Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

By-passed towns, post M3 opening

Options
  • 21-10-2010 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Now that the M3 is fully up and running, it would be interesting to hear the views of people from the three towns involved regarding what effects the opening of the road has had.

In my case, living in Dunshaughlin, commuting to and from Ballyfermot where I work is now virtually stress-free. And that's without having to go near the M50 or the M3 (or the numerous back-roads I used to take) so good news there.

Of course, how much is it because of the new roads and how much is it because of the recession? But commuting-wise anyway, so far, so good...

As far as commercial life in the village is concerned, things seem quieter, but the same M3 v. recession thing applies.

Obviously, a lot less traffic goes through Dunshaughlin, but there is still a significant number of juggernauts driving through to avoid the tolls.

Anytime I stand at the bus-stop outside Madden's, I find it somewhat un-nerving as the trucks negotiate the bend just there. And of course a 40-foot did overturn at this spot a few years ago.

So I wonder is there a case to have these trucks banned from driving through these by-passed towns?

Anyway, overall, I think the pros of the M3 out-weigh the cons, although a letter-writer in this week's Meath Chronicle wouldn't agree. The writer thinks we are all fools to have let this road be built...different opinions but I suppose that's what makes the world a more interesting place.

Comments

i dont agree with the letter in the chronicle either, especially with that ridiculous reference to the spire of loyd (actually known as the spire of loyd) being regarded as a folly, i suggest he check his historical facts! as for the M3, it cannot be judged as a "folly" yet as it has only being in operation for 5 months. When it opened at first there was a considerable difference in the volume of traffic travelling through kells, notably less heavy goods vehicles, however the fact that there is two tolls from kells to dublin, which if a monday to friday commuter was paying it adds to 26 euro a week, would not encourage people to use it as often as the NRA had planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

i dont agree with the letter in the chronicle either, especially with that ridiculous reference to the spire of loyd (actually known as the spire of loyd) being regarded as a folly, i suggest he check his historical facts! as for the M3, it cannot be judged as a "folly" yet as it has only being in operation for 5 months. When it opened at first there was a considerable difference in the volume of traffic travelling through kells, notably less heavy goods vehicles, however the fact that there is two tolls from kells to dublin, which if a monday to friday commuter was paying it adds to 26 euro a week, would not encourage people to use it as often as the NRA had planned.

Interestingly enough, an average figure of 21,540 PCU's was quoted for the M3. OK, that's short of the target of 26,250 PCUs. However, the design year capacity for a 2+2 road (like the new N3 section North of Kells) is 20,000 PCUs, while a 2+1 is 14,000 PCUs. At least some of the M3 is already in excess of both those figures (in a recession and all), so the argument that the M3 is not needed has been well and truely blown out of the water - even a 2+2 would have been over capacity from the start let alone the design year (20 or so years hence). I would actually be more worried about the M3's 44,100 PCU capacity in 20 years - hopefully, it will be enough! In any case, the Leinster Outer Orbital will probably be built by then.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

i dont agree with the letter in the chronicle either, especially with that ridiculous reference to the spire of loyd (actually known as the spire of loyd) being regarded as a folly, i suggest he check his historical facts!

Are you suggesting the Spire of Lloyd isn't a folly ? Strange place for a working lighthouse...

hmboards wrote: »
    Are you suggesting the Spire of Lloyd isn't a folly ? Strange place for a working lighthouse...

its not a folly to provide employment in times of famine and despair, even if they built a pyramid on that hill, it kept a lot of people out of the workhouse. So what if its a lighthouse, its a pleasure to the eye, its hardly the o connell st spike now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

its not a folly to provide employment in times of famine and despair, even if they built a pyramid on that hill, it kept a lot of people out of the workhouse. So what if its a lighthouse, its a pleasure to the eye, its hardly the o connell st spike now is it?

A folly is something that looks like it was built for a particular purpose but is actually built for it's decorative quality. You will find it described as a folly on the tourism sites too. They were common in that era though normally smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭creative100

So is it a folly or not? I'm told it was for the Headforts to watch the races..

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

I used to do a lot of work in Dunshauglin but since the by pass opened the place seems dead. Can any of the local business confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

So is it a folly or not? I'm told it was for the Headforts to watch the races..

So I wonder what Basil, Sybil, and Manuel would make of these "folly towers"?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭creative100

CUCINA wrote: »
    So I wonder what Basil, Sybil, and Manuel would make of these "folly towers"?:)

Don't mention the motorway, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mits wrote: »
    I used to do a lot of work in Dunshauglin but since the by pass opened the place seems dead. Can any of the local business confirm?

I was up there recently and a lot of the shops on the main street seem to be closed/gone out of business.

• Advertisement
Advertisement