Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you drink crap or quality beer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I drink Bud because I like it.
    I'm sorry if my taste buds offend others.

Actually, I'm not sorry. If my taste in beer offends you, then you should probably take up a hobby, because worrying about what other people drink is really sad. Really really sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Cider and JD FTW.. I don't drink beer because it all tastes like piss. Though I may try one you've recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

I've drunk 'em all. I've drunk the worst of the worst which are of course American beers. Bud, Coors and Michelob are bad but I've gone to the real sh!t of beer and tried Rheingold, Schlitz and Meister Brau. These beer are absolute crap and Nascar-watching slobs think they're being uber-exotic by quaffing cans of this muck.

But I love my good beers. Am currently in Germany and am like the proverbial kid in a candy store. Large breasted women in peasant-girl blouses serving tankards of pils is my idea of heaven.

Also love:

Spaten
    Paulaner
    Krombacher
    Staroprammen

laga, laga, laga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I'm on the Zyweic and Tyskie at the minute and it is so much nicer than any of the piss you get in a pub anywhere in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I wouldnt really look down at anyone drinking IRISH Heineken or IRISH Carlsberg.
    (they're different super fizzy beasties than the original homegrown stuff in the bottle)
    If anything I have mighty admiration that anyone can drink it at all off draught.
    And I used to myself. But never really enjoyed it.
    Now can only drink guinness in a normal pub in Ireland and if I want something fizzy i'll go straight for mineral water. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    I'm on the Zyweic and Tyskie at the minute and it is so much nicer than any of the piss you get in a pub anywhere in Ireland

Nice isn't it?:D Lech is also a lovely beer. I recommend it. I used to drink bud & heineken as my standard weekend booze. Switched over to the Polish beers a year ago. No looking back, its in a completely different league. Its not for some wimps people though as it has a substantially higher alcohol content than standard irish beers & catches out light weight drinkers.

I used to think a pint you get in a pub is as good as beer can get. Very wrong. Gimme a cold bottle of polish/german beer anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I don't really like to get drunk that much, so if I'm drinking I prefer to have something I like the taste of :)

Confab wrote: »
    My local is kind enough to keep a supply of Erdinger and Paulaner on tap. It's the only good beer in the place. Admittedly, my usual was always Beck's before I saw the light.

Paulaner ON TAP...in an Irish Pub??

What place is this my friend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Pub:

GUINNESS

Home: (In order of preference)
    Westmalle Triple
    Rochefort 8
    Staroprammen
    Chimay Rouge
    Chimay Bleu
    Duvel
    Budvar
    Leffe
    Hoegarden
    Paulaner
    Erdinger

If I go in to an off licence and they don't have any of these I will travel until I find them!

Cans = Never!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I've drunk 'em all. I've drunk the worst of the worst which are of course American beers. Bud, Coors and Michelob are bad but I've gone to the real sh!t of beer and tried Rheingold, Schlitz and Meister Brau. These beer are absolute crap and Nascar-watching slobs think they're being uber-exotic by quaffing cans of this muck.

But I love my good beers. Am currently in Germany and am like the proverbial kid in a candy store. Large breasted women in peasant-girl blouses serving tankards of pils is my idea of heaven.

Also love:

Spaten
    Paulaner
    Krombacher
    Staroprammen

laga, laga, laga
    Are you not poor enough to enjoy NASCAR?

• Advertisement

Auvers wrote: »
    if its not above 5%

then beer = piss

really like the Polish beers at present, oh cant wait for a nice cold bottle of Lech tonight :cool:

Which is better? A cold Polish beer and a warm Polish woman or a warm Irish beer and a cold Irish woman? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Which is better? A cold Polish beer and a warm Polish woman or a warm Irish beer and a cold Irish woman? :pac:

Cold polish beer and warm Polish woman with a toasted swan n' cheese sambo!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Turnstyle

at home: Spaten, Krombacher, Tyskie, Lech, Bitburger the odd time

out: for a handy few in a reliable pub its Guinness, on a session its Carlsberg as I find I normally get a consitent pint

house party: anything thats going

poor quality beer gives me raging heartburn, i was buying the specials in Tesco the odd time (stella/becks) and found it was giving me the heartburn badly. I have often drank tesco/becks from a regular off license or in a bar and never had a problem...

Auvers wrote: »

really like the Polish beers at present, oh cant wait for a nice cold bottle of Lech tonight :cool:

Hell yes.

4 Lech & a few Tyskie for me tonight.

Terry wrote: »
    Are you not poor enough to enjoy NASCAR?

If I was in debt to a churchmouse I still wouldn't watch Nascar. I sneer at it because it's crap and the people who watch it are rednecks. The financial disposition of anybody is of no concern to me or do you have some other issues? Are you insinuating that I am some kind of snooty wealthy person who looks down on those less well-off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Also love:

Spaten
    Paulaner
    Krombacher
    Staroprammen

laga, laga, laga

Solid taste :)

Never tried Staroprammen, but I will do this weekend,
    Drinkstore.ie is a quality place to pick up hard to find beers

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Turnstyle

If I was in debt to a churchmouse I still wouldn't watch Nascar. I sneer at it because it's crap and the people who watch it are rednecks. The financial disposition of anybody is of no concern to me or do you have some other issues? Are you insinuating that I am some kind of snooty wealthy person who looks down on those less well-off?

southpark..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

böllöx
    beer IS naturally cloudy.
    Its only clear when you filter out all the particles out of it.

