Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plan to reduce spending by 25% to keep the IMF out.

• 22-10-2010 1:58am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Back in the 1940's there was a economic plan proposed that we could use today to save us.

THE BROTHER has it all worked out.
    What?
    The war. How we can get through the war here in the Free State. I mean the rationing and the brown bread and all that class of thing. The brother has a plan. Begob you'll be surprised when you hear it. A very high view was taken when it was explained in the digs the other night.
    What is the nature of this plan?
    It's like this. I'll tell you. We all go to bed for one week every month. Every single man, woman and child in the country. Cripples, drunks, policemen, watchmen - everybody. Nobody is allowed to be up. No newspapers, 'buses, pictures, or any other class of amusement allowed at all. And no matter who you are you must be stuck inside in the bed there. Readin' a book of course, if you like. But no getting up stakes.
    That strikes me a curious solution to difficulties in this dynamic iron age.
    D'ye see, when nobody is up, you save clothes, shoes, rubber, petrol, coal, turf, timber and everything we're short of. And food too, remember. Because tell me this - what makes you hungry? It's work that makes you hungry. Work and walking around and swallying pints and chawin' the rag at the street corner. Stop in bed an' all you'll ask for is an odd slice of bread. Or a slice of fried bread to make your hair curly, says you. If nobody's up, there's no need for anybody to do any work because everybody in the world does be workin' for everybody else.
    I see. In a year therefore you would effect a saving of twenty-five per cent in the consumption of essential commodities.
    Well now, I don't know about that, but you'd save a quarter of everything, and that would be enough to see us right.
    But why get up after a week?
    The bakers, man. The bakers would have to get up to bake more bread, an if wan is up, all has to be up. Do you know why? Because damn the bit of bread your men the bakers would make for you if the rest of us were in bed. Your men couldn't bear the idea of everybody else being in bed and them working away in the bakery. The brother says we have to make allowances for poor old human nature. That's what he called it. Poor old human nature. And begob he's not far wrong.
    Very interesting. He would do well to communicate this plan to responsible Government department.
    You're not far wrong there yourself. Bye-bye, here's me bus!

(from Cruiskeen Lawn, in The Irish Times, during The Emergency. Available in Flann O'Brien's "The Best of Myles")

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Does this mean there's no tunnel? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

TheZohan wrote: »
    Does this mean there's no tunnel? :(
    Woah, lets not jump to conclusions here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Yeh! And in 9 months time the country will be crippled with childrens allowance claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If the IMF get a hold of this country we are fcuked. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Mary Harney stated that 70% of the HSE budget is in wages - this can't be right? 70% of €4.9 billion in 2009. How many people are employed in the HSE?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

stoneill wrote: »
    Mary Harney stated that 70% of the HSE budget is in wages - this can't be right? 70% of €4.9 billion in 2009. How many people are employed in the HSE?
    Time now to get the crows out of the chimney, same goes for CIE.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

*Hits reset button*

If it were only as easy :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Time now to get the crows out of the chimney, same goes for CIE.

What's CIE doing in the chimney? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I'm not buying into this...what if I have to pee??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Why is everyone so frightened of IMF? They make great furniture? .......no wait that's MFI:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

stoneill wrote: »

Way too many un productive people on high salaries who will not be sacked or have to take pay cuts because of the Croke Park agreement.:rolleyes:
    Instead, services and front line staff are in the firing line, you really ****ed it up FF and Hearney.:mad:

Advertisement