Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mission [May contain spoilers]

• 22-10-2010 5:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭

This will probably be spoilerfied, so if you're reading try to keep up with the latest episodes before reading.

Started to wonder what Destiny's Mission is. We know it clearly has one. We know that it was launched an unbelievably long time ago (Gateworld thinks its in the order of millions of years) And its been flying in a straight vector, which for me rules out the notion that its simply there to seed galaxies with stargates. And if that, why use Destiny, and not simply a fleet of Seeder Ships?

Wherever it's heading: the center of the Universe, the Edge of the Universe, I think the whole function of the Seeder ships is to create those necessary pit stops along the way for a human/ancient crew; for Food, Water, Lime, R&R, you name it. If the purpose was to establish new gate networks, the range would be greater, to where each gate in a galaxy could gate to each other. Ask yourself why they can't, even when Destiny's 9-chevron gate can dial to and from Earth at an incalculable distance?

And they launched it for the long haul. This was no space shuttle Endeavor that they planned to retire in 50 years. Destiny and her Seed ships were designed to be fueled by the stars, and have withstood millions of years of deep space travel into the unknown. Those FTL drives have been up and running constantly, and with what maintenance? They were launched crewless at a time before Pegasus was fully networked and the wraith were a threat and Atlantis was established, to name a few things. And in those intervening thousands/tens of thousands/millions of years, after they developed Pegasus, lost the war with the Wraith, came back to the Milky Way and died off from an unexplained plague, before finally learning how to ascend to the next plane, the never dialed the 9th Chevron, and never boarded Destiny. Why? They were fully capable of it.

Ask yourself those things.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

They died of a plague?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

well not all of them, not the ones that ascended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Good questions, that lead to a possible amazing story line and large development of the Stargate back story. I hope the producers get the money to continue the development, current ratings do not look good for the long term.

the ratings are fine, last week competed with Major League Baseball. Edit: expect more MLB dips, the Texas Rangers are going to the World Series for the first time ever. Which in terms of baseball, is a must-see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

and the fact that the current ratings don't take into account DVR +7 ratings makes it more likely that SGU will continue on, but that's a whole other thread.

Just to add to your OP, Overheal, Rush said in the season 1 premiere (i think), that the gates destiny connected to were an older design than the ones found in the Milky Way or Pegasus galaxies (the SGU gates have a more limited range), so this project of the Ancients must have happened early on in their empire building.
    I wonder did they detect something far out in the universe, and send Destiny out to investigate it, but Destiny didn't get out far enough for them to gate to the ship before the Ancients ascended. they may not have anticipated that they'd evolve to a higher plane for millions of years to come, ie around humanity's time, so the current team onboard Destiny will have to deal with whatever the Ancients detected.

Edit: Just an afterthought: been thinking why did the Ancients launch Destiny in that particular direction? This would kinda support my reasoning above...that they detected something (some threat or something that was unknown to them, like the possibility of an all-knowing God a lá one of the Star Trek films)

Just my own thoughts, could be totally off the mark

• Advertisement

whiteman19 wrote: »
    and the fact that the current ratings don't take into account DVR +7 ratings makes it more likely that SGU will continue on, but that's a whole other thread.

Just to add to your OP, Overheal, Rush said in the season 1 premiere (i think), that the gates destiny connected to were an older design than the ones found in the Milky Way or Pegasus galaxies (the SGU gates have a more limited range), so this project of the Ancients must have happened early on in their empire building.
    I wonder did they detect something far out in the universe, and send Destiny out to investigate it, but Destiny didn't get out far enough for them to gate to the ship before the Ancients ascended. they may not have anticipated that they'd evolve to a higher plane for millions of years to come, ie around humanity's time, so the current team onboard Destiny will have to deal with whatever the Ancients detected.

Edit: Just an afterthought: been thinking why did the Ancients launch Destiny in that particular direction? This would kinda support my reasoning above...that they detected something (some threat or something that was unknown to them, like the possibility of an all-knowing God a lá one of the Star Trek films)

Just my own thoughts, could be totally off the mark
    Well when you think of Hubble, and where we are technologically in reality, it stands to reason the ancients could have seen much farther. The farthest recorded galaxy to date is about 30 billion light years away. To try and put that into fictional perspective, the McKay/Carter bridge was 3 million Light years long. Or 1/10,000 of the distance of the farthest known galaxy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I would hazard a guess at maybe trying to see what's outside the Universe/pursuit of God (owing to the heavy religious themes in the show)/center of the Universe.

