Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you drink crap or quality beer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

up to a few weeks ago i would have said all beers taste pretty much the same but on a recent trip to bavaria i sampled a little hefeweissbier (wheat beer) and a little more and more :p its so far ahead in terms of quality than stuff like heineken, carlsberg etc its laughable and €2.90 a pint almost everywhere from munich to fussen it shows we are getting robbed blind in this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I only drink vodka... oh and wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Kilkenny Irish Ale

Samuel Adams (not bad for a yank)

if in the cheapo mood - Stella (i think its actually fairly nice).

Worst beer I've ever tasted was Coors Light and Steinhauser.

Steinhauser was a beer I found in Aldi and got curious of. It was like drinking death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

dutch gold for life!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭gabria

OK its grand getting hammered and all but tastes important too. The taste of your first beer or two is the perfect kickstart for your long night ahead. Then when you lose your tastebuds after beer three its time to start mixing.
    I like Erdinger, Budvar, Leffe, Hoegarden, or most of the English ales (they're dirt cheap over here especially in the Wetherspoons pubs)....then its goodnight tastebuds hello whiskey in the jar y'hoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rhythm90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEfL11huQxY

GO TO 2:00 AND WATCH FROM THERE. FIRST BIT IS ABOUT RELIGION AND IS FUNNY TOO.

2:55 is what this thread reminded me of. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Confab wrote: »
    Gulden Draak

Sounds like what is the result of drinking a lot of beer.

But I will always go for a quality beer if it's a relaxing, couple of beers and a vid night. If it's a party or barbeque or whatever, I'll go for something more generic like Heineken. Stay the hell away from pish like Dutch Gold and the likes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Erdinger
    schofferhoffer (i think its that or schoffenhoffen?) is nicer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Duvel, Leffe Blonde, erdinger, paulaner, any german or belgium beer but i do have a preference to the belgium beers
    if theres good ales in stock I'd drink those too london pride, Speckled hen, Fullers ESB, would be my choices but i would drink whatevers going usually as I tend to go onto the whiskeys fairly soon uf theres only the usual crap beers in the bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭gabria

Aw jees I feel like Im speaking for a small minority. I do drink but I like the taste whats the big deal?

Typical aussie humour. Not bad beers down there either my favourite Oz beer is Coopers green

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Given my financial state, it's quantity over quality every time. Usually Karpackie or Tuborg, or Excelsior or Galahad if I'm really stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I find most polish beers very good quality. Tyskie & Zywiec are both great beers. Lech is my favourite at the moment. Has a really flavoursome taste, smooth & no hangover.

Used to drink budweiser till i realised it was tasteless dishwater with very little alcohol in it. Its like drinking fizzy water really. Drink pints of heineken in pub but honestly i prefer a nice bottle of cold lech.

Yip its the polish beers for me.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

piss/ cheap beer, after the first one or two i cant taste a thing no matter what i drink, so i might as well save abit.

in a pub, heinkein, outside a pub, god only knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,873 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

karlog wrote: »
    Fosters. Everyone says its crap but i like it, and for the price its a win win situation.

'Australian for piss'. So poor they don't sell it over here (though I also loved it back in the day as a student :o)
    Kilkenny Irish Ale

Massively popular with the Brits for some reason. For me it's basically a girly version of Guinness.

I'm partial to a proper Carlsberg. Went to the brewery in Copenhagen last year and the pints were flawless. Other than that, I hate American beer for the most part and like anything wheat. Blondes are very good too as I like the after taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Xavi6 wrote: »
    'Australian for piss'. So poor they don't sell it over here (though I also loved it back in the day as a student :o)

Massively popular with the Brits for some reason. For me it's basically a girly version of Guinness.

I'm partial to a proper Carlsberg. Went to the brewery in Copenhagen last year and the pints were flawless. Other than that, I hate American beer for the most part and like anything wheat. Blondes are very good too as I like the after taste.

Xavi, do they have any bitter/real ale over in Australia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Funny I've always found the German beers to be nice, if not a little bland. Except for some notable exceptions like Aecht smoked beer they all seem to me like a nice but simple pilsner. I like a bit of variety so in my opinion the two best brewing nations have to be America and Britain. Americans have attempted pretty much every style of beer known to man, and through shear volume of attempts has ended up pulling off some very tasty beer. And I've only scratched the surface with what American beers are available over here, I salivate at the thought of attending the Great American Beer festival. The British on the other hand, a beef and ale pie with a pint of cask bitter is my idea of heaven.

