Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight delay compensation

Options
  • 22-10-2010 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

Was flying back from Stansted to Dublin on Wednesday. Flight ended up being delayed for nearly four hours, landed about 3:45 late.
    Got zero information in the airport, and as it happened after I'd passed through security, wasn't able to go back to the Ryanair desk.
    From a quick glance at the EU regs, it would appear I was entitled to some form of refreshment allowance. Given that I did actually eat in the airport while I was delayed, is there any way I can claim this back, and if so how?
    (Given that it's Ryanair - and that the delay is possibly related to the French situation - I'm not seriously expecting to get anywhere, but wondering if anyone's done it before)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Generally they just hand them out when you're waiting. I got a whole 8e voucher for my flight being delayed 8 hours in Portugal. I had another flight delayed by 3 hours in Spain and they didn't give us any vouchers so instead they gave us e5 worth of food from the trolley on board.

I don't think you're going to be able to claim anything back, if anything you will get a voucher for the actual airport as that's what's given out rather than cash. Considering you didn't need to buy anything, it wouldn't have really made a difference, it wasn't a cash payout and it's so insignificant. They should have given it to you at the time however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

From the site you linked to:
    Is the passenger entitled to any monetary compensation in the event of a delay?

Not unless the delay exceeds three hours and then only in limited circumstances. The Court of Justice of the EU ruled on 19th November 2009 in the joined cases of Sturgeon v Condor Flugdienst GmbH and Bock and others v Air France SA C-402 and 423/07 that compensation may be payable as if the flight was cancelled where the resulting delay is longer than three hours. However, compensation will not be payable if the air carrier can prove that the delay was caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.

What if the airline does not provide assistance when the flight is delayed? Is the passenger entitled to claim reimbursement of any drinks and food and telephone calls from the airline?

The Regulation is silent on this. However, it would be contrary to the spirit and purpose of the Regulation for the airline to refuse to reimburse reasonable expenditure for items it should have provided under the Regulation. It is important to have regard to the word ”reasonable” here. Even if the airline does not observe it’s obligations in offering you the assistance it should under the Regulation, this does not mean that you should expect to be reimbursed for a five course dinner in the event of a three hour delay.

If the airline does not provide you with the assistance provided for under the Regulation, you should go to the check in area or the boarding desk of the airline and request written notice of your rights in accordance with Article 14 of the Regulation. If this is refused or there is still no attempt by the airline to offer any assistance, you should ensure that you keep all receipts for food and drinks and calls for presentation to the airline on your return or for forwarding to the Commission for Aviation Regulation to notify the Commission of the infringement or for production in the Small Claims Court if you decide to take legal action to recover your costs.

I think you're out of luck. Since you'd be entitled to so little anyway, and you'd probably have to use the small claims court to get it, it would probably end up costing you money.

Advertisement