Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cleaning computer

• 22-10-2010 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Want to clear my old desktop, completely clean but don't have the operating system disc to do a re-install. Wants the best way to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Buy a new operating system. Get an entry level win7 or something. Or ask around if anyone has an old XP key they don't need.

Don't get Vista.

On the other hand - if you don't need it for gaming you could download a free version of linux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

if your old desktop have the windows xp key, then all you need is windows xp OS where you can download and its not illegal because at the end you are using your serial number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭k123456

Your ver of windows may be imbedded on the hard drive in a hidden partition, so wont need CD's etc

To bring your PC to the state you bought it, it's a case of booting from this hidden image

The process vary's per manafacturer, it's just a case of pressing certain keys as the machine boots up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Ubuntu Linux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

If there's a sticker on your computer with the Windows XP(?) product key, then all you need to do is borrow a XP CD from someone, you can reinstall and activate it using the existing product key (Look for the partition mentioned above first). Someone above suggested getting windows 7, but if your desktop is old then you're probably better off sticking with XP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Razzuh wrote: »
    If there's a sticker on your computer with the Windows XP(?) product key, then all you need to do is borrow a XP CD from someone, you can reinstall and activate it using the existing product key (Look for the partition mentioned above first).

When I have the product key but no CD... I look at the Windows version and service pack level, then I source a copy of the same CD online and install XP with this.. There can be times where it doesnt work, but it's the first thing I would try...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 gracyj

There are softwares to clean your computer like CCleaner helps to clean your PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Back to this since I got a screen for the desktop. Can't find the disk and can't find anyone with one. If I format the drive do I need to re-install the OS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

yup, format means completely wiping it...

The latest version of ubuntu is super fast, and ubuntu is always fairly easy to comprehend as linux comes...

If you want to stick to windows, probably go for win7....

yup, format means completely wiping it...

The latest version of ubuntu is super fast, and ubuntu is always fairly easy to comprehend as linux comes...

If you want to stick to windows, probably go for win7....

Thought so, balls.

Hate Ubuntu/Linux, had to use it for college.:mad:

Win7 really isn't an option, the desktop only has 2GB ram so it would be at snails pace. Suppose I'll try get my hands on a XP disk somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

2GB ram will be ok for win 7,Microsoft recommend a min of 1GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 nvus

The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility (MSICUU2.exe), will clean EVERYTHING thats not your windows operating system off your PC
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Installer_CleanUp_Utility

How to troubleshoot problems that may occur when you install, uninstall, or upgrade a program on a Windows-based computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651/

Programs such as AIDA64 by Finalwire will list your licence keys under the opertaing system Tab for you.
    http://www.aida64.com/

Right back to this again, have the Product Key, and got an install disc but it's poxy Service Park 1 and not 3 which is on my computer, it won't let me install the disc since it's an older version.

Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Right back to this again, have the Product Key, and got an install disc but it's poxy Service Park 1 and not 3 which is on my computer, it won't let me install the disc since it's an older version.

Any suggestions?

You are happy enough to wipe the drive?

If XP will not let you do a clean install then one of the easiest things I can think of is to download and burn a Ubuntu boot cd and start the install process, go as far as the hdd/partition stage setup and simply delete the XP partition.

You can end the Linux install process anytime after this step, reboot and try the XP install again on your now partitionless hard drive.

marco_polo wrote: »
    You are happy enough to wipe the drive?

If XP will not let you do a clean install then one of the easiest things I can think of is to download and burn a Ubuntu boot cd and start the install process, go as far as the hdd/partition stage setup and simply delete the XP partition.

You can end the Linux install process anytime after this step, reboot and try the XP install again on your now partitionless hard drive.

Ye have everything I need on my laptop, the computer is a good few years old and is slow as f*ck so doing the reinstall to clean it up.

Have my dad checking in work tomorrow for a reinstall disc, if not I'll give your idea a check. Was hoping they'd be an easy way to add the Service Park 3 onto the disc or something like that.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Any suggestions?

It sounds like you're selecting the option to reinstall over the existing XP installation instead of doing a new XP installation. Try again and this time just do a new installation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

bhickey wrote: »
    It sounds like you're selecting the option to reinstall over the existing XP installation instead of doing a new XP installation. Try again and this time just do a new installation.

Doh on my part, this is a much better idea ^^^ :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭WildOscar

Ye have everything I need on my laptop, the computer is a good few years old and is slow as f*ck so doing the reinstall to clean it up.

Have my dad checking in work tomorrow for a reinstall disc, if not I'll give your idea a check. Was hoping they'd be an easy way to add the Service Park 3 onto the disc or something like that.:mad:
    download xp 3 and slipstream

bhickey wrote: »

The disc isn't booting when I restart my computer, so I go in and run it when the computer starts up. Only options it gives are:

Install Windows XP
    Install optional Windows components
    Perform additional tasks
    Check system compatibility

When I click on Install Windows XP it's then it says it can't be installed as the disc is an older edition that the OS already on the computer, disc being Service Pack 1 my computer having Service Pack 3.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you checked in the Bios that the Cd is set as a bootable drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Your moral compass won't point true north but it's good enough to get a hold of the CD imo as long as you are using your own proper serial and license. You have, after all, obtained a license to use the software. That isn't tied to a plastic disc.

