Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you/have you donated to Wikipedia?

• 22-10-2010 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭

They seem to be getting desperate. Theres a constant banner on the site now appealing for money. Apparently it costs $50 million dollars a year to run it. Won't be long before we see images of children crying.

In case you are too lazy to type it in the address bar...

Wikipedia

This is the appeal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

They do this every year - and every year it works. As much as its helped me, im still to tight to donate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

yep, I base mine on accuracy so they dont get any $$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Probably would if I wasn't a poor 18 year old with no job living at home in full time education. Cant see where the 50mil comes into it, i know people that can run websites for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

A few dodgy edits for lols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Saila wrote: »
    yep, I base mine on accuracy so they dont get any $$$
    The whole inaccuracy thing is years old now. The accuracy on wikipedia in the past 2 years has greatly increased and I doubt you can find much that is inaccurate on there ATM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

OisinT wrote: »
    The whole inaccuracy thing is years old now. The accuracy on wikipedia in the past 2 years has greatly increased and I doubt you can find much that is inaccurate on there ATM.

tell that to college lec s :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Only use it the odd time actually, plus i'm broke so no i wouldn't, nor have i ever, donate to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Saila wrote: »
    tell that to college lec s :pac:
    They just don't want you to get all your info from there usually. Many articles are just a superficial summary of the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

They'll surely manage but without advertising?

It's one of the last places on the net (bar boards etc) not tainted with bollix flash ads that make you want have an epileptic fit

Always check the sources on wiki before writing a college essay. Also better still just use the source list to find books to get info from firsthand.

• Advertisement

OisinT wrote: »

I've seen reports on the issue of accuracy and they are on a par with major encylopedias like Brittanica who also make mistakes. Obviously the trouble is that no one can intentionally falsify the Brittanica. But then, paper takes up space and can only be published periodically.

Benefits -v- Shortfalls?

1-0 Wikipedia I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Nulty wrote: »
    I've seen reports on the issue of accuracy and they are on a par with major encylopedias like Brittanica who also make mistakes. Obviously the trouble is that no one can intentionally falsify the Brittanica. But then, paper takes up space and can only be published periodically.

Benefits -v- Shortfalls?

1-0 Wikipedia I'd say

You took that result straight from Wiki.

The real score, according to official FIFA records was 4-3 after penalties.

Nulty wrote: »

Benefits -v- Shortfalls?

1-0 Wikipedia I'd say
    You ever tried to edit a wiki article with bull****? changes get reverted in minutes. The moderators are very efficient.

2-0 to wiki if i may say so.

You took that result straight from Wiki.

The real score, according to official FIFA records was 4-3 after penalties.

Thats odd....cause they were playing hockey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

They have every right to ask for donations, they provide a wonderful service.

I still won't give them anything of course. They should probably just .comify and stick a few non invasive ads up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

I donate 10Eur every year. I feel its more than value for the service they provide...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I have.

It's pretty invaluable.

Advertisement