Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here have experience with the UK research councils?

Options
  • 21-10-2010 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

For anyone thinking about going to the UK for a masters, I hear that government research bodies like the ESRC and the AHRC offer a far better bet for funding than private scholarships, which "tend to percolate out on the I-knew-your-father assessment method", according to one of my lecturers.

Do any of ye know how these councils work?

As far as I know (which is probably half-wrong), it roughly goes like this: your university department accepts you for a course, and if you're really good/deserving/lucky, they'll either provide you with funding (if the council provides funding for your department) or, if the council doesn't fund your particular course, you apply directly to them and they throw you into an "open competition" with others for funding, which is intensely competitive.
    There are very few offers each year. And if your course is a taught masters, your chances of getting Research Council funding is reduced even further.

Thoughts/input/ideas/corrections welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

I think that's how it works, though I didn't get funding so I'm not entirely sure. I didn't have to apply separately to the council anyway, it just went through the college. Also bear in mind that a lot of grants etc are for UK residents only, so you'll be fairly limited as to what you can apply for. Well that's how it is in science anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

Yeah. That's true across the board as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

You need to be resident for three years to get full funding otherwise, as long as you're EU, it's fees only. Some universities offer bursaries and other forms of funding that'll cover all or part of your fees as well for masters level. Full maintenance funding is pretty scarce unless you're from Great Britain or a resident.

Advertisement