Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What IS wrong with the HSE?

• 21-10-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

We've all been hearing about the health system in Ireland falling apart and the HSE being at the core of the problems.

The thing is though, is that I've not seen many examples of what they're doing wrong. I've heard general statements like 'bloated bureaucracy' etc, but I've not seen anything specific and credible such as 'there's two executives for every nurse'.

Now I believe the HSE is a problem, there's simply too many people screaming blue murder about them for there not to be a problem with the organization, but does anyone have any proper numbers/facts?

I'm not being smart, or sly, I just haven't seen or heard anything beyond the general yet and I'd like to hear some specifics to see just how bad they are.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Mary Harney.
    Next.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

its because of all the foreigners coming over here and robbing our banks and our government not doing anything about these foreigners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

What's right about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What is the total budget spend on healthcare in this country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

pmcmahon wrote: »
    its because of all the foreigners coming over here and robbing our banks and our government not doing anything about these foreigners

Chinese bank robbers? Did I miss that particular news story? Or are you talking about the American/British/European multinationals?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Chinese bank robbers? Did I miss that particular news story? Or are you talking about the American/British/European multinationals?

its all these bloody foreigners and all,stealing all the taxis and all not letting normal people earn money getting 6 bedroom houses and free cars and all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

whats wrong with the HSE?

where do you start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

The problem with the HSE is that it only exists to absolve our government/department of health of the responsibility of running the health service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

Terry wrote: »
    Mary Harney.
    Next.

That in no way answers the question!
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    What is the total budget spend on healthcare in this country?

If someone could answer this and then give the % of how much pays the HSE salary Vs. the hospitals operating costs (GPs and Nurses salaries) that might shed some light on things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Where's Biggins when you need him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Scráib wrote: »

I'm not being smart, or sly, I just haven't seen or heard anything beyond the general yet and I'd like to hear some specifics to see just how bad they are.

Well, if you're too lazy to read the newspapers or take any real interest in the news or current affairs that relate to the many real fuck-ups of the HSE, then you are hardly going to notice any of the specific details.

Even a quick Google search will give you some answers, but I suspect that it's easier for a lazy person to start a thread on it & get people to do their research for them... with that attitude, it wouldn't surprise me if you actually worked for one the HSE external advisory boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

phasers wrote: »

He's still typing his reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Too many chiefs, not enough front line staff and a minister who does not know the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

He's in bed since the second corrie.
    Keep it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

ok, one example.
    4 people to rubber stamp a 3 month rolling contract for a physiotherapist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

Well, if you're too lazy to read the newspapers or take any real interest in the news or current affairs that relate to the many real fuck-ups of the HSE, then you are hardly going to notice any of the specific details.

Even a quick Google search will give you some answers, but I suspect that it's easier for a lazy person to start a thread on it & get people to do their research for them... with that attitude, it wouldn't surprise me if you actually worked for one the HSE external advisory boards.

When you type in 'HSE Problems' into google you get results about Land Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

too many sick people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Scráib wrote: »
    That in no way answers the question!

If someone could answer this and then give the % of how much pays the HSE salary Vs. the hospitals operating costs (GPs and Nurses salaries) that might shed some light on things.

70% of the budget goes on wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I had a look into this ages ago, here's my post about it from this thread:
    Blowfish wrote: »
    I don't think anybody on this thread would disagree that Crumlin etc. is a worthy cause, however I would agree with Monument that your anger is misplaced. The cycle lane is an efficient use of money which will provide a valuable service. The same cannot be said for a lot of the HSE spending. Some examples:

€51 million in consultancy fees in 4 years. These consultants haven't taken a pay cut, instead they've just had their pay rise reduced.
    €334,000 in security costs...for one person.
    Using 22 of their staff for a day, to take blood from 53 people.
    €6,000 a week to move people around a place needlessly.
    €10,000,000 more to move people around needlessly.
    €25,000 per year increase in wages for hospital doctors, to a reported value of €140 million.
    Spending money on an empty shuttle bus.
    Bloating management.
    €292 million on expenses (excluding bonuses).
    €98 million more than they need to on medicines every year.
    All this, while refusing offers of facilities for Cystic Fibrosis sufferers.

I understand your frustration at them cutting back services, however it was the HSE itself that, rather than cut back the ridiculous inefficiencies and waste, would rather cut back on services that are vital to some. They could easily keep Crumlin open if they really wanted to. It's them that you should be angry with, not the DoT for building a cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

I started a thread here before about the cosy relationship between the HSE, the religious orders and the MCI. It was locked fairly abruptly. If you have the wherewithal to bring Martin Rogan, Br.Gregory McCrory or John Sidebottom out into the open and make them defend themselves or their behaviour, then all I can say is, you're a better man than me.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

My opinion and it is only an opinion is that the HSE is overstaffed with administration and not enough resources put into front line services. Also I believe that the governments argument for centres of excellence is just their fancy name for closing a large number of vital hospitals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Terry wrote: »
    Mary Harney.
    As above and far, far too many chiefs, in replace of not enough Indians.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

You called? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tomfodge

Lots of things wrong with hse but this is them at thier best

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056065634

Advertisement