You need to boot from CD. The BIOS needs to have it's boot order checked. When you start up, do you see with the disk inserted a black screen where it says "Press any key to Boot from CD..."?

Once you've booted from disk you can format the partition and start again. Just like the Cylons dwight-schrute-1.jpg

Was the boot sequence that wasn't in order only time I needed to do a reboot was on a laptop that didn't need to change the boot sequence, have it reinstalling now. Cheers all.

Now the fun begins!:D

Trying to set up my internet onto the computer using one of the standard eircom netopia adaptors but it's not connecting to the computer (no flashing light), do I need to download the Service Pack 3 for XP then install all the drivers for stuff like the adaptor, etc...?

Also when can I download the Service Park 3 from?

Wireless adaptor? Yeeeah.... do Service Pack 3 first.

For ALL the updates (Connect to a Cat5e Cable, simplest) launch Internet Explorer and go to the Windows Update Webpage, you can find it in bing or google. If you cant reach a cat5e to the router, get the adaptor drivers off its website. google the device.

*cough* windows 7 64-bit upgrade edition *cough* come on man. That XP is for the Dinosaurs and Luddites.

Overheal wrote: »
    Wireless adaptor? Yeeeah.... do Service Pack 3 first.

Wireless Adaptor = 3108l3ay9SL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Anywhere I can download Service Pack 3, save it to a USB and put it onto the computer?

For ALL the updates (Connect to a Cat5e Cable, simplest) launch Internet Explorer and go to the Windows Update Webpage, you can find it in bing or google. If you cant reach a cat5e to the router, get the adaptor drivers off its website. google the device.

Use the Cat5 Cable to connect my computer to my laptop or router?

Can't find the adaptors driver anywhere on the web, which is a joke considering it used to be the standard eircom used one. I'll look for the disc and whatnot.

*cough* windows 7 64-bit upgrade edition *cough* come on man. That XP is for the Dinosaurs and Luddites.

Have Win7 on my laptop, couldn't see the computer being able to handle Win7. XP will do, just plan on using my computer for college work and sh*te like that.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bb794714

id go for the Stand-Alone version for USB or the ISO if you have a functioning CD-Burner and dont want to use USB

the SAV is lighter than ISO version. not sure why that is. might be safer to use the ISO and burn it. The preferred method from Microsoft is to use Windows Update, needing you to connect the Desktop in directly to the Router.

Sound man, I'll try that after my exam tomorrow and report back if I can sort my internet (I'll see if I have any other discs in my attic for the adaptor).

Now the fun begins!:D

Trying to set up my internet onto the computer using one of the standard eircom netopia adaptors but it's not connecting to the computer (no flashing light), do I need to download the Service Pack 3 for XP then install all the drivers for stuff like the adaptor, etc...?

Also when can I download the Service Park 3 from?

I had that issue with XP SP1 and installing SP3 resolved

MS say SP3 for one PC is best obtained through automatic updates. But read this carefully http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/learn-how-to-install-windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3

"The installation package is intended for IT professionals and developers, but you can still download and install this file."

i think that is where i got it. i could not connect to router so could not get thru auto updates. i think this is your situation too?

All sorted and up and running, cheers lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭makavelithedon

apologies in advance for both my limited computer knowledge, and my hi-jacking of another individuals thread??
    I recently acquired a 6 year old Toshiba laptop, EQUIUM L20 197, model no psl2ze 001002cy. I suspected infection so i installed avg (free edition) and started a scan. Two "trojan horses??" and various other viruses appeared and basically wiped the whole computer. All i get when i switch it on is desktop backround with no icons.
    What are my options, can it be fixed? It has windows xp, 40gb hard disc drive, 256mb ddr2 installed ram, max supported ram 2gb, installed cache memory 1024 kb.
    Can i buy a disc and uninstall/install windows xp? windows 7?
    Thanks in advance for any help! first time poster.

apologies in advance for both my limited computer knowledge, and my hi-jacking of another individuals thread??
    I recently acquired a 6 year old Toshiba laptop, EQUIUM L20 197, model no psl2ze 001002cy. I suspected infection so i installed avg (free edition) and started a scan. Two "trojan horses??" and various other viruses appeared and basically wiped the whole computer. All i get when i switch it on is desktop backround with no icons.
    What are my options, can it be fixed? It has windows xp, 40gb hard disc drive, 256mb ddr2 installed ram, max supported ram 2gb, installed cache memory 1024 kb.
    XP Home or Pro?
    Can you boot from a ultimate boot cd for windows
    Here is link to download and try
    System Restore
    or
    XP Repair

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You'll need at least 1GB of RAM (4 times what you have) to run Windows 7. Ideally you would need the same for XP since a clean install will eat up ~200MB of your RAM. If there is a sticker on the bottom with the serial of the OS you can reinstall, if you have the correct CD. (XP Home or XP pro)

However on such low specs I would suggest looking at a lightweight Linux distro.

Advertisement