Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Princess Syndrome

• 21-10-2010 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

Where did it all begin?

I flicking channels the other night & there was a girl talking about how she wanted the dream wedding - "like in a fairytale" & how she expected her fiancee to treat her "like the princess she is".

She was a spotty chav, dressed in a tracksuit, with a muffin top & greasy hair. I've no problem with that - but she is hardly what you'd call a "princess". She looked more like Waynetta Slob than royalty.

And it seems a fairly common phenomenon... no longer confined to the spoiled rich brats of "My Sweet 16". Some females even wear the word "Princess" written across the arse of their tracksuit bottoms.

I don't get it... to me, it simply says "I'm expect everyone to treat me like a princess for no other reason than my say-so".

Is it all Paris Hilton's fault or can it be traced back to Walt Disney? And surely it is doomed to lead to dissapointment as unrealistic expectations are rarely met.

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

don't worry, they grow out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Some don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I blame Fianna Fáil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

That ****er Walt Disney started poisoning their minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Any girl that calls herself a princess generally isn't. They're normally pikeys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Probably some sort of repressed childhood thing. A prince will come and save me from the squalor therefore i must be a princess.

Yes of course you are. That's why you wear pyjamas to the shops and smoke JP Blue while pregnant...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I don't get what the whole princess thing is about anyway. Seems so medieval to yearn to be part of the monarchical family. Especially since the idea of princess life that's in their heads does not and never has existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Anything to do with incest? The royals like to stick together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

What's more worrying is the amount of bitch-whippable gobsh1tes who'll appease these delusions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

You will notice that the more ''knackerish'' , for want of a better term, somebody is, the more they are like this. Just google tacky weddings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Some don't.

they can delude themselves into thinking the world revolves around them, i can delude myself into thinking it's not a permanent problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I blame Prince; they see how incredible he is and want to be the female equivalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's a load of bollocks. My cousin wanted her dream wedding; it ended up being the most boring wedding I've ever been too. The food was an hour late, no free nibbles and piss poor company, stuck at the table with 16 yo cousins. Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Confab wrote: »
    It's a load of bollocks. My cousin wanted her dream wedding; it ended up being the most boring wedding I've ever been too. The food was an hour late, no free nibbles and piss poor company, stuck at the table with 16 yo cousins. Ugh.
    If they arent 1st cousins its fair game :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I don't know where it all began, but I notice these type of people seem to brag about being "princesses", like it's something to be proud of.
    It kinda reminds me of the type who go on like " like omg I'm such a drama queen", or "I'm a high maintenance lady" like it's hilarious, and something to be really really proud of.
    Same with the ones who pretend that they are "like omg, completely anal/ocd" about different things.
    I know a lot of people, including myself might describe themselves as being a bit obsessive/ocd about some things, but there are people who go out of their way to go on, and on, and on about it.
    With all of these things mentioned, I think that they must mistakenly believe that it makes them sound more interesting or something, when in reality it just imo makes them come across as a bit silly/attention seeking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I was actually thinking about this earlier. I have nothing else to add though on the subject.

Oh maybe I do. Perhaps send the people who want to be princesses for a walk on the landmines like Our Fair English Rose. Aspiring to be a princess is fairly unambitious and lazy, smacks of wanting to be spoilt for doing nothing. But then again, what do you expect when you are a 3-10 years old getting hounded by the media and everyone else to be like one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I actually saw a real live princess today!

It was in Ballymun. She had bleached hair and a polyester all pink tracksuit that was a few sizes too small for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Some females even wear the word "Princess" written across the arse of their tracksuit bottoms.
    :confused:

Often the word princess written on the tracksuit bottoms looks strectched due to the colossal strain on the fabric.

• Advertisement

Often the word princess written on the tracksuit bottoms looks strectched due to the colossal strain on the fabric.

Like this...

P R I NC E S S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Spotty chavs think 'fairytales' and gorge on MTV
    and dream about the day their prince will go down on one knee.
    They fancy that the man they catch will be a true Apollo
    The game is up for all of them, unless they like to swallow!

- FoxT

its more of a skanger thing i think.

( PRINCESS )

That degree in graphic design hasn't gone to waste I see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Confab wrote: »
    16 yo cousins

I fail to see the problem here.

That degree in graphic design hasn't gone to waste I see!

Dammit not quick enough on the edit.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i blame the parents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I don't know where it all began, but I notice these type of people seem to brag about being "princesses", like it's something to be proud of.
    It kinda reminds me of the type who go on like " like omg I'm such a drama queen", or "I'm a high maintenance lady" like it's hilarious, and something to be really really proud of.
    Same with the ones who pretend that they are "like omg, completely anal/ocd" about different things.
    I know a lot of people, including myself might describe themselves as being a bit obsessive/ocd about some things, but there are people who go out of their way to go on, and on, and on about it.
    With all of these things mentioned, I think that they must mistakenly believe that it makes them sound more interesting or something, when in reality it just imo makes them come across as a bit silly/attention seeking.

"It's all about MEEEE!"

What never fails to baffle me is there is always some fool of a man pandering to this crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Yeah, there's a family like that that lives on my estate (lotto winners).

I believe that they're originally from a place called the Republic of Skangaragua.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Sardonicat wrote: »
    "It's all about MEEEE!"

What never fails to baffle me is there is always some fool of a man pandering to this crap!

Well, a lot of 'em are mothers by the time they do their Junior Cert anyway.

These types are so stupid that they don't know how thick they are really, so they keep repeating the same mistakes over & over again.

One day, they wake up at the age of around 25 & realise that they're officially part of the '4x4 club'*

4 kids by 4 diffrent dads*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

WindSock wrote: »
    Oh maybe I do. Perhaps send the people who want to be princesses for a walk on the landmines like Our Fair English Rose. Aspiring to be a princess is fairly unambitious and lazy, smacks of wanting to be spoilt for doing nothing. But then again, what do you expect when you are a 3-10 years old getting hounded by the media and everyone else to be like one.

True, it is ridiculous. Society seems more sympathetic and encouraging towards females who don't grow out of this than males who don't grow out of their childhood delusions.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    True, it is ridiculous. Society seems more sympathetic and encouraging towards females who don't grow out of this than males who don't grow out of their childhood delusions.

But who would want to be an astronaut, action hero, super hero, or erm...a builder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Dr. No

It's even worse over here in the UK. Everybody aspiring to be like Katie Price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I actually saw a real live princess today!

It was in Ballymun. She had bleached hair and a polyester all pink tracksuit that was a few sizes too small for her.

Princess.....

Advertisement