Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have a 4 year plan to get us out of this hole we're in (literally).

• 22-10-2010 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭

our gdp is roughly 192 billion euro so we stop spending on absolutely everything for 4 years. The only thing we spend our money on is creating jobs on working on a secret trans-atlantic tunnel. 500,000 unemployed are given jobs working on this thing and everyone else stays the same doing what ever they do.

ive put a lot of research in to this idea and the wikipedia article on a trans-atlantic tunnel estimates the cost of such a tunnel at being 175 billion to $12 trillion so if we just stop literally all spending for a while and invest everything in this mad big tunnel we can definitely do this then when we reach america well pop up in the desert of texas or something and well leg it away before the border police realise wahts going on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Sheeps wrote: »
    our gdp is roughly 192 billion euro so we stop spending on absolutely everything for 4 years. The only thing we spend our money on is creating jobs on working on a secret trans-atlantic tunnel. 500,000 unemployed are given jobs working on this thing and everyone else stays the same doing what ever they do.

ive put a lot of research in to this idea and the wikipedia article on a trans-atlantic tunnel estimates the cost of such a tunnel at being 175 billion to $12 trillion so if we just stop literally all spending for a while and invest everything in this mad big tunnel we can definitely do this then when we reach america well pop up in the desert of texas or something and well leg it away before the border police realise wahts going on.
    If we stopped spending money for one week our economy would completely stop.

Try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

You're m-a-a-a-a-a-a-d you know that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

also when you read my idea and realise that its quite obviously a shite idea id like to add that this is not a tread about economic recovery but about how cool a trans-atlantic tunnel would be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

I think someone doesn't understand GDP, or tunnelling

thats what north korea should do with their slave labor. put it to use on something as cool as a massive tunnel that would benefit the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Is that you Vincent Browne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

ive put a lot of research in to this idea and the wikipedia article on a trans-atlantic tunnel estimates the cost of such a tunnel at being 175 billion to $12 trillion .......

Spotting a problem here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

ill grab me shovel

muletide wrote: »
    I think someone doesn't understand GDP, or tunnelling
    Would you go in a tunnel underneath the Atlantic? I sure as **** wouldn't.

what could go wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

trollface.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I have a hole.

a submarine train would be cool too or a floating railway that would work

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dilapidating

.........funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

When you are in a hole stop digging. (Literally)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Damn it. I thought someone was going to finally invest in my ladder company. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

a submarine train would be cool too or a floating railway that would work
    channel tunnel, mag-lev trains

Dude you are so unoriginal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

No, dig UP stupid!

No, dig UP stupid!
    You are a bit of a comedian!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

so if we just stop literally all spending for a while and invest everything in this mad big tunnel

This.

• Advertisement

im gonna start the funding for this tomorrow. gonna put a donation box for the trans-atlantic tunnel down in my local centra

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

Its close, but its not right...

Don't forget your shovel if you want to go to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

im gonna start the funding for this tomorrow. gonna put a donation box for the trans-atlantic tunnel down in my local centra

Go for it Sheeps. You'll find that most of the people here putting down your idea wouldn't have the balls to dig a transatlantic tunnel. I think B&Q are having a sale this weekend too so that should cut the cost of cement.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Build a hut on land no one owns. Hunt cows and sheep as food. Use a local river for water. Simple.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Build a hut on land no one owns. Hunt cows and sheep as food. Use a local river for water. Simple.
    That sounds like my idea of hell.

Where do I park my Porsche?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

sonic85 wrote: »
    ill grab me shovel

Don't forget your shovel if you want to go to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

So the equation is:

1. Transatlantic Tunnel
    2. ????????????
    3. Profit!

You also forget OP that if Irish planners are involved, there will be (deliberately or not) some fault that will require retrofiting at a cost of (Probably) several billion extra. It'll also take us probably 4 times longer than it should to build the thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

It's a pipe dream tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

OisinT wrote: »

Were my horses will be. Just ignore the ****e. Only a few places remaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

thats what north korea should do with their slave labor. put it to use on something as cool as a massive tunnel that would benefit the world

What benefit would a tunnel into and out of North Korea to anywhere have for the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Real answer:

We should build a 'trans-Mediterian through to africa railway' - Think about it - you get €400 after tax here, jump on this train do your shopping in Tesco Congo were you can buy a few goats, Guiness and maize for a euro then jump on the train home with €399 which you then can put towards a second property in one of these ghost towns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

About 2 weeks too late for a clever Chilean miner pun.

Damn you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Real answer:

We should build a 'trans-Mediterian through to africa railway' - Think about it - you get €400 after tax here, jump on this train do your shopping in Tesco Congo were you can buy a few goats, Guiness and maize for a euro then jump on the train home with €399 which you then can put towards a second property in one of these ghost towns

yeah especially when you factor in the €200 return train fare, fairy conomy, false economy..

OisinT wrote: »

Limited number of parking spots available @ €45,000.

• Advertisement

policarp wrote: »
    Well that does sound like a good deal. Where do I sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

policarp wrote: »

I'll take two please. One for me and one for my orange alter ego.

SoulTrader wrote: »
    It's a pipe dream tbh.

Well if t is can I have his pipe when he's finished?

Whatever he's smoking sounds Gooooooood............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

North Korea are already building tunnels to invade South Korea mine coal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Tunnel_of_Aggression
    Initially, North Korea denied building the tunnel.[1] However, observed drill marks for dynamite in the walls point towards South Korea and the tunnel is inclined so that water drains back towards the northern side of the DMZ (and thus out of the way of continued excavation).

North Korea then officially declared it part of a coal mine; black "coal" was painted on the walls by retreating soldiers to help confirm this statement.[7] However, statements in the tunnel claim that there is no geological likelihood of coal being in the area. The walls of the tunnel where tourists are taken are observably granite, a stone of igneous origin, whereas coal would be found in stone of sedimentary origin.[8]

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

That, on a international level, could only possibly work if we were entirely self-sufficient, which we aren't, we need to buy in goods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Knowing the Irish government, the tunnel would emerge in some 3rd world country and we'd have a massive influx of refugees/poor all claiming social welfare.

Advertisement