Perhaps it has something to do with the Star Builders from Season 1, a civilisation that advanced would have to have been around for millenia. Maybe they're some form of Ancient Ancients, a race that gave rise to the Alterans in the aftermath of the Big Bang and seeded the Universe anew much like the Seeder race in the episode "The Chase" in Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Maybe if they get to the centre of the universe (though in reality, probably doesn't exist, since the universe isn't a defined shape as far as we know), they'll discover what is creation or some crap like that :/
    there's also the name of the ship itself: Destiny, which kinda implies that it's something grand, like fate or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Maybe if they get to the centre of the universe (though in reality, probably doesn't exist, since the universe isn't a defined shape as far as we know), they'll discover what is creation or some crap like that :/
    there's also the name of the ship itself: Destiny, which kinda implies that it's something grand, like fate or something.

???? We do know where the center of the universe is. Seing as all galaxies are moving further apart from each other due to the initial force of the big bang we can trace their path of travel back to the origin.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/centre.html

There is no centre to the expansion, it's the same everywhere. Anyway the Big Bang is only a theory, but the expansion isn't slowing down as one might expect from an explosion, it's actually increasing. anywho, this is getting OT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

...Anyway the Big Bang is only a theory, but the expansion isn't slowing down as one might expect from an explosion, it's actually increasing. anywho, this is getting OT.

:(nnnnrrrrrrgggggkkk:mad:

Sorry for continuing OT, but "only a theory" is a pet hate. Please don't confuse the word "theory" when it is used in a scientific context:

American Association for the Advancement of Science
    In detective novels, a "theory" is little more than an educated guess, often based on a few circumstantial facts. In science, the word "theory" means much more. A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. Such fact-supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world.

... & at the risk of pedantry, the Big Bang is not an "explosion", rather the Big Bang Theory deals with the expansionist development of the universe in time.

Sorry... I'll leave you be now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭somuj

James74 wrote: »
    :(nnnnrrrrrrgggggkkk:mad:

Sorry for continuing OT, but "only a theory" is a pet hate. Please don't confuse the word "theory" when it is used in a scientific context:

American Association for the Advancement of Science

... & at the risk of pedantry, the Big Bang is not an "explosion", rather the Big Bang Theory deals with the expansionist development of the universe in time.

Sorry... I'll leave you be now...

And the moon is made from cheese :eek:

I think most of us here live in the stargate universe so anything is possible. Just because its a theory does not mean its fact. I remember a guy who was fond of apples and his math explained the know universe and everything was perfect in it. Then along came this wooly head fellow and threw a spanner in the works.

A theory is only a theory because its just a theory(even in the scientific sense), otherwise we would be discussing the big bang "fact".

With our miniscule brains we cant be sure of anything. Just because both sides of the equations balance now does not mean they will in a few hundred years.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

somuj wrote: »
    A theory is only a theory because its just a theory(even in the scientific sense), otherwise we would be discussing the big bang "fact".

With our miniscule brains we cant be sure of anything. Just because both sides of the equations balance now does not mean they will in a few hundred years.

I refer you to my previous answer m'lud.... (and the links if you are interested if reading up on why a scientific theory is not "only a theory".

I'm going away now because people make me weep a little bit...

I knew it would be something interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

interesting alright, but i dunno how they are gonna carry it on for the rest of the season let alone others!

Thats the thing: they dont have to. The gateworld podcast nailed it a few months ago - that the ancients were far more interesting when we knew so little about them. They were enigmatic. And then in atlantis it's like, oh look, we're taking the house back, ha ha; arrogance; blaaa replicators fcuk,,,we're noobs.

Im hazarding a guess that the producers will try and be deliberately elusive about major things. The whole "finding atlantis" plotline worked really well when we weren't sure what it was. Even BSG worked really well when we didn't evenknow if Earth really existed, if the Gods/God even existed canonically in the universe of the show or not; and the question of who shot JR has outlived the subject of the very question itslef... such as who the hell JR is (wihtout googling).

The less the writers "spell out" in exacting detail is left up to imagination, and this is science fiction after all. They'll string it alongm oh yes. And I think as time goes on we'll see more clues and evidence of the - I don't know what you'd call them. Titans; Star-Builders; Progenitors; Creators; Gods; but not Ferlings. No way. No how.

That is of course why threads of this nature exist: speculation. the Writers-strike extended gap in BSG was sure filled with some lengthy discussions about who the fifth cylon was :) nobody talks about something without some open strings. I only hope they don't give too much away all at once.

Advertisement