But as I said already in Ireland we have some beers up there with best of them, if more of us supported our own and got them accepted into the mainstream we throughly could become a great beer nation. We already have good pubs, all we need is something good to drink on tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Carlsberg special FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

If you aren't drinking Dutch, you're paying too much. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

At home - London pride, Spitfire, Black sheep, Bishops finger ( best name ever:D) etc.

Going out - Murphys if available, otherwise guinness. The can widget thing never worked right.

If I am desperate - Carlsberg. But I do try at all costs to avoid drinking anything yellow.

- FoxT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Never tasted an ale. Its not fizzy yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,873 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Xavi, do they have any bitter/real ale over in Australia?

Yeah there's quite a fair bit of pale ale. Here in Perth there's a brewery called Little Creatures that does a super pale ale.

For standard ale, James Squire is hugely popular, though it's more of a yuppie pint. Coopers do ale as well.

Bitter wise, the standard is Victorian Bitter, more commonly known as VB. As much as I hate to stereotype, it's the Aussie knacker drink and tastes like piss IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

bavaria at home, always carlsberg on a night out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i love macardles and smithwicks but im going through a guinness phase at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

I've drank my fair share of ****e beer over the years, each one with gusto.

I've had somewhat of an epiphany though, and now I try to begin a session of ****e beers with at least one quality beer.

Fuller's Honeydew: Possibly the nicest beer ever
    Discovery is also nice, as is most of the Fuller range, depending on the drinker. London Porter I enjoyed when I found myself in a stout mood.

Chimay/Maredsous: Georgeous beers. I'd much prefer the stronger varieties of either to Duvel, which I find as harsh tasting as its percentage would indicate.

King Goblin: 6.6%. Tasty as fcuk. Hobgoblin +10

Leffe: Blonde or brown, both are tasty.

Broughtons have a great range, Oatmeal Stout and Black Douglas would be my favourites. Again, it depends on the drinker.

Weissbiers: You have your Erdinger and Paulaner etc. Franciskaner is beautiful as well but I find it too sweet sometimes. Weinstephaner have a great range, but the original hefe is a good place to start.

Blue Moon is a good addition to to the wheat beer variety (even though it's brewed by Coor's), as is Grolsch's effort.

Brooklyn Beer Chocolate Stout (10%) is amazing. Like a Bornville, an espresso and two bottles of Guinness Stout compressed into 500ml.

Bavaria 8 for €8.49 FTW

I forgot to mention Harviestoun Old Engine Oil, in that rant. I should have. And now I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

I hate this new wave of beer snobbery that's sweeping Ireland.
    Have you ever wondered why the supposedly "piss" brands came to prominence?
    It's not because they have a unique, full flavor (obviously), but neither is it some sort of corporate conspiracy.

The big brands got so big because THEY TASTE THE LEAST LIKE BEER!!!

And why you ask?
    Because BEER DOESN'T TASTE NICE!!!!
    Historically people didn't have much choice, and nowadays a lot of guys feel pressure to drink beer to fit in. Pathetic? yes, kinda. But you're only making things worse by adding extra pressure to not only drink beer but to drink even more disgusting/unpleasant beer than they used to drink.....

Personally, I'd much rather down some vodka with lucozade sport and get it over with than pretend i'm sophisticated because i treat alcohol as more than just a drug :rolleyes:. That said I do drink beer a lot (as it's cheaper in pubs) and i get whatever goes down easy and is cheap. And when people offer me beer at parties i'm fucking glad it's "piss" and not your fancy-pants bile.

If you enjoy a more expensive/less-mainsteam/stronger tasting beer then good for you. Enjoy it!

But don't fool yourself into thinking it makes you in any way better/more manly/more mature than anybody else.
    Says a lot about society that many people feel pressured into training themselves to enjoy something they naturally find unpleasant, and that those who don't are often looked down upon.

/rant.

In fairness, you're very welcome to drink piss if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's all piss.

• Advertisement

Beer?

Advertisement