Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you drink crap or quality beer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Username37 wrote: »
    You do realise that shoving the lime down makes Corona taste even more delicious? I don't care why the lime is there I am just happy that it is

The lime totally overpowers the taste of the beer though. You're ordering a beer and then putting something in it that makes it taste like... not beer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

I like the taste of a decent chilled beer & its nothing to do with anything you've said here^. I think you have a few hang ups about not being able to drink beer.

Did you even read my post. Where did i ever say i can't drink beer;
    That said I do drink beer a lot (as it's cheaper in pubs) and i get whatever goes down easy and is cheap.
    FruitLover wrote: »
    Why do you even bother to reply to this thread when you don't know WTF you're talking about? :confused:
    Well first of all i drink beer often enough so this thead is relevant to me. And i've tried many of these so called "quality" beers and found them to be less pleasant tasting than many so called "crap" beers.

But mostly to give out about the growing trend for snobbery around beer in ireland (a few more years and it'll go the way of wine snobbery or coffee snobbery. Seems people are just predisposed to thinking they're better than others for what type of products they buy :confused:).
    Promac wrote: »
    Are you 12?

If no-one enjoyed the taste of it they'd just be injecting alocohol straight into the bloodstream and bypassing the taste of it altogether.

People can grow tolerant to the taste of beer, and then maybe with a little help from classical conditioning (i.e their brain begins to associate the taste of beer with the pleasureable effects of alcohol) they may even begin to start enjoying it. Which is fine. But if someone chooses not to drink beer, or would prefer to drink milder tasting beer then that's fine too.

The reason beer is still so popular is mostly because of tradition and personal habit, but also in part because there is pressure put on men to enjoy beer (and to a lesser extent wine for women), to the point where a huge proportion force themselves to like these drinks to fit in and avoid society's judgement (i.e that men who don't enjoy beer are somehow less manly or less mature). Idiotic attitudes such as this one;
    Promac wrote: »
    Are you 12?
    and this one;
    CiaranC wrote: »
    Youll understand when youre an adult
    seem widespread throughout society.

Let people drink whatever the fuck they want. The things people look down on others for :confused:.

Also, I love the "injecting alcohol" line :rolleyes:. As if drinking alcohol for the effects is akin to injecting heroin. I'm fine with my naggin+mixer thank you very much :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

I have been enjoying kilkenny draught as of late. delicious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The lime totally overpowers the taste of the beer though. You're ordering a beer and then putting something in it that makes it taste like... not beer

It's not even worth arguing. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Don't know if it's been mentioned but Hoegaarden is one of my favourites. I could be wrong but it seems less places in Dublin do it on tap these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Can't believe some of the attitudes here... "all beer is crap" - "just drink the most tasteless one to get drunk" etc etc etc.

I also can't understand how it's perfectly acceptable to be a 'wine snob' but not a 'beer snob'. Not just here, but in general - like when you go to a good restaurant. They have great food & an extensive wine list, but when you ask "what beers do you have?" they usually just say "Bud, Heineken, Miller and Coors Light...." and that's it!!! WTF?!?

I love the taste of a good beer. Some of my personal favourites are Leffe, Erdinger and Hoegaarden. I don't drink beer to appear 'more manly' or to fit in, as someone suggested earlier. I like a nice beer even if I'm home alone watching the TV. Even just one sometimes.

I can't believe nobody here has mentioned Kwak yet either. (Maybe you have, but I didn't read every post)... AFAIK it's hard to get here. I got a gift box of their special glass and 4 bottles of it last Christmas, and it's really lovely stuff.

To the people who don't know about their beers and would like to know more, get yourself over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Well said steviecakes, its quality over quantity that counts nevermind the after shock of zero headaches in the morn like Bud drinkers do have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Greyfox wrote: »
    I drink whichever beer I THINK tastes better and can't stand ignorant beer snobs who can't seem to grasp the fact that some people prefer the taste of Bud/Heiniken to the taste of stronger beers. What's so difficult to understand? Sadly theirs a lot of beer snobs on here that don't realise that people are allowed to have an opinion that's different to their own

These snobs like to think your not alowed enjoy the taste of Bud/Heiniken/Calsberg etc and wrongly persume that if you drink these beers you haven't tried that many other beers ...only an braindead idiot would listen to these snobs!

Have you ever drank anything bar Heino and Bud.... nope - didn't think so

come back when you've tried both

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Confab wrote: »
    Well? Do you? I used to drink piss. Bud, Carlsberg, Heinken, Miller, I used to drink them all. But I've had an epiphany.

Most beers aimed at the Irish market are piss.

So I decided to start drinking the good stuff. Gulden Draak and Delirium Tremens/Nocturnum, Chimay Red/Blue, champange... it just makes drinking more pleasant. Gone are the days when I'd try to swallow the dregs of a warm Pisswater and gag violently, thinking someone had violated my pint with their urine. Now beer actually tastes nice.

Who's with me? We're supposed to be one of the biggest drinking countries in Europe and we have the taste in alcohol of a sixteen year old French teen drinking Corona near a puddle. Without the lime.

Edit: Am imbibing Gulden Draak at the moment. Oh dear god is it good.

In Ireland you have a choice of draft beer.
    Guinness, Smithwicks, A multitude of mainstream Lager, or Bulmers.

