Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Locks

• 21-10-2010 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to get a lock for my bike but have no idea what to get.

I know that

1. should be a u lock
    2. kryptonite one of the better brands.

hopefully looking to have the bike locked in an underground car park.

was looking at this lock http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Kryptonite_Evolution_Mini_14cm_Bike_D_Lock/5360021015/

anyone any opinions?

the bike is a planet x with two quick release wheels, silly question but how do i lock it? undo the front wheel and lock it to the back wheel making sure to lock it around the chain stay?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

According to Cycling Plus October issue the Abus Granit X-Plus 54 300 is the best. They test several locks in two different ways. Fist 5 minutes with a "breaking kit" - hammer, pliers, mole grips, wire cutters, chisel, an axe and a extending bar for leverage to twist the shackle. Second test and again 5 minutes with a "high power output portable angle grinder(...) The lock broke after 4mn 43sec. The Kryptonite New York MC broke in 4mn with the second test.
    (they both passed the fist test with the breaking kit)

If I was going to lock my planet X anywhere I'd probably use 3 or 4 different locks on it! Have it locked in the shed at the moment come to think of it. Because they're expensive it'd be a keen target for any thief I'd imagine.

I regularly just use my Kryptonite NY 3000 lock by itself when locking my Giant FCR, by taking the front wheel off and locking it to the back wheel + rear triangle. But yeah, for something more expensive I'd consider going for a better lock than the Kryptonite Evolution. The think about the mini kryptonite is that you probably won't be able to attach the lock to anything, just a wheel to the frame.

Have a look on eBay / Amazon and a few other site too for locks, I got two NY 3000 locks for just over €110 at one point from eBay I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's nothing specifically wrong with chain locks, except that the best ones are heavy and like U-locks they're vulnerable if not used correctly.

For locking it up in public, you don't actually have to loop the lock around the frame and the back wheel. If you loop the lock around the rim of the wheel, within the rear triangle of the frame, it's a physical impossibility to remove the wheel from the bike without sawing through the rim and the tyre. Which is actually insanely difficult.
    bikelock1.jpg

Though IMO, if the lock is long enough to do this, then it's probably long enough to go around the chainstays and through the wheel. Someone pulling and hauling on your bike for the craic could do a lot of damage in this case.

I use an Evo mini to lock my bike to the rack and a kryptonite flex lock to lock the wheels. But only for parking it in a secure underground car park. At home I have it chained outside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Make sure the back U lock goes through both the wheel and the frame, do not underestimate how far a scumbag will go as I have found out the hard way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think they put their thumb on the scale a bit in that clip. They used a very thin lock (not sure it's even a lock) and a bike with huge clearance between the rear wheel and the seat tube. And the bike isn't lying close to the object it's locked to.

You couldn't use a saw like that on my bike when it's locked the Sheldon way. Between the mudguard, Fahgettaboudit and the Sheffield stand itself, there's very little room.

I've been using the Sheldon method for years, never had anyone attempt theft. There's always a first time, I suppose. I do augment it a little by running a Krytoflex back from the lock on the front wheel to the rear wheel and the Sheffield stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

hi guys.

thanks for the input, found a pretty reputable seller on ebay that has NY3000's for $67 so at that price i bought two :).

the bike will be locked in a pretty quiet, secured underground carpark in city centre.

going to attempt cycling into work one day and see how i get on. need to get lights now though.

Advertisement