Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is she worth breeding

Options
  • 21-10-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

i bought greyhound but she got injured after one race after i bought her she had some small wins including a final and i never bothered to change ownership i was thinking of breeding her but dont know anything about it as she was my first greyhound, is she worth breeding i just have her as pet at the moment her litter sister was a really good greyhound my greyhound is called "dare to dance" all advice would be taken on baord thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Hi there,
    This is her breeding
    www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1205141

She is a full sister to a top open bitch distant sparky. Which is good. The climate isnt great for breeding at the minute but. If you could do it yourself or sort something with somebody then it wouldnt be 2 bad an idea.

If you want go to www.greyhoundscene.com for ideas on suitable sires available

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Firstly your bitch was a poor performer on the track,Top savings bitches are not proven to throw pups.The current climate should also deter you as there are thousands of pups available to buy.If you intend to keep and rear all the pups yourself ,why not.Prize money is at pityful low level at present and is going to get much worse. my strong advice is do not even think any further about breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

thanks guys i might see can i find some1 maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Please dont! You're not guaranteed a full litter of winning greyhounds. Theres too many greyhound litters being bred at the moment in Ireland and now the way the economy is going, people are not willing to pay several hundred and buy them. Most people who do buy them and hope for a winning dog dont always get a "winning" dog and then the greyhounds are abandoned. Hundreds upon hundreds are currently homeless in Ireland due to this...we dont need any more!!! Just neuter her and keep her as a pet...please!
    The same is happeneing with pit bulls and staffies and the dog fighting.

If you can sort something out . There is plenty of value in stud dogs around if somebody would do it for a half a litter .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Bubs99 wrote: »
    Please dont! You're not guaranteed a full litter of winning greyhounds. Theres too many greyhound litters being bred at the moment in Ireland and now the way the economy is going, people are not willing to pay several hundred and buy them. Most people who do buy them and hope for a winning dog dont always get a "winning" dog and then the greyhounds are abandoned. Hundreds upon hundreds are currently homeless in Ireland due to this...we dont need any more!!! Just neuter her and keep her as a pet...please!
    The same is happeneing with pit bulls and staffies and the dog fighting.

Please don't attack the OP for asking a simple question and try not drag the thread down the route of 'you must get your dog/bitch neutered', etc. You can make your point without being so emotive.

just to bubs we have big run no pup would be put down i am totally against it sickens me there such a loving breed and should not be hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Thats great brilou23, i didnt mean to offend you in any way if i did. i have no right in telling you what to do with your pet greyhound. But I hope you see my point...just if you dont think you'll get strong racing pups, then dont get her a stud. Simple, but its up to you. I admire you for still having her as a pet and loving her while others give them away etc.
    Good on you.

And i also wasn't demanding that you neuter her, its just if shes not going to be having any more litters, neutering is for the best as it also prevents cancer in bitches.
    Good Luck.

none taken, i agree with you the treatment of alot retired dogs is not good but a lot do have nice retirement and im glad ur passionate about dogs wish there was more like you :D

As for sires there are plenty of options around some not 2 dear also. Its just finding a good cross for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

sting60 wrote: »
    Firstly your bitch was a poor performer on the track,Top savings bitches are not proven to throw pups.The current climate should also deter you as there are thousands of pups available to buy.If you intend to keep and rear all the pups yourself ,why not.Prize money is at pityful low level at present and is going to get much worse. my strong advice is do not even think any further about breeding.

Is prize money really that bad, wheres your home track, Tralee prizes arent too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I wouldn't even go there about breeding from her. O.k her sister was showing some class but looking at the future litters she seems to be a freak with nothing else to go on.

There to mant bad greyhounds in Ireland and if we dont cut the numbers down we are going to end up like england with races only carrying a prize money of about 50 euro because we will be more running bad races for more bad dogs.

we all wish to have a derby winner but you would have a better chance of winning the lotto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Snap2010

If she's wearing a greyhound skirt she might be worth breeding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Thats a very costly way to get into greyhounds with stud fees price of feed and rearing, schooling, vets fees etc ,better to pick a young dog or bitch up at the sales that has qualified to race,it will be much cheaper in the long run than breeding your own,i know as i did it myself many years ago,but i was lucky enough to breed a very good class dog and bitch open race types,from my first attempt at breeding

Advertisement