Thats what you get from Kerry to Derry - Take it or leave it.

In England you can travel from one village to another and sample different flavours of local brews from Cornwall to Cumberland.

Bottled continental beer has its place, but it is vastly overpriced over here.

For a nation that prides itself on fertile land we have a sorry history of brewing. We have the best ingredients growing on our land, but the vast majority of that produce goes to feed the multinational tourist trap, advertising agency owned by Diago.

We like to buy into the old lark about "A pint of plain being yer only man."

But the truth is - We have little chance to try anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

name me all the crap beers and all the good ones.

Is this not just a matter of personal taste?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

All I can say, Carlsberg is the worst mass market beer. Terrible ****e. Chimey/Duval ftw!

Quality > Quantity

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭moonage

If some people like the taste of beer as much as they think they do, I wonder why non-alcoholic beers aren't more popular.

The fantastic taste of beer without the inconvenience of the alcohol! Beer for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

moonage wrote: »
    If some people like the taste of beer as much as they think they do, I wonder why non-alcoholic beers aren't more popular.

The fantastic taste of beer without the inconvenience of the alcohol! Beer for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
    You can't smell like beer going in to work.

Bonito wrote: »
    You can't smell like beer going in to work.

If there's no alcohol in it, you won't smell like beer.

If there's no alcohol in it, you won't smell like beer.
    So it's the alcohol in beer that makes it smell like beer? All 6% or so of it. It wouldn't be the yeast or hops or barley or the likes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Is there a reason for this? We always hear the hype about the "Irish pub" being the best in the world :confused:

The selection of beers on tap is awful.

The reason is that these beers are just awkward to get in, wont be drank by anybody except 1 in every 400 people, will end up going off and will cost a fortune if this happens - if a pub was to get on tap all the beers listed here you would not have anywhere to put you pint on the bar due to all the taps - Also the ice banks used for cooling the beer come in 16 line units (usually) and if you take a pub with 2 banks of 7 taps = 14 taps and want to bring in 2 or 3 more beers you going to have to install a new ice bank (a nice €7000.00) and rip up half you bar installing lines etc - Not worth it for anyone!

Porterhouses etc were set up in a fashion to enable easy installation and removal of lines so this is no problem - but for 1 or 2 people to go into a rural pub and ask for these beers to be put on tap - even if you drink 5 pints every night for a year - it probably still wouldnt be worth it.

So it's the alcohol in beer that makes it smell like beer? All 6% or so of it. It wouldn't be the yeast or hops or barley or the likes?

The smell of alcohol comes from alcohol.

The smell of alcohol comes from alcohol.
    Well alcohol is hardling going to smell like beer now, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

I don't drink beer. But ye olde stonehouse is where it's at.

Strong dry cider trumps pissy beer any day of the week. It's also cheapish. :)

Well alcohol is hardling going to smell like beer now, is it?

No. Just suck a mint then.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Who here does the home brew? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Banji

Thank god other people are calling out the beer snobs for what they are.

Snobs are losers.. like with any area. Cars, music, beer, sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Let people drink whatever the fuck they want. The things people look down on others for :confused:.

Also, I love the "injecting alcohol" line :rolleyes:. As if drinking alcohol for the effects is akin to injecting heroin. I'm fine with my naggin+mixer thank you very much :P.

Listen mate - the guy was saying beer tastes bad - I wasn't looking down my nose at whatever he drinks because he didn't say.

The snobs and inverted snobs here are getting worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Two Japanese lagers that I love are Sapporo and Asahi.

Otherwise here in Sheffield, it's the local ales like Pale Rider or Moonshine.
    Sometimes Hoegaarden, Staropramen, Budvar or Pilsner Urquell.

The pouring of Guinness over here is not pretty in many places so usually leave that for when I'm home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

cashback wrote: »
    Two Japanese lagers that I love are Sapporo and Asahi

Sapporo and Asahi are brewing companies, not lagers - I'm guessing you mean Sapporo 'Black Label' (called 'Sapporo Draft' in some countries) and Asahi 'Super-Dry' as they're the most commonly exported lagers from these two companies.

Actually, they're far from the best available - my personal preferences are Sapporo's ヱビス(Yebisu) line, and Asahi's 北の職人(kita no shokunin)(only available in Hokkaido, as the name alludes). Another notable mention is Okinawa's Orion brewery.

Non-alcoholic beers taste like minced balls. If they could make a non-alcoholic beer that tasted like Chimay, then I'd be interested.
    The lime totally overpowers the taste of the beer though

That's the entire point - Corona tastes like hairy, sweaty ass; the lime is there to mask that taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

That's the entire point - Corona tastes like hairy, sweaty ass; the lime is there to mask that taste.

Just having one now.... *sip*

Yup I'm getting sweaty ass but I'm not getting those hairy undertones that you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

I drink beamish cause its a few cents cheaper than guinness and murphy's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

I drink beamish cause its a few cents cheaper than guinness and murphy's

Its a smoother taste too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

Non-alcoholic beers taste like minced balls. If they could make a non-alcoholic beer that tasted like Chimay, then I'd be interested.

Have you tried non-alco cobra? I almost prefer it to Cobra.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Piss ftw . . .

Advertisement