Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best thing to tell kids when you can't afford presents?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

I know what it's like for money to be tight in a household but:

Could they not keep €10-€20 out of each months Child Benefit and try and save money on household things (I know they are probably doing this but if not). They would hopefully have €50 or so by Christmas.

They could get loads for that (books, jigzaws, clothes (pennys))..

I really hope they sort something out and that their money problems improve!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

jumbletown.ie and ikea have some really nice things for under a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

When we were kids, my mam always said santa only gave toys to the poor children and that she had to pay santa for our toys..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Just incase anyone was in the Cork area. I am doing a big clear out have why too much that I do not use,and also I am a big kid so I have lotsa kids stuff..If anyone wanted some decent teddies or a few bits I have a big box full of things I can check to see what is there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

i have a six year old and a two year old and last xmas found it very hard. so both kids asked for suprises and i did up little hampers. the two year old got colours, toy cars, bob the builder picture for room, socks, sweets etc. the six year old got things for baking, ingredients from tesco, cook book for kids, art supplies. most of the presents were bought in the 2 euro shop but when you put them in a basket with a ribbon they look great. we spent xmas day baking fairy cakes, painting pictures, etc. it was a great day and year for us. there are more important things than the big presents. its what you make of the time you have with the kids that they will remember.:D
    I love this post...the last line speaks volumes

I know of people that spoil their kids rotten with big expensive presents and are almost competitive with other parents about what they buy/ how much they spend

I realise it must be so hard for parents that are cash-strapped this year but kids will remember the fun time they had playing games, painting pictures or baking with mom or dad on christmas morning quicker than any present

memories are priceless:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

grizzly wrote: »
    his wife just went on a two day week.
    I hope she's aware that she can claim (welfare-related) monies for having her work week reduced.

Check the adverts.ie free section - they may spot something that the kid has looking for.

Clothes that they want can be a present. It allows the parents to cloth them, and also let them think that it was part of Santas present. I know clothes are not free, but if the parents have bought them clothes, rather than just giving the clothes to the kids, give them clothes "via Santa".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I was just looking in that box of stuff and I have the Enchanted DS game which is in the box with all the manuals and in perfect nick I played it once and can clear everything on it if anyone would like it. And a pilates DVD the 10 minute solution - Laura Hudson. Which I watched once so tis in perfect nick too if anyone would like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

The person above who mentioned time is spot on, ok my little fella is only 14 months ( and another one on the way ) so Santa isn't a big deal yet. But santa has put a limit on the spending so January won't be a month of eating bread and water.

Whats more important to us is time off with him at Christmas, i work 2 jobs all year and have a long daily commute so a full week off to play with him is worth more than any toy. I can tell that by thr way his face lights up when i come home in the evening.

I've seen other family members spend silly money at Christmas in the past and borrow to buy toys that just sit in the corner days later.

Kids just want something to open that morning, it doesn't have to be the latest thing or what their friends get. As mentioned above use ebay, 2nd hand and the best of all the old suprise.

I hope all goes well for the OP's friend and family and you remember Santa don't have the bring the earth and stars to see a childs face light up:)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

My sister has two girls and a boy, for the girls PJ's and slippers,bits of jewellery from pennys who also they have cute handbags etc for next to nothing!

And toy cars, books, secondhand ds games for her little lad, also it the child wants a bike ask around you'd be surprised how quick some kids grow out of their my Little brother passed on his we sprayed with spray paint got loads of ben 10 stickers and nephew was none the wiser, he loved it!

The Euro shops have great little dolls with outfits etc for only two euro.

I use to buy the girls dress up clothes when they were younger -all the costumes on sale after halloween ;)

For people who are saying can you not put something away a week for the year a fiver a week only amounts to 260 at the end of the year the price of some presents are crazy the 260 would just cover one!

I know I would just manage a fiver a week, and I dont have any kids (yet)

To answer actually question I heard a friend say to her son well its a recession for santy too, and limited what he could ask for if they picked something to big and something else make sure its something they really want and state that they cant get anything else if they chose this as, santy had loads of other kids to get to this year. My sister also uses this approach makes the child really think about it and give you time to find it at a budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

If you go to the SVDP they will generally or have been known to in the past provide you with some gifts for the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

magentas wrote: »
    I know of people that spoil their kids rotten with big expensive presents and are almost competitive with other parents about what they buy/ how much they spend

I realise it must be so hard for parents that are cash-strapped this year but kids will remember the fun time they had playing games, painting pictures or baking with mom or dad on christmas morning quicker than any present

memories are priceless:)

Completely agree with this !!
    The Christmases that my little girl remembers are the ones where we played snowballs in pyjamas and wellies at 8am or had toasted marshmallows and selection pack chocolates for breakfast, rather that what she GOT.

