Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gravity Question

• 22-10-2010 12:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭

This is something I've always wondered since I was younger but I never got an answer to. It might sound like a stupid question.
    In school I was taught that gravity is a force that pulls everything towards the centre of the earth.
    So I always wondered...If I somehow dug a hole straight through the earth from north to south pole (like taking the core out of an apple) and if I jumped down, what would happen?
    Would I fall straight through? Would I fall till I got to the centre and then just float there? Would I be ripped apart?
    And now that I think of it.....what would happen to gravity if the Earth was rolled out into a flat sheet? (I mean like opening your closed fist). If the earth was laid out flat what would happen?
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Ignoring all of the temperature issues, and the fact that gravity would continue to try and pull the earth in around you, you would hang in mid air.....half way.

If the earth was rolled out in a flat sheet, gravity would pull it back into a sphere(ish) shape again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

If you drill a hole from one side to the other through the centre and jump down, you will oscillate between the two end points. This is neglecting friction of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Found it. I read this some years ago and I thought it might be relevant.

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-gravity-express

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

You would probably have to dig a cork screw shaped tunnel because of the earths slanted rotation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wouldn't be as bad at the poles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gary L

You wouldn't enjoy the magma.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Interesting side note: Everything exerts a gravitational pull. If you were to stand beside something large enough, say a mountain, that pull would actually be measurable. Initial measurements of the mass of the Earth were made by first measuring the gravitational pull of a large mountain on an iron ball of a known mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

stevenmu wrote: »
    Interesting side note: Everything exerts a gravitational pull. If you were to stand beside something large enough, say a mountain, that pull would actually be measurable. Initial measurements of the mass of the Earth were made by first measuring the gravitational pull of a large mountain on an iron ball of a known mass.

I read that in Bill Brysons-a short history of nearly everything-amazing book! I also read recently about an early experiment with 2 lead balls suspended by quartz threads that attracted each other with a measured force(Feynman).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think that's where I read it too, really good book.

Advertisement