Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Confused Over New Console.

• 21-10-2010 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi, I want to trade in my Wii for a new xbox as my last one is broken beyond repair but I was wondering what is the cheapest type of xbox I mean one without a hardrive since I have the one from the last xbox or would it be worth getting a second hand one(warranty,price etc.)?

Also since im trading in a console and buying one together would I get more money off for trading it in like they do when you trade in a game and you are given more money off buying a game instead of taking the cash.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

The new xbox 4gb slim is 209.99 in smyths with fifa 11 and an extra controller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

Lordhogo wrote: »
    Hi, I want to trade in my Wii for a new xbox as my last one is broken beyond repair but I was wondering what is the cheapest type of xbox I mean one without a hardrive since I have the one from the last xbox or would it be worth getting a second hand one(warranty,price etc.)?

Also since im trading in a console and buying one together would I get more money off for trading it in like they do when you trade in a game and you are given more money off buying a game instead of taking the cash.

Thanks for the help.
    fjsanchez wrote: »
    The new xbox 4gb slim is 209.99 in smyths with fifa 11 and an extra controller
    Be warned, if you go for the slim, your hard drive from the old xbox will not work in it. If you want to reuse that, either go second hand, or try to find a shop stocking the original style console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

cython wrote: »
    Be warned, if you go for the slim, your hard drive from the old xbox will not work in it. If you want to reuse that, either go second hand, or try to find a shop stocking the original style console.

Incorrect cython, what I did was bought a 4gb xbox slim and took the hard drive out of the enclosure it used for my original 360. I then placed the drive in the hard drive bay underneath the slim and bingo - a 24gb xbox slim. The slim will take all hard drives from the original 360 and you it doesnt even format them so it keeps all your saves and games.

Heres the video I used, @ 1:06 through the vid he links to another video on how to take the hard drive out of the 360 enclosure. Please dont use a hammer to break it open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Surely if you're spending over €200 on a console it makes sense to spend the extra €50 and get the bigger hard drive without the fuss? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Lordhogo

Chrizfitz wrote: »
    Incorrect cython, what I did was bought a 4gb xbox slim and took the hard drive out of the enclosure it used for my original 360. I then placed the drive in the hard drive bay underneath the slim and bingo - a 24gb xbox slim. The slim will take all hard drives from the original 360 and you it doesnt even format them so it keeps all your saves and games.

Heres the video I used, @ 1:06 through the vid he links to another video on how to take the hard drive out of the 360 enclosure. Please dont use a hammer to break it open.

Right well I am interested in this but just want to make sure that it wont mess up the hardrive or break the new console :eek: so is there much chance of that happening?

@Gizmo: I really dont want all that extra memory as 20GB is working fine for me since I dont download a lot or keep all my old saved games and if what above works I get an extra 4 GB aswell.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Right well I am interested in this but just want to make sure that it wont mess up the hardrive or break the new console :eek: so is there much chance of that happening?

@Gizmo: I really dont want all that extra memory as 20GB is working fine for me since I dont download a lot or keep all my old saved games and if what above works I get an extra 4 GB aswell.

A fair point however do bear in mind an upgrade in the future will cost you a lot more than the €50 it will cost you now. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

It works, the only thing different between the drives is the caddy the hard drive is in. The actual drives are cross-compatible.

So you could use the method above to hook it up.

Or you could wait a little while and hopefully the chinese clones of the enclosure will appear for $10 - buy one, install hard drive, stick in slim and you're laughing

Or you could pop your 20GB into a standard external hard drive enclosure with a USB connection and use 16GB of that drive by plugging it into the USB slot - be warned that this may require formatting the drive and losing the data if you didn't back it up

You could do the above but with a regular hard drive and not an xbox one

You could shell out the extra money for the 250GB drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

Chrizfitz wrote: »

Ok, fair enough, I realised when I made that comment that there would be compatibility on some level, seeing as they all just use 2.5" SATA discs, but in different ways. However, leaving a drive secured by the connection pins like that doesn't seem like the wisest idea either, and they are most certainly not designed to be mounted in this fashion. Anyway, It's still true to say they won't work together out of the box, so to speak, so I'll stick with that phrasing.

I'd be inclined to agree with gizmo and TouchingVirus on this still.

cython wrote: »
    However, leaving a drive secured by the connection pins like that doesn't seem like the wisest idea either, and they are most certainly not designed to be mounted in this fashion..

As you can see in the vid the hard drive is lodged in there so hard you need a lot of force to get it back out. Trust me the hd is fine in there.

I agree 24gb is enought for what I want, game saves and maps. My net is fast enough to delete anything Im not using and redownload. If you follow both videos you will see how easy it is. You will void the warranty on your original 360 enclosure but not on your slim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Lordhogo

Right well I think im gonna go for the slim unless I can get a good offer on a second hand xbox. Ill report back with how it goes.

Advertisement