, but that doesn't matter. You like it and really that is all that matters

Actually to add why I don't like it:
    When I first opened the link my very first thought was that it was very messy and cluttered and am not sure about some of the smaller details.

But as I said if you like it then get it as it is and get an artist that will do it the way you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 andy_irl

I Know what you mean the smaller elements take away from the main features this is what the zulu artist will remedy he wants to focus more on the main elements of the tattoo but the other guy says the whole tattoo is useless and he wanted to change the style completly rather than just help make sense of what was there and stick with the original style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I'm thinking of a particular artist after reading that story. Heard it before a few times. New shop too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

The main issue is that it does seem a bit cluttered,,and perhaps needs to be spread out a bit, or some elements removed. I'd be interested as well to see what the artist comes up with!

First guy sounds like an eejit, fair enough he should offer advice on what works and what doesn't, but not completely slate the tattoo. Constructive criticism is what's needed! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

As an artist (and I'm also new to the tattooing game) I will say that the design seems very cluttered to me and the cohesivness and clarity of the piece as a whole would be something that needs to be worked on.

In saying that, the customer service and tact of the original artist you went to leaves a lot to be desired.

Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of tattoo artists out there these days who seem to think that because they are making a bit of money at the moment and have a few clients lined up for the rest of the week that they can pick and choose what they do and treat customers how they want.

You did the right thing in allowing the artist in Zulu to modify your desgin but you're also right in being annoyed at how you were treated by the first artist.
    People who want tattoos are generally nervous enough going into these shops without some no name tattooist acting like he is the king of the tattoos and stressing the customer out even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Looks cluttered and very busy to me though I can see what you were going for. The 1st artist handled things brutally and you were right not to emply him. An artist should work with you on a tattoo not against you (in the vast majority of situations anyway, though artists disuading customers from getting red-devils, tazmanian devils, fighting irish symbols, tiny roses and dolphin tattoos would be good for the industry IMO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Diceicle wrote: »
    Looks cluttered and very busy to me though I can see what you were going for. The 1st artist handled things brutally and you were right not to emply him. An artist should work with you on a tattoo not against you (in the vast majority of situations anyway, though artists disuading customers from getting red-devils, tazmanian devils, fighting irish symbols, tiny roses and dolphin tattoos would be good for the industry IMO)
    and stars. ****in hell I hate stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PsychoSue

Overall I like it.... but I do agree about the smaller details being lost into the background also some parts of the image may look overlapped when its done if its not spread out more.....

From the dates and various components Im assuming it has sentimental value behind it, Im all for personal tat's and being individual and this makes it more appealing to me.

If your getting a sleeve would you consider having it start on your chest or shoulder blade and then going around and down onto your arm. Alot of work n spondoolies but gives ya more surface area to work with and to incorporate all your individual ideas in a less cluttered way....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,392 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Look very cluttered to me, the datse are a bit haphazard, too many imo, I'm also aware they also prob mean something to you, i'm just giving my opinion that there are too many, and a bit randomly placed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I like it fwiw, think it could be dynamite with a bit of tweaking.

Did you design it yourself or did you find it somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭morcheen k

i like how random it is,not like anything else.unique :D

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭MikeyCdublin

andy_irl wrote: »
    What really tipped me over the edge was he pulls out theese tattoo books like the ones easons or somewhere and starts saying why dont i use theese styles ,

I know exactly who it is ha, He done the exact same with me

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

random is certainly the word...

not a fan personally, well i like the picture, i just need to see what it'd look like on skin i guess!

Advertisement