Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you drink crap or quality beer?

• 21-10-2010 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Well? Do you? I used to drink piss. Bud, Carlsberg, Heinken, Miller, I used to drink them all. But I've had an epiphany.

Most beers aimed at the Irish market are piss.

So I decided to start drinking the good stuff. Gulden Draak and Delirium Tremens/Nocturnum, Chimay Red/Blue, champange... it just makes drinking more pleasant. Gone are the days when I'd try to swallow the dregs of a warm Pisswater and gag violently, thinking someone had violated my pint with their urine. Now beer actually tastes nice.

Who's with me? We're supposed to be one of the biggest drinking countries in Europe and we have the taste in alcohol of a sixteen year old French teen drinking Corona near a puddle. Without the lime.

Edit: Am imbibing Gulden Draak at the moment. Oh dear god is it good.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Bottled - never tap. The best also if in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Whatever I can lay my hands on. Being in Berlin it's eitehr Sternberg or Pilsator at 42c a bottle. Unless I'm in Belgium, in which case I generally work my way throug the drinks list methodically.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

I like world beers...Peroni and the like. Cant stand beer in cans...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭weiland79

Be careful the sh!t beer drinking nazis dont like the good beer drinking nazis to talk about their superior beer around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Pints of Heino. Cans of Heino at home, the bottles of Heino are stinking, smells like someone farted in the bottle before the cap was put on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Depends where I am. I will generally get Guinness in a regular bar, Schneider Weisse Kristal in Franciscan and if I am drinking at a house, I'll get carlsberg or tuborg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

MJ23 wrote: »
    the bottles of Heino are stinking, smells like someone farted in the bottle before the cap was put on.

At least that would give it a bit of flavour!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

Erdinger and Paulaner are good beers. I dont know how anyone can subject their guts to the aul "Dutch Mold" !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I'm drinking a bottle of Erdinger at the minute, but when i'm out i usually drink Heineken..which is a step up from Bud, which i used to drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

MJ23 wrote: »
    Pints of Heino. Cans of Heino at home, the bottles of Heino are stinking, smells like someone farted in the bottle before the cap was put on.

It's called 'Ken, k?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

All beer, with the exception of German wheat beer, tastes crap tbh.

• Both. Prefer the likes of Duvel, Chimay, Leffe, Erdinger but can enjoy a pint of Heineken sometimes.

Depends where I am. I will generally get Guinness in a regular bar, Schneider Weisse Kristal in Franciscan and if I am drinking at a house, I'll get carlsberg or tuborg.

A man after my own heart, although i prefer the regular Schneider Weisse bier to the Kristal, Fransiskaner is pretty good too and if you ever come across Augustiner Helles, it's a fantastic lager also from Munich.
    Guinness when I'm in the Pub with a neat Jameson to taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

bottles of peroni, tiger, and kronenberg 1664 from the offie, shame not to many of the pubs round here serve them on tap.

heineken or guinness in the pub.

really want to go to belguim after drinking some 8% stuff brewed by trappest monks a mate brought back from there (thats the beer, not the monks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Erdinger drinking here now. The German beers are seriously higher in the quality stakes from your Heino, Bud, Miller, Carlsberg. Try alternating between the two and then you appreciate the crap(Heino, Bud etc) that the Irish mass market has been fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

There are plenty of Irish beers that are well up there with the best in the world. Dungarvan Helvick Gold, Galway Hooker, O'Hara's Leann Follain, O'Hara's Stout, O'Hara's IPA, Porterhouse Celebration stout, I could go on. There are some great world beers but I like to keep it local when the quality is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Fosters. Everyone says its crap but i like it, and for the price its a win win situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

weiland79 wrote: »
    A man after my own heart, although i prefer the regular Schneider Weisse bier to the Kristal, Fransiskaner is pretty good too and if you ever come across Augustiner Helles, it's a fantastic lager also from Munich.
    Guinness when I'm in the Pub with a neat Jameson to taste.

Gonna have to check out some of those then, I don't think I ever had the heffe Scheider Weisse, so will try that next week I think! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I don't really drink much, but when I do I would prefer something like Paulaner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There are plenty of Irish beers that are well up there with the best in the world. Dungarvan Helvick Gold, Galway Hooker, O'Hara's Leann Follain, O'Hara's Stout, O'Hara's IPA, Porterhouse Celebration stout, I could go on. There are some great world beers but I like to keep it local when the quality is there.

True, they are quality. Its the mass produced bland crap on draught that are in most Irish pubs that we object to!

Blame the Diageo and Heineken breweries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If I'm staying in and drinking, I go for the euro cans in O'Brien's, Tuborg and Amstel have been the ones there lately. They're good enough.

If it was readily available, I'd go for Castlemaine. Used to be able to get it in O'Brien's but haven't seen it in years.

I like Mahou Classic too but haven't ever seen that here.

I don't like Heineken or Carlsberg. I don't get the big appeal with them.

Normally in a pub, I'd go for pints of Fosters, then Bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I admit to not trying any Irish beers lately. A trip to the Porterhouse is in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

oh and hobgoblin!

Gonna have to check out some of those then, I don't think I ever had the heffe Scheider Weisse, so will try that next week I think! :)

Do you put the slice of lemon in the Kristal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I find that the selection in a small number of city centre pubs is good - I can generally find a quality beer there.

Off licences are good too. Supermarkets not bad.

However the majority of pubs (rural and urban) have a sh*te selection. That's the annoying thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Confab wrote: »
    Well? Do you? I used to drink piss.

That is all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

OPENROAD wrote: »

Love it!!! Kudos to english ales, proper ones mind, not ure newcastle brown shee-ite. But I do like budget beers more as I cant justify the prices of some of the better beers. When they're on offer I like Cobra, Tiger and Brahma. Otherwise it's miller for me for budgetry reasons only.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

However the majority of pubs (rural and urban) have a sh*te selection. That's the annoying thing.

Is there a reason for this? We always hear the hype about the "Irish pub" being the best in the world :confused:

The selection of beers on tap is awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Nothing better than a can of dutch with the brekkie.

Advertisement