Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carphonewarehouse.ie

Options
  • 21-10-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭

Carphonewarehouse Ireland actually has a few phones, for a change!
    I was interested in the Sony Ericsson Zylo, among others. THis is available for all networks (at slightly different prices). Are these phones locked and branded as they would be if you bought them from the network directly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rolodea

Don't go with the zylo these are a terrible phone and as for carphone warehouse u should look at buying online they are much cheaper if you want one on a specific network.
    Meteor are 119.99
    3 are 119.99
    vodafone are 69.99

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I can compare the prices with the operator websites. I can even read reviews for the phones, although I've been happy with my SE W595 and the Zylo seems like the next model of this type. However, I just want to know if there is any difference in the software on phones purchased from CPW than directly from the operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Buy from a network store if you can, sometimes the carphone stuff thats brought in from england, ive seen meteor phones with tmobile setting etc

OP is right about the zylo, nice phone but very prone to breaking down.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

Buy from a network store if you can, sometimes the carphone stuff thats brought in from england, ive seen meteor phones with tmobile setting etc

OP is right about the zylo, nice phone but very prone to breaking down.

Lol when does that happen?

Ive worked in CPW never seen that, and ive sold 100s of phones

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Gooch2k4 wrote: »

I saw it once with a batch of W810s. You just had to get the right settings though so it's not exactly a reason to avoid buying from them

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I saw it once with a batch of W810s. You just had to get the right settings though so it's not exactly a reason to avoid buying from them

How old is that phone??

you cant base your assumptions off a batch of phones from 3-4 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I saw it on a few w595's this year also on some LG's. When you go into the settings it was set up for UK carriers, so it was stock they couldn't shift in the UK they just brought over, unlocked them and called it exclusive.

How old is that phone??

you cant base your assumptions off a batch of phones from 3-4 years ago

It's not an assumption and it wasn't one phone. I used to work there. It was a a few years ago but the point is that it can happen. The point is also that it takes about 30 seconds to remedy the problem so even in the highly unlikely event that it does happen it's still not a reason to avoid buying from the shop

so it was stock they couldn't shift in the UK
    Or they could have bought them all in bulk and given a consignment to Ireland.......?

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Or they could have bought them all in bulk and given a consignment to Ireland.......?
    This is more accurate,
    maybe i never seen it because CPW changed distributors and they were loading correct software on the phones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I saw it on a few w595's this year also on some LG's. When you go into the settings it was set up for UK carriers, so it was stock they couldn't shift in the UK they just brought over, unlocked them and called it exclusive

If this is the case here that would suit me fine. If the phone is unlocked, I couldn't care less what settings it has. As I will be using it will several SIMs and will have to install settings anyhow. Are these phones unlocked?

ardmacha wrote: »
    If this is the case here that would suit me fine. If the phone is unlocked, I couldn't care less what settings it has. As I will be using it will several SIMs and will have to install settings anyhow. Are these phones unlocked?

Some are but you can't depend on it. Check the phone in store before buying

Advertisement