And there is filter-ified weissbier available: Erdinger Kristal and its ilk are uncloudy weissbiers.

Bollox right back at you. It's like saying tea should be black cause it doesn't naturally have milk in it.

Besides, it's more the taste of weissbier than the appearance.

And there's a feckin load of beer snobbery in here - nothing wrong with heineken. It's a quality beer. People just think that whatever is popular is piss and that they look a lot cooler drinking obscure czech beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DaDartle

I drink different beers for different occasions. Different beers at home, different beers in the pub, etc.

But lads, Americans make the BEST beer. (Yeah, the Belgians are good too)

Next time you're in the US or somehow find anything by these breweries, try them, you'll see the light.

Russian River
    Founders
    Stone Brewing
    Goose Island
    Bear Republic
    Dogfish Head
    Rogue
    Lagunitas
    Weyerbacher The list could go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

They're all p*ss really, let's be honest here, I think for most people it's just a matter of what is most tolerable in the quest to get drunk. I would challenge anyone to say they actually enjoy the tast of beer. I mean, if that is the case, why don't people (apart from alcoholics) have a drink with their breakfast, or drink a beer with their lunch?

I definitely agree though that drinks such as Carlsberg and Harp are total vomit. I know I'll probably get a lynching from the connoisseurs here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Porkpie wrote: »
    They're all p*ss really, let's be honest here, I think for most people it's just a matter of what is most tolerable in the quest to get drunk. I would challenge anyone to say they actually enjoy the tast of beer. I mean, if that is the case, why don't people (apart from alcoholics) have a drink with their breakfast, or drink a beer with their lunch?

I definitely agree though that drinks such as Carlsberg and Harp are total vomit. I know I'll probably get a lynching from the connoisseurs here....

Are you 12?

I love the taste of a good beer. I'll often have a beer with my lunch if I'm not going back to work - the reason I don't have beer for breakfast is because of the alcohol and because I prefer coffee in the morning.

If no-one enjoyed the taste of it they'd just be injecting alocohol straight into the bloodstream and bypassing the taste of it altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

I would challenge anyone to say they actually enjoy the tast of beer.

Em, ok - you're on :D
    I mean, if that is the case, why don't people (apart from alcoholics) have a drink with their breakfast, or drink a beer with their lunch?

For the same reason people who enjoy different types of wines don't have a cheeky bottle of red with their lunch on a work day.

Enjoy it responsibly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Paulaner ON TAP...in an Irish Pub??

What place is this my friend?
    Paulaner is on tap all over Dublin mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I would challenge anyone to say they actually enjoy the tast of beer.
    Youll understand when youre an adult

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Dony

500ml bottles of Staroslav from Aldi -thats if its in stock. Lovely taste!
    A Czech lager.
    Taste is very similar to Budvaar.
    Roll on this evening :D.

Anyone who says they're all piss, doesn't have a clue what they're talking about or drinks tasteless piss & judges all beers based on their highly limited knowledge of what a good beer is.

If your not able to drink beer, stick to the alcopops but don't have a go at people who do enjoy beer because of your own insecurities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

I never ever go near Heineken, Bud, Carlsberg, Miller or the like.

I'm very easily pleased with pints of Smithwicks. Or Cans of Smithwicks.

Chimay from time to time is good. 2-3 bottles of an evening.

Ocassionaly I will have an old fashioned bottle of guinness. I prefer them slighly colder then room temperature as opposed to ice cold.

I'm also Partial to the odd bottle of Innis & Gunn when I can get it. I find 3 or 4 of them is enough as they are very sweet. They are 6.6% too..!

In general my preferance is for dark beers. Quality is a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

Bought 15 bottles of Becks in Tesco for 10euro so tonight is dealt with.

I like Heineken on draught. Way better than the Tennants i drank in Glasgow. The local were doing Budvar for 4 euro a bottle for a while so drank that till the deal stopped.

To be honest if a beer is cold i will probably enjoy it but to say they all taste the same is bizzare. To say they don't taste good is even worse.

Somone mentioned Karpackie earlier on. Great taste from this cheapy and I rate it up with the other Polish beers.

There is a great off license just before the Blanchardstown centre(if your coming from Lucan) that has one of the best selection of beers I have seen. Worth a visit. Cant remember the name of it but will post it when i do.

you don't get bad beer only better ones...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

er i enjoy beer and the reason i don't drink beer at breakkie is becuse i have a job and a wife

when i was in college saturday and sunday were both beer for breakfast days

beer is delicious and i'm sad now because its 3 hours till i get to go home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Love IPA's.. brew dog.. Sierra nevada and such..

Depends where i am.. If it a ****ty main stream club then it's Ken..

Was in 'Against the Grain' on wexford street last weekend.. Was a pleasure not to see a bud, coors or ken tap in sight.. Worked through some very tasty beers!

Advertisement