Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you drink crap or quality beer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

The-Rigger wrote: »
    It's all piss.
    BEER?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

If you find every beer in the world abrasive to your delicate palate you should probably just stick to the lollipops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I do, and sugar water.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hang on, people actually pay over the odds for French and Italian beer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

BEER DOESN'T TASTE NICE!!!!

Why do you even bother to reply to this thread when you don't know WTF you're talking about? :confused:

Maybe your underdeveloped palette can't appreciate the flavour of a good beer, but for the rest of us, the enjoyment is more in the taste than in the alcoholic properties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Duff! :D

Seriously though, Tiger if I can get it. Otherwise its Heiniken or Miller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lets be fair, the experience and the surroundings have a knock on effect to making one think the beer is better worse than another.

granted all beers have different flavours. some far tastier than others. But its the alcohol the end product that gifts you the reason to go back. The taste is merely the journey. Some will be handsomely for the journey but others will not.

9 times out of 10 someone who is sitting in germany / belguim wherever and drinking some strange beer with a mate will say YES this is wayyy better than that ****e at home. Why? new surroundings, different taste, holdiay vibe.. etc...

BTW i drink anything... i do like rice beers thought for their milder taste and lack of hangover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

mmm beer. All beer is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Duff! :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duff_Beer#Real_Duff_beers

I couldn't believe it when I saw a place selling Duff beer in Spain before. If it'd been before 10, I would've bought some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭moonage

FruitLover wrote: »
    Maybe your underdeveloped palette can't appreciate the flavour of a good beer, but for the rest of us, the enjoyment is more in the taste than in the alcoholic properties.

Oh dear! Here we go!

The bullsh1t is really starting to kick in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

if its not above 5%

then beer = piss

really like the Polish beers at present, oh cant wait for a nice cold bottle of Lech tonight :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

top choices for me are Fullers Honeydew and Whitstable Bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

I would drink pretty much whatever is on offer but if I'm buy it I'd buy,

For at home:
    Stella - Lovely stuff when cold and very cheap!
    Svyturys Ekstra Beer - savage stuff
    Desperados
    Tyskie
    the odd time Ill buy carlsberg or heineken

For in the pub:
    pints:
    if its a really good pint,
    heineken,
    otherwise
    carlsberg,

have recently become very fond of smithwicks with guiness head!
    must give paulaner a go at the weekend actually.

american beers are piss water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

I don't get all this anti-beer nonsense.

I love beer. I think all beer tastes different. At the start of the night i'd usually buy four or so bottles of my preferred beer (Weihstephaner hw or Sierra nevada Kellerweiss) and by the time i finish that i'll usually move onto cheaper stuff when my tasting ability goes down.

For some reason its much more acceptable to be a wine expert. You'd never hear someone say that 'all wine tastes the same'. Well i hate wine, can't drink it, but i can still accept it and have no problem with those who drink it or take interest in it.

Just like i don't care if you think that all beer is ****e and tastes, just accept that some people think and taste different and we're not all snobs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I don't mind beer, but I generally prefer spirits anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Paulaner Weiss beer is lovely! So is tyskie and erdinger!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Weissbier is rotten. Beer shouldn't be cloudy.

I like a nice, crisp pilsner - german micro-brews are the preferred choice. After that, a nice ale - but cold. None of your room-temperature english tripe.

The Becks Vier in pubs is quite good.

I drink Smithwicks or an odd time Guinness.

If I cant get Smithwicks next choice would be Corona or Sol.

At home could be anything but usually corona, sol, fosters, tennants, harp etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Bar your joe average beers mentioned, there's some nice suggestions in here i'm yet to try.

Some of my personal favs are:

Quilmes:
    quilmes.jpg

Lowenbrau:
    lowenbrau.jpg

Spaten:
    spaten__89384.png

Paulaner:
    paulaner-weissbier.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Bitter wise, the standard is Victorian Bitter, more commonly known as VB. As much as I hate to stereotype, it's the Aussie knacker drink and tastes like piss IMO.

It is, in fact, a lager, not an ale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I hate this new wave of beer snobbery that's sweeping Ireland.
    Have you ever wondered why the supposedly "piss" brands came to prominence?
    It's not because they have a unique, full flavor (obviously), but neither is it some sort of corporate conspiracy.

The big brands got so big because THEY TASTE THE LEAST LIKE BEER!!!

And why you ask?
    Because BEER DOESN'T TASTE NICE!!!!
    Historically people didn't have much choice, and nowadays a lot of guys feel pressure to drink beer to fit in. Pathetic? yes, kinda. But you're only making things worse by adding extra pressure to not only drink beer but to drink even more disgusting/unpleasant beer than they used to drink.....

Personally, I'd much rather down some vodka with lucozade sport and get it over with than pretend i'm sophisticated because i treat alcohol as more than just a drug :rolleyes:. That said I do drink beer a lot (as it's cheaper in pubs) and i get whatever goes down easy and is cheap. And when people offer me beer at parties i'm fucking glad it's "piss" and not your fancy-pants bile.

If you enjoy a more expensive/less-mainsteam/stronger tasting beer then good for you. Enjoy it!

But don't fool yourself into thinking it makes you in any way better/more manly/more mature than anybody else.
    Says a lot about society that many people feel pressured into training themselves to enjoy something they naturally find unpleasant, and that those who don't are often looked down upon.

/rant.

I like the taste of a decent chilled beer & its nothing to do with anything you've said here^. I think you have a few hang ups about not being able to drink beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I drink quality beer. I would dislike drinking crap, it would give you rancid breathe:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Exactly,

To me, It's like tasting / sampling different foods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I drink crap then.

I drink crap then.

You don't have to drink crap. There are some decent beers to be had for cheap. Or get 5/6 cans/bottles of crap & 2 cans/bottles of decent stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Promac wrote: »
    Weissbier is rotten. Beer shouldn't be cloudy.
    böllöx
    beer IS naturally cloudy.
    Its only clear when you filter out all the particles out of it.

And there is filter-ified weissbier available: Erdinger Kristal and its ilk are uncloudy weissbiers.

Anyhow.
    Like the OP, I cant touch Irish lagers like Budweiser, Carlsberg or Heineken.
    Ironic that irish dont like carbonated mineral water, but there's more bloody fizz in an irish pint than even the most explosive of bottles of ballygowan!

Nowadays theres plenty of deals on half drinkable imported stuff like becks in the supermarkets that you can get a clatter of reasonable tipple without breaking the bank.

I actually thoroughly enjoy heading into the local off-licence/tescos to potentially find the greatest beer ive ever tasted.:D

I get my usual stash ie, becks/Lech/Tyskie & then look for something unusual or something thats been highly recommended. I enjoy buying my beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

For those who like good beer and are floating around Cork this weekend, the Franciscan Well are having their beerfest.

http://www.franciscanwellbrewery.com/

Always good for a laugh and great beer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I drink Heineken, it does the job, not bothered if ye look down your nose at me for it to be honest :p

Advertisement