Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A crime section?

Options
  • 21-10-2010 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭

I am just curious is there a section where crimes that are in the news or where drug dealers etc... section posted about.
    I thought might be good idea like own sunday world section,and discuss?

I hope right area to post,if not could it be moved and sorry.
    Thanks Casey :)

p.s cause they always end up in AH and politics.But nothing like crime section.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There is nothing good about having any part of Boards being comparable to the Sunday World. Also a forum for naming or discussing drug dealers and other criminals would almost inevitably lead to a member of the Boards staff being put in harm's way should a criminal object particularly strongly to what's being said about them on the site, and that's not a risk that's worth taking.

This should be in the Forum Requests forum, but as no new requests are being considered at the moment, and as this would definitely be rejected, there's little point in moving it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Zaph wrote: »
    There is nothing good about having any part of Boards being comparable to the Sunday World. Also a forum for naming or discussing drug dealers and other criminals would almost inevitably lead to a member of the Boards staff being put in harm's way should a criminal object particularly strongly to what's being said about them on the site, and that's not a risk that's worth taking.
    I see what you mean thanks,didnt think of it like that just thought seen as its done anyway in threads on AH and politics, wouldn't be an issue.And would take it out of there.

p.s didnt mean exactly sunday world though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

two posts deleted for being pointless. If you dont have something useful to add to the topic, please refrain from posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I think a general crime forum would be pretty cool actually, not necessarily for shooting off at the mouth about local criminals but for discussing historical crimes and investigations etc. It's a fairly popular subject after all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

problem is, it would be a legal minefield.

Users would give their opinions on crimes and inevitably, users would get facts wrong but still assert them as fact. I would see a lot of potential for defamation and false accusation.

Also, what if a crime is discussed and someone posts up that they know who did it? Does boards get a call from the gardai demanding that user's private information or be accused of witholding evidence? Obstruction of justice? Misrepresentation of the facts?

AH was originally supposed to be the general discussion forum, the "pub chat", so the need for a forum to discuss crime (future/past or present) and current media topics has already been catered to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I think LoLth's points could be just as easily used to argue in favour of a crime forum. If people are going to discuss these crimes and criminals in a different forum whether it be After Hours or a regional forum or wherever, then the same legal issues will surely still arise.

At least if you have a dedicated crime forum, it would be easier to monitor for legal issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Aye, I can see the argument for and against it. It could be a magnet for people wanting to post unsubstantiated claims and would probably be difficult to Mod. Though on the other hand, the site-wide rules would still apply, so prejudicial or defaming posts would presumably not be allowed just like they aren't in other forums.

I'm not too sure what the OP had in mind anyway, whether she meant a forum for discussing already publicised cases or just chit-chat and conjecture about crimes happening today. The latter would indeed be a minefield

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

This is a very difficult one to have an opinion on either way, because i could give you 5 solid reasons for and against a forum like this on either side.

The biggest issue i have that springs to mind is as mentioned the legal issues. Crime is at the moment widely spoken about already on AH but i would accept that a more serious pitchfork free forum would certainly have merits.

Im going to light the fire now,drink a coffee have a fag and ill think about this some more :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There are a lot of nonsense posts on boards

A poster wrote Owen Gaffney (allegedly assaulted by 4 gardai) was never in trouble with gardai.
    And then another poster claimed that Owen had 27 previous convictions.
    Come on, most people reading this have none or minor ones for traffic offenses. 27???

In the end one poster was proved correct and the other was talking ****e

A crime section would put these into one place and be easier to monitor

Btw OP, we should be aiming higher then the Sunday World!

There are a lot of nonsense posts on boards

A poster wrote Owen Gaffney (allegedly assaulted by 4 gardai) was never in trouble with gardai.
    And then another poster claimed that Owen had 27 previous convictions.
    Come on, most people reading this have none or minor ones for traffic offenses. 27???

In the end one poster was proved correct and the other was talking ****e

A crime section would put these into one place and be easier to monitor

Btw OP, we should be aiming higher then the Sunday World!
    #

Thanks everyone who see it as a good idea.It was just a sudden thought so hadnt given much thought to how it would come about.
    Also could have fictional murder stories and who dunnit if they wanted to lighten it up a bit.

Nah i didnt mean exactly sunday world stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

caseyann wrote: »
    Also could have fictional murder stories and who dunnit if they wanted to lighten it up a bit.

Can I be the defendant, I live in Ballyfermot :pac:

Can I be the defendant, I live in Ballyfermot :pac:

No thats not fair you know too much on how to get off :pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think a general crime forum would be pretty cool actually, not necessarily for shooting off at the mouth about local criminals but for discussing historical crimes and investigations etc. It's a fairly popular subject after all
    Yeah, that might be interesting, rather than "Rah rah, someone said there's a paedophile in Swords, let's get him!" kinda stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Zaph wrote: »
    There is nothing good about having any part of Boards being comparable to the Sunday World.

Perhaps this could be a rational alternative.

If I was writing the charter I would ban any talk of current criminals individually.

There was a lot of support for this before and I think its a great idea.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055399766

I know this hasnt been put forward and didnt feel like should open another thread on it.
    I know mods always sticky missing people threads and its great,but i feel would be very important if perhaps if you wouldn't consider the crime thread,Boards would consider a missing persons forum of the site?
    As personally when i want to post up a thread to make people aware and maybe get to people right away.I dont know where to post it.
    And would be also great to get the information and their pictures out there as fast as possible.
    Thanks Casey :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

caseyann wrote: »
    when i want to post up a thread to make people aware and maybe get to people right away.I dont know where to post it.
    And would be also great to get the information and their pictures out there as fast as possible.

I'm working on something at the moment that may help with that. As soon as I have any confirmation of it, I'll let you know, but thanks for your suggestion. It's appreciated.

Darragh wrote: »
    I'm working on something at the moment that may help with that. As soon as I have any confirmation of it, I'll let you know, but thanks for your suggestion. It's appreciated.

Thats great thanks alot Darragh :)

Advertisement