Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you drink crap or quality beer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

That_Guy wrote: »
    I can understand coffee snobs to a certain extent but beer snobs????

It all goes out the same way regardless of what you drink.

How does a coffee snob differ to a beer snob? Also, what is your definition of a beer snob? Somebody who refuses to drink piss / seeks a quality product?

moonage wrote: »
    I drink for the effect (like everyone else), which sometimes involves getting hammered.

It makes me laugh that some people think they mainly drink alcohol because of the taste.

Of course we all drink alcohol for its effect, otherwise why would one bother to drink? But my question is: Why would you drink a low-quality beer when there are far better beers out there - usually for little extra cost (if one cares to go to a decent off licence)

To me, alcohol is an anomaly in the consumer world. Consumers will always seek the highest quality product, yet with alcohol, people are more than content to drink piss week in, week out, while being totally ignorant of the plentiful (& superior) other options out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

erdinger krystle - all the way baby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Of course we all drink alcohol for its effect, otherwise why would one bother to drink?
    I'm not sure I agree with that. I mean, I rarely drink these days, and would have stopped altogether, except that a good beer or shot of Cognac hits flavour spots that soft drinks just can't reach, even when I drink too slowly to get drunk. (I can make a shot of good Cognac last half a night.)

I was kinda spoiled at a young age, since the first beers I ever paid for were good. I was living in South Africa, and discovered that their local version of Amstel was my favourite, with Castle Lager not far behind. Years later I tried the Amstel you get here and was bitterly (lagerly?) disappointed - no comparison barring the name. South African Breweries has since grown to the point that it now owns half the US beer industry (as SAB Miller), and I can't comment on the quality now.

Of the non-Stouts brewed here, I'll go for the Miller if there are no decent alternatives (much better than the others the OP mentioned IMHO), but otherwise it's a bottled beer. Often a Weissbier such as Erdinger or Paulaner. I tried the Weissbier that Lidl carries at about €1 a can, and it's not half bad on a hot summer's day, but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Another nice one is the Young's Honey Dew you can buy in Tesco - brewed in London and served cold.

It's probably a good thing I don't live in the North of England - I was amazed to find out, on a trip to Manchester a few years ago, just how good a pint of Director's Bitter you can get for £1.25 in a Wetherspoon pub. :pac:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Heineken in the pub, can't stomach the bottles and cans though.

Cans of Hollandia at 99 cent more than make up for what it lacks in taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Kopparberg. Currently the Strawberry & Lime one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Bonito wrote: »
    Kopparberg. Currently the Strawberry & Lime one.

Did you read any of the other posts in this thread? :D

Talking about Beers.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I've stopped going for quantity, I can never drink piss beer anyway so I've decided just to buy fewer, better beers.

I like Leffe blonde.

Just under 7 euro for 4 in Dunnes.

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Did you read any of the other posts in this thread? :D

Talking about Beers.....
    It can't be a cider?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I've stopped going for quantity, I can never drink piss beer anyway so I've decided just to buy fewer, better beers.

I hear ya

Bonito wrote: »
    It can't be a cider?

If the thread was called "Do you drink crap or quality Cider?" I guess it would yeah

• Advertisement

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    If the thread was called "Do you drink crap or quality Cider?" I guess it would yeah
    Alcoholism! :mad:

Wait, that's not right. :D

Suggestions please. Something smoothe but strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I drink Budweiser, Miller and Carling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Ah......how unemployment hit me, I went from Heinekin Harry down to Bavaria Barry.

Still, can't knock 8 cans for €8.

Though if the current economic climate continues I'll be downgrading even further to Binwater Bosco. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Username37

I drink Corona Extra with a lime. Everyone always goes on about how its a crap, overrated beer and I look like a knob drinking it in bars, but I don't care because I think its delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Username37 wrote: »
    I drink Corona Extra with a lime. Everyone always goes on about how its a crap, overrated beer and I look like a knob drinking it in bars, but I don't care because I think its delicious.

Its lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Username37 wrote: »

You do realise that the lime is there to disinfect the bottle and was never meant to be shoved down into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Username37

You do realise that the lime is there to disinfect the bottle and was never meant to be shoved down into it.

You do realise that shoving the lime down makes Corona taste even more delicious? I don't care why the lime is there I am just happy that it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If I see Urquell or Brahma in an offie then I'll pick them up, but I do like Heineken as well. Just because a beer is very popular doesn't automatically mean it's shìte. Some people here sound like the type of people who hate a band as soon as other people start liking them.

I tried some Samuel Adams last time I was in the States but didn't like it very much - Anchor Steam was quite nice though. It's great going to places like Germany or the Czech republic where you know that a local draft beer is going to be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I drink whichever beer I THINK tastes better and can't stand ignorant beer snobs who can't seem to grasp the fact that some people prefer the taste of Bud/Heiniken to the taste of stronger beers. What's so difficult to understand? Sadly theirs a lot of beer snobs on here that don't realise that people are allowed to have an opinion that's different to their own

These snobs like to think your not alowed enjoy the taste of Bud/Heiniken/Calsberg etc and wrongly persume that if you drink these beers you haven't tried that many other beers ...only an braindead idiot would listen to these snobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭James_LWAU

Pints of Harp :p

• Advertisement

I wouldn't consider myself a beer snob, far from it / nor would I consider anyone in this thread.

