Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B+Q -Automated tills

Options
  • 21-10-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

just a query that has been bugging me for a while. how come the self service tills in B+Q Rahoon are almost constantly closed off these days. They used to be a handy option when the checkouts were busy.

westgolf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

yeah they're rarely open if I'm up there and I'm usually only ever getting one small item and have to wait behind someone with a big trolley load of stuff!

I can see why though it's normally so quiet and they need one member of staff to man all the automated tills but need to keep one "proper" till open for bigger sales where the item can't be lifted for scanning etc.

so they only open self-service when it's busy which isn't often

oh and I don't mean to be nitpicking but it's in knocknacarra not rahoon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

magentas wrote: »
    yeah they're rarely open if I'm up there and I'm usually only ever getting one small item and have to wait behind someone with a big trolley load of stuff!

I can see why though it's normally so quiet and they need one member of staff to man all the automated tills but need to keep one "proper" till open for bigger sales where the item can't be lifted for scanning etc.

sorry but your wrong.

there is another hand scanner for you to use that reaches down so you can scan heavy stuff on the trolley and what not.

self services tills are the worst thing to happen to the company.

from my experience in Liffey Valley there are days when they will only have self service tills open and only one or two people looking after about 4 or 8 of them.

Liffey Valley always has one set of self service tills open but will have only one member of staff looking after them all. People get confused a lot of the time and slow things down a lot. Things like blocks or bricks that don't have barcodes need staff to get the books with barcodes to scan them and make sure they are the right one's and so on.

another reason why they get rarely used is security .. very easy for a customer during a busy hour to just not scan one of the heavy items on the trolley and get away with it ... its not until later they get caught from cctv though.

a lot of other stores don't use them either like naas and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

when I said for bigger items to be scanned ETC. I didn't want to go on rant but I'm aware of security aspect that's the thing big items not being taken off trolly to be scanned can easily be "forgotten" to be scanned!
    and missing barcodes/slow customers and stuff

I didn't know that there's handscanners on them too though so cheers for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I always use the Bulk Item till in Liffey Valley - no queue and always someone manning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Judging by the radio adds even Bill Bailey has noticed that you can spot the self service tills as they are the ones with several members of staff hanging around them doing nothing.

However I think that the B&Q staff & customer service are excellent. I recently had a situation where a member of staff knew that I was interested in a sale item. She gave me one of her "family & friends vouchers" that gave me 20% off & then went & found a manager who reduced it even more.

When the store is quiet & only one till is open it has to be a normal till. Where it goes wrong is when extra customers come in. They need a system to monitor the number of people coming in & alert the checkouts in advance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement