Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radon Gas Test

• 21-10-2010 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Cant find any thread on this after all the fuss recently. Anyone get it done and care to post the results and the area. Is it all a gimmick to drum up business?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Ahh it's gas isn'nt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

marlin vs wrote: »
    Ahh it's gas isn'nt it.

badum-tish.jpg&t=1

Back on topic, my parents are supposed to be getting it done but haven't yet as far as I know. I doubt it's a gimmick and radon is nothing to be flippant about but I too would like to see the results of some Waterford houses to see they match up with what's being predicted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Guy who lives in the folly just past church going up the hill got it done and results were within safety limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

I was wondering about this too, all the leaflets that came were all about the testing but there was no mention at all of how to fix it and the cost. Just did a bit of googling and its €50 for the test and only one site gave a price of approx €1,300 plus vat to get it fixed. Also found this article which went out when the Sligo awareness campaign started:

http://www.sligochampion.ie/temp/so-what-happens-if-you-have-high-radon-levels-2123326.html

I particularly didn't like these bits:
    "I recently remediated a home and the occupant had advanced lung cancer. Other homeowners have since died of lung cancer. The damage was already done. I console myself by knowing that the work we did in their homes will protect those left behind and the future generations living in that home."
    "People are worried about money, but the question is can you put a price on your health?"

I really don't like this kind of selling. I think I'll hold off on getting tested just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Here's a map I saw from a few years ago

[URL="http:///www.rpii.ie/radon-map.aspx"]http://www.rpii.ie/radon-map.aspx[/URL]

Our house in Tipp came back with 2400Bq/m3... the average is 400Bq/m3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We got the test done, sent off for the kit, put them in place and sent them back when due. No hassle. We are in a radon hotspot but our reading was low, mainly because we have well ventilated, suspended floors so the gas (if there is any) is well able to escape before coming through the floor. I think concrete floors are more of an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

PandyAndy wrote: »
    Here's a map I saw from a few years ago

[URL="http:///www.rpii.ie/radon-map.aspx"]http://www.rpii.ie/radon-map.aspx[/URL]

Our house in Tipp came back with 2400Bq/m3... the average is 400Bq/m3.

Holy god how are you even alive!! Seriously though did you get it fixed or move out? I'm really on the fence on this one. There isn't a govt grant for this either.

We dug some ventilation holes into the foundations which would hopefully cause the radon to run out (Our house was built in '92 before regulations said that plastic membrane had to added to foundation)

Anywho we ran the test again and sent off the results. Never heard anything since. This was back in 05/06 btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

got the detectors 2 days ago in place now for 3 months

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

If your house was built recently should the radon prevention measures be in place?

• Advertisement

longshanks wrote: »
    If your house was built recently should the radon prevention measures be in place?

Yup, anything new since 1998 so the site says.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/EnvironmentalRadiation/Radon/
    Preventative Measures

Since July 1998, all new dwellings and long stay buildings are required to incorporate some degree of radon preventative measures at the time of construction in accordance with the revised Building Regulations. The degree of protection required is dependent upon whether the site is located within a high or low radon area.

Edit: From what I remember doing Construction Studies in the LC in '06 all foundations had to be surrounded by a DPM(?) Something Something Membrane. Or something :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Is the damp proof membrane (if that's what you call it) enough to reduce levels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

My house is only 3 years old so why did I get a flyer.

Unnecessary exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

deisemum wrote: »
    Is the damp proof membrane (if that's what you call it) enough to reduce levels?

I doubt it, majority of them are torn anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

deisemum wrote: »

The radon barrier is something different but is installed in nearly all modern houses. Did my leaving cert construction studies project on this a good few years ago but I see our local by-election candidate Paudie Coffey is talking about this recently and its started to creep into the press moreso then ever.

If I recall, the testing kits were free and easy to do. My own house came back clean those years ago, but there are other "tests" which people carry out along the same lines which are reportedly linked with cancer and the likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I did a business course back in 1999/2000 and one of the other participants on the course was starting a business to deal with radon gas, testing and remedial work.

Advertisement