My outlook is - there is millions of beers there to be tasted.
    Why limit myself to just one.

Fair enough if someone loves Miller etc and wants to stick to only that drink, then fine. It's all down to personal choice.

James_LWAU wrote: »
    Pints of Harp :p
    Have you heard Tommy Tiernan's joke about Harp? (not saying its a bad or good beer i just love the joke)

"harp's a bad bastard of a drink. you can start the night of a harp binge in the best of form and end up standing over your cousin with a shovel roaring, "take it back you bastard! take it back!" - Tommy Tiernan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Greyfox wrote: »
    I drink whichever beer I THINK tastes better and can't stand ignorant beer snobs who can't seem to grasp the fact that some people prefer the taste of Bud/Heiniken to the taste of stronger beers. What's so difficult to understand? Sadly theirs a lot of beer snobs on here that don't realise that people are allowed to have an opinion that's different to their own

These snobs like to think your not alowed enjoy the taste of Bud/Heiniken/Calsberg etc and wrongly persume that if you drink these beers you haven't tried that many other beers ...only an braindead idiot would listen to these snobs!

Not quite true, what you've posted here is merely inverted snobbery.

I accept Heineken/Carlsberg and their ilk for what they are. They are pretty flavourless beers designed to attract huge sales from the mass market and people who don't care for or appreciate deep flavours. That's fair enough and there's nothing necessarily wrong with that.

If I'm out in a pub at a social occasion I don't get in a strop because the bar doesn't stock my favourite Belgian beer, British Real Ale or Irish Craft Beer. Instead I just order a pint of cold lager or Guinness and enjoy it for what it is.

However, give me the choice of a free pint of generic lager or paying for a proper flavoursome, well brewed beer and I'll go for the latter every time. :) I like craft beer/real ale festivals, I love the fact that a pint of brown ale can taste deeply malty, chocolatey or even herby. I love discovering a deep flavoursome draught and savouring the taste. I'd much rather savour the taste of one of these beers over the course of 45 minutes or so than skull back two or three pints of cold, flavourless generic lager in the same time.

However, if that's what you're into then that's fine by me, I couldn't care less but it does sound like you have a right chip on your shoulder about this. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

When I can get my hands on them in Dublin, either Augustiner or Maierbraü.

Failing that, Erdinger, or Becks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Sengoku79

If i'm out and about with friends I will usually drink Guinness, maybe carlsberg, but if it's at home or at a house party, definitely good bottled beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Holden Caulfield

Some people have some horrible taste in beer here!

I mean Carlsberg, Bud and Miller? Awful.

Why get Carlsberg when you can just get Carlsberg Export anyway? It's a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Promac wrote: »

And there's a feckin load of beer snobbery in here - nothing wrong with heineken. It's a quality beer. People just think that whatever is popular is piss and that they look a lot cooler drinking obscure czech beers.

Beer snobbery my arse, the only people getting their backs up here are the people who drink "sh1te" beer and think that we should all only be able to drink "sh1te" beer, in high quantities in a short space of time because all beer is "sh1t".

There's nothing wrong with spending your weekend drinking Budweiser if you want. Fair enough. I think it tastes like piss. Am I supposed to drink what I think tastes like piss just because you like it? Am I not allowed to mention different varieties of beer because you and your ilk get offended?

Anyone can drink what they want. If you are afraid of experimentation you probably stay away from a thread recommending new things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Confab wrote: »
    Well? Do you? I used to drink piss. Bud, Carlsberg, Heinken, Miller, I used to drink them all. But I've had an epiphany.

Most beers aimed at the Irish market are piss.

So I decided to start drinking the good stuff. Gulden Draak and Delirium Tremens/Nocturnum, Chimay Red/Blue, champange... it just makes drinking more pleasant. Gone are the days when I'd try to swallow the dregs of a warm Pisswater and gag violently, thinking someone had violated my pint with their urine. Now beer actually tastes nice.

Who's with me? We're supposed to be one of the biggest drinking countries in Europe and we have the taste in alcohol of a sixteen year old French teen drinking Corona near a puddle. Without the lime.

Edit: Am imbibing Gulden Draak at the moment. Oh dear god is it good.

What about the recession... yadda yadda yadda....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Copper23 wrote: »
    What about the recession... yadda yadda yadda....

best reason in the world to drink :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Turpentine wrote: »
    Am I supposed to drink what I think tastes like piss just because you like it? Am I not allowed to mention different varieties of beer because you and your ilk get offended?

Well i'll listen to opinions of other beers that I have not tried and will try the odd alternative in an off licence/tesco or if i'm in something like the porter house but overall I still prefer the taste of Bud to the 25 or so other beers I have tasted in my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Greyfox wrote: »
    Well i'll listen to opinions of other beers that I have not tried and will try the odd alternative in an off licence/tesco or if i'm in something like the porter house but overall I still prefer the taste of Bud to the 25 or so other beers I have tasted in my life.

There's nothing wrong with that at all. Each to their own. At least you're open minded.

Advertisement