OP - for 4 and 6 year-olds, silly stuff, the stuff that mum & dad wouldn't normally let them have given by Father Christmas is a good start.
    Joke shop type things like whoopee cushions, squirty flowers, etc went down well.
    Places online like Hawkin's Bazaar http://www.hawkin.com/ and Stockingfillers http://www.stocking-fillers.co.uk/ I've used in the past

But take the time to have a laugh with them and make the memories that will last long after the presents are covered in dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭weatherguy

Milly. You are very generous. A giver.
    In a perverse sort of way maybe this Christmas will bring everyone back down to earth and realise what Christmas is all about.
    For years I've resented the fact that the festive season is a piss up for adults and materialistic for children.
    I loved xmas as a child. We didn't get much, but I have really happy memories of the parties, the games we played, the laughs, watching TV.
    Feeling wanted and cosy with my lovely parents with a blazing fire and beautiful xmas tree.
    We would go for a long walk around Howth in our wellies and mackintoshes on Christmas morning which was usually wet. We'd visit relations in Malahide, Sutton and Clontarf. We'd be back home by 1pm and my Gran and Grandad, who lived with us, would have started the dinner.
    My mam and dad always had time for us.
    I remember however the other side.
    An uncle and aunt always had to be better than the rest of their siblings in what they gave their children. They were also heavy drinkers, not just at Christmas but during the year too. You see, their rationale was to buy their three children very expensive pressies and then let them skidaddle off to play while they got sozzled.
    I remember visiting their home one xmas morning at around 11.30am. Their kids were crying, cowering under the stairs as we arrived while their parents were having a blazing row in their dining room unaware one of their kids let us all in.
    It was so embarrassing.
    When they visited our home for a xmas party, they always liked to tell what they got their kids and how much it cost.
    i don't go near them now. I still keep in touch with their children who turned out lovely people. But their mother and father are alone in their large house with all mod cons but no true spirit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

young kids will probably spend as much time playing with the box as with the toy

remember how little you had as a kid ( ask your parents ) christmas is not about lining the pockets of multinationals

My Uncle used to give us books or book tokens, after a while it was the best present (for me)

you can reuse toys , one year I got a castle that my grandfather made for my father, one of my cousins got it later

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

When you cant afford too much Santa ,try telling your children that Santa has lots more children this year, as you count as many countries as you can and don't forget to include all the new babies...If their school is involved in the Christmas shoe box appeal,then remind them that Santa has to visit those children...better yet start your Santa shop all year round most shops do work on the deposit system.....the trick is only pick and pay off one item at a time,that way you don't get in dept and Christmas,birthdays etc. are covered in advance....also buy 2nd hand...My children have never got what they wanted from Santa on the year that they asked,they may get it the following year,and never once has there been a complaint,they are just happy that he came.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I don't know if this helps anyone, but look at the website instructables.com (Link)

You could easily make up a pack of stuff to make some of the stuff in there and print out the instructions, and not only will the kids make something cool and have stuff to do on Christmas day, most of the stuff is really amazing, it's hard to believe people come up with it!

I know a lot of my presents this year will be made by me as per instructions on there. Needs have as needs must. I think a lot of people are taking stock in the last few years and realising that materialism isn't the way to go...

Plus, I agree with posters who've already said that Christmas for kids, for anyone, is about the atmosphere and memories from the day. My favourite Christmases as a kid- I couldn't for the life of me tell you the presents I got but I remember the days vividly!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 limerick_lady

Wow - this thread has made me feel so fortunate not to have trouble buying my wee lad (14 months old) his christmas pressies this year, not that he'll notice the size/value anyway. since reading it yesterday, I've decided that we're going to get him something very small (and encourage both sets of grand parents to do the same) and give a donation to VdP.

Thanks for reminding so many of us of the important things at christmas! :)

Advertisement