Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do people think of "Wasp"?

Options
  • 21-10-2010 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

It was only resently i heard a few tracks from this group. Would you put them in line with Maiden? They go back to the mid 80's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

IMO W.A.S.P are the most underrated Metal band. They are fantastic, their live shows still rock the **** outa ya, they are playing the acadamy 27th november! going to be great!

What tracks did you get? The Crimson Idol album is probably their finest work(or blackies finest). The debut album is unreal too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

kona wrote: »
    IMO W.A.S.P are the most underrated Metal band. They are fantastic, their live shows still rock the **** outa ya, they are playing the acadamy 27th november! going to be great!

What tracks did you get? The Crimson Idol album is probably their finest work(or blackies finest). The debut album is unreal too.

Cheers. Just heard a few tracks tonight and thought they were excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

gotta love wasp check out the headless children album too!

Thanks for the heads up on the 27th kona...off to ticketmaster...

GO to this gig op, you will not be dissapointed!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

I haven't heard them for years, saw them in Manchester apollo many moons ago, think it was the electric Circus tour, they were really good and I liked what they did... Blackie used to be proper funny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I was aware of them in the 90's but never really listened to them, I borrowed some stuff from a buddy before seeing them at Sonisphere. I was well surprised by their stuff especially the latest Babylon which is a savage album.

Looking forward to seeing them next month as they rocked at Sonisphere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

A band who released some right tripe which tended to be remembered over the very underrated excellent music they made. I would have first started to listen to some of their stuff during the 80's when shock value was their selling point in many ways.

Their more recent albums have been really good, especially Babylon which is a kick ass album in a live setting.

They have something like 14 or 15 studio albums, of which about 9 or 10 are damn good listens to my ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Yes they're so underrated it's not funny, when I heard that they were playing in the academy my heart skipped a beat tickets are only 25 quid! Might drag the boyfriend along to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

wasp are just amazing ,live shows are just savage

i would put them a few lines ahead of maiden ,especially with the crap maiden are putting out these days,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

wasp are just amazing ,live shows are just savage

i would put them a few lines ahead of maiden ,especially with the crap maiden are putting out these days,
    At least Maiden put on an excellent show as was seen at the RDS in 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Thanks for the heads up on the 27th kona...off to ticketmaster...

tickets.ie FTW, save yourself almost all of the booking fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

A bloody great band. Have to agree with the general consensus here that they are criminally under-rated. Heaven's Hung In Black is epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Agree with most of whats been said here ... ver y underated , excellent live. Last years gig in the Music Centre was top notch and the latest album Babylon is a definate return to form ... get yer arse to the Academy on Nov 27th ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Lots of hits from the late '80s.
    Some good songs.
    Better than expected.
    Chainsaw Charlie is a great song.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Savage band and as mentioned previously criminally underrated. Not sure why mainstream popularity passed them by but they put on a brilliant live show. Last years gig in the TBMC was epic and i can't wait for this years gig in the Academy.

Nolanger wrote: »
    Lots of hits from the late '80s.
    Some good songs.
    Better than expected.
    Chainsaw Charlie is a great song.

Pretty much most of the albums from The Headless Children onwards are between good and really good imho, and worth checking out.

My picks from their albums would be

The Headless Children
    The Crimson Idol
    The Neon God: Part 1 – The Rise
    The Neon God, Pt. 2: The Demise
    Dominator
    Babylon

With the first two and the last on that list being the strongest albums that WASP have put out imho.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Savage band and as mentioned previously criminally underrated. Not sure why mainstream popularity passed them by but they put on a brilliant live show. Last years gig in the TBMC was epic and i can't wait for this years gig in the Academy.

I think they have forever been tainted by the shock rock image they had in the early to mid 80's coupled with some early albums to match that image. I know that I treated them like a joke for years because of their earlier albums and antics, and it was not until I gave The Crimson Idol a listen a few years after it was released that I gave them a chance again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

headless children = guilty pleasure made good 20 years later

Kess73 wrote: »
    I think they have forever been tainted by the shock rock image they had in the early to mid 80's coupled with some early albums to match that image. I know that I treated them like a joke for years because of their earlier albums and antics, and it was not until I gave The Crimson Idol a listen a few years after it was released that I gave them a chance again.

I think their image both hindered and helped them in a peculiar way. When Tipper Gore and her bunch of loonies went after Rock & Metal it gave W.A.S.P. a lot of bad publicity and impacted their live shows. Perversely it brought them to a whole new audience who weren't even aware of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭IanMc666

I love them, can't wait to see them this year again for the third time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

WASP are crap :p

• Advertisement

WASP are crap :p

FATHER_TED_Down_with_this_sort_of_t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Saw them back in 87 in donnington they put on a great show
    I think he beheaded her

don-87-wasp-ian-w.jpg

At least Maiden put on an excellent show as was seen at the RDS in 2005.

they do put on a good show ,rds was a good one ..last show in the point i found it very boring tbh ,and im not a fan of the new maiden after brave new world

exellent picture ,nice one for posting that.

sorry for the double posting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

never liked them until a friend brought me to see them in button factory. have to say i had a great time...great tunes, 80's excess, babes and pyrotechnics, what more do you want?.....the more i listen to them the more i think the cult took a lot of influence off them for their later albums....

Advertisement